Anyone got a DAB FM Transmitter in their car?

What's Hot
I got one as a present but have no idea how the bloody thing works!

Instructions are toilet paper!

Plug it in - check

Then what? ...

All I want to do is get DAB radio in my car.  Does it hook up to your radio and play in DAB based upon what station is selected?

Clueless  :#

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    I've got a DAB and they're pretty awesome tbf, once you get them up and running anyway, I wonder how I lived without it.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I had a Pure one once. I think you do a scan with the new unit and it finds a spare channel on the car radio. You tune to that then find the various DAB channels on the new unit. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    edited July 2019

Plug it in - check

Then what? ...

All I want to do is get DAB radio in my car.  Does it hook up to your radio and play in DAB based upon what station is selected?

Clueless 

Do you have any details of what manufacturer or model it is? Maybe a photo?

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Is this one that picks up a DAD station, then rebroadcasts it on FM so you can pick it up on the FM car radio?

Is this one that picks up a DAD station, then rebroadcasts it on FM so you can pick it up on the FM car radio?

Yup. It basically just uses the car radio as the amp. 

Ps is a DAD station Planet Rock?  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Too many DAD stations on FM already.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489

Plug it in - check

Then what? ...

Clueless 

Do you have any details of what manufacturer or model it is? Maybe a photo?

It is this one. I have tried changing the frequency on both radio and adapter to 87.5 (no radio station) and to Radio X 104.9

When I get both set to 104.9 I get nothing. If I unplug the adapter the radio works - hmm...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N18X4MQ?aaxitk=tfWg9U2UrepzgFtmOrSEqg&pd_rd_i=B07N18X4MQ&pf_rd_p=0192e6ab-5959-4731-9929-242726c28327&hsa_cr_id=5014861640102&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F71qXSyvu-lL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B07N18X4MQ
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2019
    That doesn't look like a DAB (or DAD, sorry) transmitter.

That's one that you can plug your phone/memory stick etc into it which will then broadcast via FM to your car. Ideal if you don't have an aux in on the car stereo.

I had a similar one years back, you find a frequency on your car radio that's clear, then tune the new whatsit to that frequency. Then plug in a USB cable from another device and there you go.

You can get similar devices that pick up and re-broadcast DAB signals, but that ain't one of them.
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Although not exactly in reply to OP, I have an FM/CD radio and I plug the iPhone into ‘Aux in’ and can get DAB channels that way.  (3.5mm headphone lead). 

That's one that you can plug your phone/memory stick etc into it which will then broadcast via FM to your car. Ideal if you don't have an aux in on the car stereo.

I had a similar one years back, you find a frequency on your car radio that's clear, then tune the new whatsit to that frequency. Then plug in a USB cable from another device and there you go.

You can get similar devices that pick up and re-broadcast DAB signals, but that ain't one of them.
    Spot on  :+1: 

@lovestrat74   You 'might' be able to link your mobile via bluetooth to the new device that you have, then use a radio app on the phone that can receive DAB stations & stream to the device in your car.   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.radioplayer&hl=en_GB
    Like most such theoretical setups, it may, or may not work, but you have nothing to lose but a bit of time 
    ;) 

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489

Spot on  :+1: 

@lovestrat74   You 'might' be able to link your mobile via bluetooth to the new device that you have, then use a radio app on the phone that can receive DAB stations & stream to the device in your car.   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.radioplayer&hl=en_GB
    Like most such theoretical setups, it may, or may not work, but you have nothing to lose but a bit of time  ;) 

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Looks like I'll have to download some apps and give it a go. What's the point of the FM feature on these things then  :s
    Looking through the Amazon reviews of the device, it looks as if it will do what you want (have a browse).

The FM feature is so you can connect a iPod or MP3 player, phone or whatever to the device you have, which then broadcasts to the car radio on a designated FM frequency.
    I have found such solutions work, but they are bloody fiddly when driving, often dangerously so.
    Good luck  ;)

Have a close read of the Amazon ad.
    Apparently it has " biting flower craft metal texture'  ' surface sandblasted oxidised apple ash' & my favourite ' new thickened non slip shrapnel' !   :3

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The issue I had with the Pure DAB transmitter was you need to tune it to a spare FM channel. Which is fine when you set off from home, but then you discover the spare channel isn't spare in another area and you have to start over.  
    boogieman said:
    The issue I had with the Pure DAB transmitter was you need to tune it to a spare FM channel. Which is fine when you set off from home, but then you discover the spare channel isn't spare in another area and you have to start over.  
    Too right.
    I refer you to my earlier comment "I have found such solutions work, but they are bloody fiddly when driving, often dangerously so."

All this technology & none of it (usually) sodding works.
    I despair for the future generations, stuck with cleaning up after our attitude of " here's a solution that is cheap. Oh, it doesn't work, never mind, it was cheap, throw it away & we'll try again soon".