What is 'wrong' with playing a bass like playing a guitar?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978
The statement 'playing a bass like playing a guitar' comes up frequently.  What exactly is wrong with playing the bass like a guitar? It has often been said that Gerry McAvoy played bass in that manner and it did not seem to matter to Rory Gallagher.  Wondering what people mean when they issue statements like that.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Nothing. It is a very valid option, a la Motorhead, Red Fang, Placebo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very much depends on the style of music I think. If you're playing riff-based rock stuff then it's no bother. If you play soul/R&B/blues etc then it won't really gel stylistically, you'll mostly need to be 'taking it for a walk' with the bassline.
  • Usually when people say this they're really just saying that the bassist is being a shredhead widdly-widdle knob. The basses job is to bridge the gap between the guitar and the drums, so it needs to be rhythmic, percussive, and melodic, all in one. Depends on the style of course.

Lots of jazz bassists can widdle-widdle as well as hold down the low end. Lots of rock bassists are crap because they only play root notes, which gets boring very quickly.

Bye!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    IRONY ALERT!!!

I recall many threads where Rocker has criticised the likes of Marcus Miller / Sheehan / anyone who likes a bit of distortion on a bass as ignoring what the bass is for.

Then going on to say that bassists should only be playing root notes.

Seems there are 2 options.

1: Rocker's newly found love of bass has made him realise that there is a hell of a lot more to it than just playing root notes; or
    2: He's trolling.

I'm beginning to wonder if he's not an old dude with knackered hearing, shouting at clouds, but is actually a bored insurance salesman in his thirties who has created a character.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Back in the 70s they used to say I played lead bass...
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 256
    Depends on who you are performing with, in my opinion if you want to play bass like a guitar perhaps you would be better off as a guitarist. When I’m gigging on bass I prefer to stoke the boiler and let someone else drive the train.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    As long as you play bass appropriately for the type of band you’re in who cares.  Sheehan in Oasis probably wouldn’t work, I’d still go along though ;)
  • BarefacedAudioBarefacedAudio Frets: 34
    tFB Trader
    I'm not a widdly widdly solo type of bassist but I often play bass like a guitar - but like a rhythm guitarist doing chords, arpeggios, sometimes bass and guitar parts at the same time, etc. I don't think the bass guitar has to do BASS all the time - music doesn't need to have BASS all the time, and in fact the bass can have a lot more impact when you remove it and then drop it back in. I write on the bass and I'll write guitar parts and sometimes the guitarist will play them but sometimes I will - there's a lot of notes available up the neck.

If the bass guitar / electric bass had a different name we'd probably be less prone to pigeonholing it. At the end of the day, it's just a very big guitar! Just play GOOD music, follow your heart, trust your ears (and listen!)

It's really common for bassists to think that they have to play root notes in the lowest possible octave (on a 4 string certainly) or they're not DOING THEIR JOB. Go and listen to Family Man on all the Bob Marley recordings. So much groove, but so much melody; so bassy and fat but not all down super low. Go and listen to Wille Weeks on Donny Hathaway Live. Go and listen to Geezer Butler on Paranoid. Go and listen to Jaco on Invitation. Listen to McCartney on Sgt Pepper. Listen to Larry Graham on The Jam. Listen to Bootsy on Give Up The Funk.

Be the groove, be the rhythm. Imply the pulse (but you don't need to play it). Time, tone, taste. Be free!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • IRONY ALERT!!!

I recall many threads where Rocker has criticised the likes of Marcus Miller / Sheehan / anyone who likes a bit of distortion on a bass as ignoring what the bass is for.

Then going on to say that bassists should only be playing root notes.

Seems there are 2 options.

1: Rocker's newly found love of bass has made him realise that there is a hell of a lot more to it than just playing root notes; or
    2: He's trolling.

I'm beginning to wonder if he's not an old dude with knackered hearing, shouting at clouds, but is actually a bored insurance salesman in his thirties who has created a character.
    I very nearly posted the Karnivool video he was hating on a while back, but resisted!

Bye!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Rocker said:
    The statement 'playing a bass like playing a guitar' comes up frequently.  What exactly is wrong with playing the bass like a guitar?
    Barney eventually gets pissed off and sacks you.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Not sure what the term "playing bass like a guitar" means either...

Or maybe I just "play guitar like a bass".

I play what I think best serves the song, or adds groove.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    surely you play an instrument in a manner that is relevant to the song or tune you are playing, the context you are playing it in and appropriate to where in the piece you are, or am I missing something?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    VimFuego said:
    surely you play an instrument in a manner that is relevant to the song or tune you are playing, the context you are playing it in and appropriate to where in the piece you are, or am I missing something?
    In my world, the main factor dictating what I play, whether on guitar or bass, is my own profound lack of ability.

I play root notes...or somewhere near them! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    VimFuego said:
    In my world, the main factor dictating what I play, whether on guitar or bass, is my own profound lack of ability.

Amen Brother :)

Can I play with a plectrum as well....? <ducks flying bass from @bridgehouse >
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    It IS the job of the bass to cover the root, but not exclusively :/  There are other notes (other than the 5th ;) )

Walking is a key part, as is setting the groove. It is different.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    It's really common for bassists to think that they have to play root notes in the lowest possible octave (on a 4 string certainly) or they're not DOING THEIR JOB. Go and listen to Family Man on all the Bob Marley recordings. So much groove, but so much melody; so bassy and fat but not all down super low. Go and listen to Wille Weeks on Donny Hathaway Live. Go and listen to Geezer Butler on Paranoid. Go and listen to Jaco on Invitation. Listen to McCartney on Sgt Pepper. Listen to Larry Graham on The Jam. Listen to Bootsy on Give Up The Funk.

Been listening to him a lot recently. Very melodic player; used a jazz bass, so no earth shattering dub style lows but just the right amount to anchor the rhythm while playing these melodic riffs countering Bob's vocal. Very inspiring player.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    VimFuego said:

Plectrum is perfectly valid for bass. 

What I object to is people insisting that fingers is a waste of time when a pick will do...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396

The actual "sound" of a band is the bass and drums. There's no rules to playing bass, you get the sound you want how you want. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Danny1969 said:

The actual "sound" of a band is the bass and drums. There's no rules to playing bass, you get the sound you want how you want. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    VimFuego said:

Plectrum is perfectly valid for bass. 

What I object to is people insisting that fingers is a waste of time when a pick will do...
    One looks a lot cooler playing Bass with fingers, that sort of gentle barely flicking the string thing looks epic.

I just sort of suck at it...

Where do I start "walking" from the root note?  I've learnt a few little riffs and I know where roots are so could play bass on an Oasis song (which is good, I love Oasis) but that's as far as I've got...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...