FFS...bloody Cash Converters

What's Hot
shadyshady Frets: 252
Went in for a quick mooch, came out with a Line 6 extension cab. Don't need it particularly, just might be interesting running my closed back alongside this shabby looking open back job.

Only £35 though. 

Fucking Cash Converters. 
3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    Wish we still had one! I have bought a couple of bits there in the past. I got a Tascam 122, gave it to grandson. Then I got a 144 but it was faulty. No problem, they would have refunded but I spotted a F'rite 8i6 for a ton so got that. Works fine.

About 6 months before they closed there was a Native Instruments KA6 in the window for £100. I already had one (sooooper AI!) and was not flust at the time but I WISH I had bought it!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Ah, ‘Crack-Converters’ - home of the scratched out serial number.  The last one I visited was trying to offload a Chibson for £650. 
    They didn’t appreciate my detailed feedback. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    ecc83 said:
    About 6 months before they closed there was a Native Instruments KA6 in the window for £100. I already had one (sooooper AI!) and was not flust at the time but I WISH I had bought it!

Dave.
    Pretty sure I noticed one in the classifieds at £60-odd, should you fancy a punt. They're great - I've got one too.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    shady said:
    Went in for a quick mooch, came out with a Line 6 extension cab. Don't need it particularly, just might be interesting running my closed back alongside this shabby looking open back job.
    If that has the Line 6 Custom G12P-80 speaker, it's quite good. That's the same type number as the Seventy/80, but it doesn't sound like one... I have it on good authority from @impmann that it was revoiced for Line 6 to sound closer to 'full range' while still being basically a guitar speaker - and it certainly sounds like it. I put one in my Peavey Studio Pro 112 simply because the original was blown, it was the right spec and I'd acquired it for free in a dead Line 6 amp. It's really big-sounding - tons of bottom end and a much clearer sound than I would expect from a Seventy/80.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    ICBM said:
    shady said:
    If that has the Line 6 Custom G12P-80 speaker, it's quite good. That's the same type number as the Seventy/80, but it doesn't sound like one... I have it on good authority from @impmann that it was revoiced for Line 6 to sound closer to 'full range' while still being basically a guitar speaker - and it certainly sounds like it. I put one in my Peavey Studio Pro 112 simply because the original was blown, it was the right spec and I'd acquired it for free in a dead Line 6 amp. It's really big-sounding - tons of bottom end and a much clearer sound than I would expect from a Seventy/80.
    'Zactly that.

:-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:
    shady said:
    'Zactly that.

:-)
    It does have the Celestion in it, but it's 8 ohm and to link it to my existing cab it needs to be 16 ohm. I have the original Hayden speaker I swapped out for a G12-35xc so that may go in, but I'm yet to plug in and test.

I'll report me findings. 
    Yeah, it's OK. In the same kind of way my old Valvestate was OK. It does sound big, but sort of flabby and a bit boxy, but also louder. In direct comparison my other cab sounds sooo much sweeter in every respect, (and a lot more directional!) but I'm not complaining.

I'll do the speaker swap and see what happens, not that much I expect but at least I can then safely run them together. The cab is large for a 1x12, might do a 2x10 project...dunno.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Is it the old Flextone open-backed cab with silver cloth? I've got one of those and it does a solid job with my Peavey Classic 30 head.
    That's the fella, I quite like the grill cloth. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Nice. I gigged extensively with mine, having put a G12-75 in it.
    Update. 

Hayden speaker in, Celestion G12P out.
    Hayden magnet larger and quite a bit heavier in comparison to the slimline G12P.

Surprisingly very different. Girthier, smoother. Not as dark as I remember it sounding in the closed back cab it came out of, maybe it just suits an open back. 

Part one success. 

Running both cabs together at moderately loud home volume, about 6 foot apart and angled towards me.

Heh...sounds hilariously massive, I was concerned about a volume mismatch, but no such issue. There's one setting on m'Space Echo you'd swear it was a stereo set up. Totally didn't expect this much win for the money. 

Gert lush. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There’s a Mesa Road King with massive footswitch in the Streatham Cash Converters for £999. Looks like it’s in good nick. Can’t tell if it’s a Series I or II, though.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I had a bad experience a few years back with Crack Converters where I bought a stolen amp. Nightmare. Buyer beware.