Eddie Murphy

What's Hot

Comments

• Yes, beverly hills cop was ace, but the guy has been in some seriously shite films since.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Frankie Boyle, Steve Hughes and Angela Barnes are probably my favourites of the current crop.
    I always found Eddie Murphy funny but also very irritating.
    Jeremy Hardy was brilliant in his own left-wing way. Easily my favourite Brit comedian.
    Mark Steel's not bad either. I love his Mark Steel's In Town radio show where he visits towns and rips the piss out of them.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    edited July 2019
    The cut off period for Eddie Murphy’s talent was about 1987. Not much noteworthy since, other than a few ‘cash in’ movies. 

There are/were so many other fantastic comedians around at that time, George Carin George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, even Steve Martin. I’d put Harry Hill over Eddie Murphy, I saw him live several times in the late 80’s early 90’s, he was astonishing. Not the TV clown we have today. There used to be a great comic around London in the 90’s Ian Cognito. He was fantastic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Eddies late brother Charlie has some great vids on YouTube telling stories.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Eddies late brother Charlie has some great vids on YouTube telling stories.
    Yep, the Dave Chapelle ones are brilliant. Rick James and Prince. Hilarious shit.

Bye!

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Steve Hughes and Reginald D Hunter are the best of the ‘current’ crop. 

I was fortunate enough to see Steve Hughes about six or seven years ago before his car accident and subsequent depression issues.  He is performing again, but I’m not sure he’ll ever come to the UK again. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    TheMarlin said:
    The cut off period for Eddie Murphy’s talent was about 1987. Not much noteworthy since, other than a few ‘cash in’ movies. 

There are/were so many other fantastic comedians around at that time, George Carin George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, even Steve Martin. I’d put Harry Hill over Eddie Murphy, I saw him live several times in the late 80’s early 90’s, he was astonishing. Not the TV clown we have today. There used to be a great comic around London in the 90’s Ian Cognito. He was fantastic!
    I was going to mention Steve Martin, he is same as Murphy for me, either their sense of humour's collectively died on the same day or they had the same secret writer who vanished.
    RobDavies said:
    Steve Hughes and Reginald D Hunter are the best of the ‘current’ crop. 

I was fortunate enough to see Steve Hughes about six or seven years ago before his car accident and subsequent depression issues.  He is performing again, but I’m not sure he’ll ever come to the UK again. 
    I thought he lived in England. Manchester to be precise, that's almost In England.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    TheMarlin said:
    There used to be a great comic around London in the 90’s Ian Cognito. He was fantastic!
    The man who, sadly, died on stage earlier this year.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Eddies late brother Charlie has some great vids on YouTube telling stories.
    Yep, the Dave Chapelle ones are brilliant. Rick James and Prince. Hilarious shit.
    Charlie Murphyyyyyyyy!!!! 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Philly_Q said:
    TheMarlin said:
    There used to be a great comic around London in the 90’s Ian Cognito. He was fantastic!
    The man who, sadly, died on stage earlier this year.

How do they know it was really him?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

This is quality!

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Always thought Bill Hicks was massively overrated but I seem to be in the minority.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    He may be a bit too surreal for some tastes, but I think Steven Wright is a genius.

A while back I used to go to the Kings Head in Crouch End every Sunday night to see the stand-ups. John Sparkes was brilliant, and Bill Bailey in his Rubber Bishops days was tremendous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    He may be a bit too surreal for some tastes, but I think Steven Wright is a genius.

A while back I used to go to the Kings Head in Crouch End every Sunday night to see the stand-ups. John Sparkes was brilliant, and Bill Bailey in his Rubber Bishops days was tremendous.
    Same here, I've always found Steven Wright very funny.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    A friend of mine had Delirious on video when it came out - that thing may as well have been a gold brick at our school. I seem to remember that British stand-up *seemed* to consist of people like Ben Elton and Lenny Henry. Watching Delirious was like a revelation of how good it could be. Raw, on the other hand, I thought was awful. I struggled to see how the same guy could be responsible for both.

Currently, there doesn't seem to be too much about. Dave Chappelle not what he once was (which was epic). Louis CK pushed into the shadows because of his 'deeds'. Bill Burr is probably at his peak and thriving in today's political climate. I would recommend Norm MacDonald who used to have a YT channel where he interviewed other comedians but it was taken down when he moved to Netflix (and they ruined the show).

British stand-up seems like it's in the toilet - the best show I've seen in the past couple of years was Sara Pascoe's Lads,Lads, Lads. It's good but not ground-breaking; I think that's the best we can hope for at the moment. How people like Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard get work is beyond me.

Ireland fare better - they've got Tommy Tiernan.
  • fob said:
    How people like Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard get work is beyond me.
    So much wisdom for this. They get work because they are completely fine with dumbing down the population and anesthetizing them.

Bye!

Andrew Maxwell's worth a listen.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I agree that Eddie Murphy was very funny but has undone all of the good work with some of his films.
    Steve Martin was hilarious.  He did not suddenly become unfunny, apparently he just stopped doing comedy and did not tell anyone.
    We are in a bit of a golden age for comedy with Netflix providing access to so many comedy specials. Comedians in Cars is worth checking out just for the variety.   I really enjoyed James Acaster's tetralogy.  Aziz Ansari's recent special is worth a look.
    I watched Ricky Gervais's special to see if it was worth the reputed £15m he was paid.

Still love Stewart Lee and thought Content Provider was one of the best comedy performances I had seen in a long time.