Where are all the JMs and Jags?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I’ve been trawling all the usual places but can’t seem to find older (I mean 90s/00s) USA or Mexican Jazzmasters or Jags. Did they even make them then?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    No, only Japanese ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    ICBM said:
    No, only Japanese ones.
    That’ll be why then. Do you know when they began production again? 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

Sign of how good they are...people keep them...…….but obviously not sold in anywhere near the volume as teles/strats

Didn't they stop making Jag in USA mid 70s and only start again 1999/2000 ? Think they shifted to Japan in the interim period

I have the 2012 50th anniversary in burgundy mist. It is so different to strat/tele to hold/play but does have a unique sound of it's own

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    "Trainspotter" Fender book says, Jazzmaster 1958 - 1980, Jaguar 1962 - 1975. (Original US production.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    bazxkr said:

Sign of how good they are...people keep them...…….but obviously not sold in anywhere near the volume as teles/strats

Didn't they stop making Jag in USA mid 70s and only start again 1999/2000 ? Think they shifted to Japan in the interim period

I have the 2012 50th anniversary in burgundy mist. It is so different to strat/tele to hold/play but does have a unique sound of it's own

They started making AVRI models in 1999. I think they were previously last made in the USA in 1980 (jazzmasters) and a bit earlier (1975?) for jags. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    Yep, exactly this. Jags stopped US production in 1975, Jazzmasters in 1980. American reissues started in 1999. To the best of my knowledge, MIJ Fender Jags and JMs started production in 1984.

*pauses to glance smugly at 2002 AVRI Jazzmaster and recent Johnny Marr Jag*
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    AVRI 62 Jag (I think it was a 2001) is probably the highest quality modern guitar I've owned.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    benecol said:
    Yep, exactly this. Jags stopped US production in 1975, Jazzmasters in 1980. American reissues started in 1999. To the best of my knowledge, MIJ Fender Jags and JMs started production in 1984.

*pauses to glance smugly at 2002 AVRI Jazzmaster and recent Johnny Marr Jag*

I believe that's correct....

*Glances smugly at 1964 pre CBS Jaguar*

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    rico said:
    I’ve been trawling all the usual places but can’t seem to find older (I mean 90s/00s) USA or Mexican Jazzmasters or Jags.
    Errrr...at my place?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited July 2019
    rico said:
    I’ve been trawling all the usual places but can’t seem to find older (I mean 90s/00s) USA or Mexican Jazzmasters or Jags.
    ... at my place?
    Half true, Lord Seven.

You have a surfeit of Jaguars but almost no Jazzmasters. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.