Thorpy Fat General vs Diamond Compressor

What's Hot
JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
My birthday is coming up and my wife is asking me what I would like for a present. I really can't think of anything other than i've fancied a Thorpy Fat General for a while. However i've been using a Diamond Compressor for a few years and think it's great and i'm wondering if there's any point swapping for a Fat General. Will it give me anything the Diamond can't? Will it make a difference for the better to my sound? FYI I use a compressor as an always on pedal to smooth out the sound, to give a little boost and compression to dirt pedals to add a bit more thickness and saturation. Any help is appreciated.
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    There's really only one way to find out. We will all have our individual opinions about our favourite pedals, but there is absolutely no substitute for trying things with YOUR rig and YOUR ears. Good luck.

The Fat General is fantastic though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Get it! Then decide the Diamond suits you better, then sell it to me. Simple. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    Unfortunately it being a birthday present from my wife puts me in a difficult position if I want to sell it.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    I've got a Diamond and use it in a similar way. I imagine the Fat General would give you a bigger range of options, more squish if you want it, and a blend control to play with.

For just adding a bit of light compression and boost I'd personally just stick with the Diamond. If on the other hand you want a new toy and some different sounds to try out then go for it.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I’ve never owned a FG but I believe if you don’t like forever tweaking knobs I’d say that the FG is perfect for you. I use the Cali 76 and love it but generally set and leave it 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    I never turn the Fat General off I have it on blend mode for all my sounds at the front of the chain. Especially nice into a king of tone. 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    What about a different Thorpyfx pedal? Team Medic, perhaps? Then you’re not in a bind if you prefer your old Diamond. 
    fandango said:
    What about a different Thorpyfx pedal? Team Medic, perhaps? Then you’re not in a bind if you prefer your old Diamond. 
    I'm happy with my current array of dirt and boost pedals, trying new ones may start another never ending quest for perfection!
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653

I've had the Diamond in the past and used it for a long time, in the same way that you describe. I wanted it subtle, and it delivered. That was until I found a compressor with a blend knob!

I think it was the Wampler Ego I got, and compared it to he Diamond it I much preferred it, so sold the Diamond.

I've since used the Xotic compressor, and then eventually came to the conclusion that I didn't need one at all. Got on fine this way for a couple of years, until the FG was released. I've tried almost all of Thorpy's pedals, so needed to give this a bash.

It's never left my board since, and is always on. Set for subtle blend, with added sustain. Previously I only used my compressor with my Telecaster and turned it off while using my Les Paul with higher gain sounds, but not with the FG. The treble control adds some extra sparkle and it just sounds great with any guitar/gain settings.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @smudge_lad I think you may have persuaded me to put it on my birthday list!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Have you thought about an Empress?
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
    @smudge_lad I think you may have persuaded me to put it on my birthday list!

I honestly don't think you'd be disappointed. The FG can do what the Diamond can do, and more
    merlin said:
    Have you thought about an Empress?
    I'm interested in a Fat General because at the moment the V1s are reduced.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Played a dep gig last night and due to the need for a reverb pedal in a couple of tunes I had to temporarily remove my “always on” FG from my Pedaltrain Nano to make room for it. My rig sounded noticeably worse...

’nuff said!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Played a dep gig last night and due to the need for a reverb pedal in a couple of tunes I had to temporarily remove my “always on” FG from my Pedaltrain Nano to make room for it. My rig sounded noticeably worse...

’nuff said!
    Maybe get a better reverb pedal if it was that bad.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    I've had both (and most of the other obvious contenders) and the Fat General is, for me, by far the better of the two. The only thing I've found that competes is the Pete Cornish OC1. It's THAT good.
  • GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
    I was recently looking for a premium compressor. Tried the Thorpy and the Origin Effects.

....Origin Effects Cali 76 all the way.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom