New Fender Solid State Tone Master Twin & Deluxe Reverb

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2350
edited July 2019 in Amps
These look quite interesting.  Lots of modern features (built in IRs, lightweight Neo speakers, DI out, power scaling etc) but, in usual Fender drop the ball fashion, miss out the one thing a lot of people actually want and need - an effect loop.

Not sure what the standby switch is for on a non-valve amp either.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-tone-master-twin-reverb-2x12-guitar-amp-combo

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-tone-master-deluxe-reverb-1x12-guitar-amp-combo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Those feel really expensive for such one-trick ponies. which is funny, because if they made a proper Deluxe Reverb with variable power output I’d buy one tomorrow.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    These also sound quite shit for nearly £1k...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NJacQ2CfHwY
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9697
    Looks like they just put one of the Mustang models with a bigger power amp and better cab/speakers and charged £800/900 for it? Blimey
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    I presume they are trying to make this look as close to a Deluxe Reverb as possible, probably why the standby switch is there.

Seems like Fender trying to do what Boss/Roland so. 

Seems to be very expensive for what it is. I paid less than that for a brand new sealed box 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb although this was about 4 years ago and prices have risen very quickly. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Sound-wise, it seems to me that you'd be better off buying a Helix Stomp and a Mustang, and combine them using the effects return. It'd be cheaper, too.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    I presume they are trying to make this look as close to a Deluxe Reverb as possible, probably why the standby switch is there.

Possibly StandBy is so that digital stuff is loaded, like waking from sleep on a PC as opposed to turning on from cold?

It wasn't difficult to pick the valve from digital in the demo video but they sounded okay(ish).
  • I've seen a few videos of them. They sound awful to my ears.

But the biggest shock to me is that they want so much for them.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Lee's sound in the intro to the video I saw was horrid - whichever one that was I'd not go near 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Do you want a terrible thin sounding solid state amplifier but are tired of paying low solid state prices? 

Then look no further! 

Fender have managed to innovate like only they can to bring a Solid State Deluxe Reverb that sounds absolutely nothing like the valve Deluxe Reverb but costs just as much. 

Fender will destroy the market with these! 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    These will all have a 'Do Not Repair' agreement so if it fails outside of warranty you won't be able to get replacement parts - see also Boss Katana.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    These will all have a 'Do Not Repair' agreement so if it fails outside of warranty you won't be able to get replacement parts - see also Boss Katana.
    Do you mean "can not be repaired"?

I wonder why the price is so high in these, do they have to license the IR tech?

Makes me wonder who is in charge of product development in these places
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    These also sound quite shit for nearly £1k...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NJacQ2CfHwY
    The captain's opening notes sounded like elastic bands being plucked. Perhaps bad micing?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    edited July 2019
    RiftAmps said:
    Isn't about time you brought out a Modeling amp Mr Fantana,  !!! :) Sorry did you say you only make real amps
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    StefB said:
    These look quite interesting.  Lots of modern features (built in IRs, lightweight Neo speakers, DI out, power scaling etc) but, in usual Fender drop the ball fashion, miss out the one thing a lot of people actually want and need - an effect loop.

Not sure what the standby switch is for on a non-valve amp either.
    An FX loop is virtually pointless on a clean amp, unless you have line-level-only effects and the loop can be set to that.

A standby switch is useful for muting without turning fully off - especially if it only mutes the power section, so you can use it through the IRs for recording.

I’m glad that Fender seem to making an attempt to make a *serious* pro-quality solid-state amp. I’ll reserve judgement on the sound until I hear one in person...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

I wonder why the price is so high in these, do they have to license the IR tech?

Cannot/Will Not/Do Not Repair - it's all the same. I first came across this on the Fender Frontman 212R.

Faults within the warranty period will be dealt with by the way of a replacement unit. Once the warranty expires you'll be stuffed.

Isn't about time you brought out a Modeling amp Mr Fantana,  !!! :) Sorry did you say you only make real amps
    Not quite sure what you're getting at @guitartango ?  Modelling isn't something I'm interested in, so Rift won't be going down that route.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:

Cannot/Will Not/Do Not Repair - it's all the same. I first came across this on the Fender Frontman 212R.

Faults within the warranty period will be dealt with by the way of a replacement unit. Once the warranty expires you'll be stuffed.

Not quite sure what you're getting at @guitartango ?  Modelling isn't something I'm interested in, so Rift won't be going down that route.
    That was a joke Chris.... cant see you producing one 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    RiftAmps said:

And yet ironically, the Frontman is actually pretty easy to repair - even if the fault isn’t the common blown speakers - they’re basic old-school analogue tech.

Whether or not these new ones will be depends on what part dies and what technology it uses.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Aren't these digital rather than SS? I'd rather Fender built a straight forward, powerful, decent sounding SS only line, eg a Silverface Bassman type head (which also looked like one).
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 623
    I want to like these… The prices are off-putting, but I suppose that's partly because all the SS Fenders I've played have been built down to a price rather than up to a standard. Hoping for a pleasant surprise when they make their way into shops.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    Thing is at the price point you can buy a decent second hand valve amp, so the only upside is the IR tech

At least is you got one and it failed you could have a real amp built into the chassis and it would still look legit
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom