Yamaha thr10 / 5

What's Hot
ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
Now that i don't play in a band anymore and have sold my combo i just want a small amp for home use. I know that the Yamaha THR's have been discussed on here before and that they're well rated but is there much difference in the sound quality between the 5 and 10. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    No difference in sound quality that I noticed between my student's 5 and my 10. Lack of 3-band EQ on the 5 was a hassle but I think you still get it through the THR editor software, although with no way to store your settings I would still find that a faff.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Try before you buy.  Hugely over-rated imho.  I'd go for Vox, who I think do 'home' amps brilliantly.  DA5, Mini 5, VT20+ etc. The only thing they don't do well is 'metal' in which case I'd be looking at some of the Blackstar offerings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    uncledick said:
    Try before you buy.  Hugely over-rated imho.  I'd go for Vox, who I think do 'home' amps brilliantly.  DA5, Mini 5, VT20+ etc. The only thing they don't do well is 'metal' in which case I'd be looking at some of the Blackstar offerings.
    Totally agree completely overrated. I bought the Vox alternative. Bought the THR10 and returned it to the guitar shop the next day for a refund. Really wasn’t impressed. Don’t go off YouTube videos, these are always miked up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Thanks all. Yes think i'll try before i buy.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    I think the THR5 is a great home amp
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    My thr10 has had almost daily use for several years.   Great bit of kit for home use - possibly newer designs have raised the bar but I like them and I gig with some nice amps. 
    A mate has the 5 and it’s good but personally I’d miss the option to save presets.   It’s quick to dial in a sound but handy to switch between stored options.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I had a THR10 for a while, didn't like it at all. Sounded fab on a YouTube demo, sounded pants in real life.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Buy a Katana 50.. Job done 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Anchorboy said:
    I've A/Bd them at home as have both, katana has different level of usefullness going to jams etc, for home only the THR5 is equal to it and takes up much less room.  Missus munckee even allows the THR on display in the lounge as it looks like a 'funny old radio'.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    edited July 2019
    munckee said:
    Anchorboy said:
    I've A/Bd them at home as have both, katana has different level of usefullness going to jams etc, for home only the THR5 is equal to it and takes up much less room.  Missus munckee even allows the THR on display in the lounge as it looks like a 'funny old radio'.

Agreed, different things for different jobs, comparing them doesn't make sense.  The THR is small with living room friendly styling, for those who don't want (or aren't allowed!) to have 'backline' in the family lounge.  I think where some of the sound criticism comes from, and is valid, is that they do need to be pointed at your ears.  If they're firing at your ankles they don't sound great, but lift them up or tilt them back and it makes a big positive difference.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I also have both a THR10 and a Katana 100. For really quiet home practice, I think the THR sounds better, even with the Katana set on the 0.5 watt setting. I can't stand playing with headphones and the THR10 means I don't have to. Having said that, I don't think the THR takes pedals very well so i usually just plug straight in.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Anchorboy said:
    I did consider one of these but on a recent thread about them a lot of people didn't rate them. Such conflicting views about both the Yamaha and the Boss.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Had the thr-5, now have the box handbag. Much better option all round imho.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Fifty9 said:
    This.
    Vox Handbag just sounds better/is way more versatile, in my opinion. Sold my THRs (had all flavours of them) to keep the Vox. 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    ronnyb said:
    Anchorboy said:
    I did consider one of these but on a recent thread about them a lot of people didn't rate them. Such conflicting views about both the Yamaha and the Boss.
    I agreed with @icbm on this.  A reasonably flexible lightweight amp that can be used at home or gigging but soundwise I just couldn't dial in anything I liked.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    I’ve had the The10 in all 3 variants. The Blackstar HT1r combo sounds better and isn’t much more imposing either.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I’ve had the The10 in all 3 variants. The Blackstar HT1r combo sounds better and isn’t much more imposing either.
    I also have the Blackstar (head and cab anyway) and it's a bigger and more amplike sound but I prefer the greater flexibility of the Vox which I use daily. My HT1 gets used far less often - admittedly it is in a different room now, but wifey tolerates the vox in the lounge (even when she's watching TV) whereas the HT1 never passed that particular test.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Fifty9 said:
    This.
    Vox Handbag just sounds better/is way more versatile, in my opinion. Sold my THRs (had all flavours of them) to keep the Vox. 
    Great little amp the vox. Love mine.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    i had a THR10c (The classic black one) - great for home so not disagreeing here. Currently have a Katana 50 which is handy for use in the house and doubles up as a backup for playing out in small venues
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • I oiwned the THR 10C for a while and, although it sounded pretty good ( I used the PC editor to get a little more gain ) found that the lack of a footswitch option let it down badly.
    I moved on to a Blackstar ID5TVP plus the matching 4 button footswitch and fell in love with its power tube modelling.
    I still have my THR5A for my acoustic guitar and Ibanez jazz box. It also works really well when I plug my Headrush Gigboard into its AUX socket. (The Gigboard and THR5A  can both fit in to a rucksack and be taken to a friends house for jamming without a drummer).