Lots of new Squiers...even Starcasters!

What's Hot

Comments

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    edited July 2019
    I like the Affinity Starcaster in Candy Red!
    Yeah, I too think that looks great: )

Do you reckon with it being an Affinity it would only have a 40mm nut?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Wow they're going all-in with the Starcasters then. Were the last batch under the Fender name a success?
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 775
    timhulio said:
    Wow they're going all-in with the Starcasters then. Were the last batch under the Fender name a success?
    It was something the offset community had been requesting for a while. So I guess it will have been a partial success, not enough to keep them going in Fender guise at least.

Fender and Squier are probably about 15-20 years too late. Had they released them whilst Radiohead were at their pomp they would have sold them by bucketload.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    impmann said:
    The contemporary ones look... fat. Like they inhaled a whole tray of Greggs pasties. Daily. Not a good look.

However, the Affinity Starcasters look ace - in fact more interesting than the expensive ones.
    This. The Contemporary ones with no f-holes are really ugly, the Affinity and Classic Vibe ones are really nice.

timhulio said:
    No, but that was before The Killers and Radiohead :).

I'd really like a Bass V too, but that may be a step too far for them - although it would certainly be more interesting. (Strung BEADG, which would make it more useful to modern players.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    That black and gold Jazzmaster looks amazing.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I really want to like Starcasters, but the headstock is one of the ugliest things ever to have existed in the guitar world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jeremiah said:
    I really want to like Starcasters, but the headstock is one of the ugliest things ever to have existed in the guitar world.
    The infamous 'carpet slipper'. I think it looks marginally less bad without the painted black 'sole', but it's hard to tell...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    No Electric XII? I’d be all over one of those....
    There's this -
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-alternate-reality-electric-xii-12-string-electric-guitar
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26943
    The trouble with the Starcaster is it should have a hard tail bridge. These Classic Vibe once’s are basically the same as the Fender Modern Player(?) series at the same price, but with Squier written on them, so I’m not sure I see the point. 

The shiny red does Affinity look ok and great for the price. I assume you could very easily drill for the extra controls. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 775
    The trouble with the Starcaster is it should have a hard tail bridge. These Classic Vibe once’s are basically the same as the Fender Modern Player(?) series at the same price, but with Squier written on them, so I’m not sure I see the point. 

The shiny red does Affinity look ok and great for the price. I assume you could very easily drill for the extra controls. 
    I think the modern player versions were 500 or 600 quid. The only reason I didn't bite at the time.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    JezWynd said:
    No Electric XII? I’d be all over one of those....
    There's this -
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-alternate-reality-electric-xii-12-string-electric-guitar
    I just don’t want to spend that much money on something I’d only use to add a bit of flavour to recordings. I could do with someone on here buying one and then needing to get rid very quickly :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited July 2019
    this is how the upsell works, they hooked me with a sonic grey bullet Strat, and now I'm looking at US sonic grey jaguars.

This is a sickness
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Just spotted that there's some Sonic Grey choices.

If you want that beautiful colour you can either get the pretty expensive American Professional or the bottom of the line Squier that literally costs a tenth of the price lol
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I can't get excited about Squiers.

I have a couple of them and they are (very) good for the money, but they are just not aspirational instruments.

When you're looking at several hundreds you're shifting into proper Fender territory.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Sonic Grey, otherwise known as primer.

Each to their own, but it seems so dull!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4132
    thegummy said:
    Just spotted that there's some Sonic Grey choices.

If you want that beautiful colour you can either get the pretty expensive American Professional or the bottom of the line Squier that literally costs a tenth of the price lol
    There’s a sonic grey bullet Mustang coming out too  <3
    SNAKEBITE said:

Hey geys, we have a great idea for a new color. We're sure you'll all love it - it's totally retro!

Sonic Beige

Who wouldn't want a guitar the colour of a 1990s computer?

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    ICBM said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

Hey geys, we have a great idea for a new color. We're sure you'll all love it - it's totally retro!

Sonic Beige

Who wouldn't want a guitar the colour of a 1990s computer?
    A nictotine stained 1990s computer... yuk.

Genuinely, I don't get the attraction of grey. It reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHvUarwTlck
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:

A nictotine stained 1990s computer... yuk.
    That's the Custom Shop Heavy Relic version.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Beige: all the style of brown, with all the excitement of grey!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom