4CM - cable tidying solutions

What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
Hi 4-cable-methodists!

Do you use anything to keep cables together to create a sort of multicore arrangement?

I've been looking at various neoprene sleeves on Amazon, but not sure if they coil up nicely to go in a gig bag or flight case?

Something like this:

Meersee 3M Cable Management Sleeve Neoprene Flexible Cable Cover Sleeve Reusable Cable Tidy Cord Cover Wire Organizer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073RHL84X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZojmDbMST5RJF

Anyone have any experience? Or alternative ideas? I want to avoid spiky cable ties every 6"!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited July 2019
    Expandable braided sleaving with rubber hellman sleeves or shrink wrap to keep in place?

https://i.imgur.com/33U6app.jpg
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I use velcro ties. You can get 100 from Ebay for about a tenner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Yes, I like Velcro ties and I use them for general cable coiling duties.

I quite liked the idea of everything enclosed in the neoprene, though.

Maybe I should be the guinea pig and let you guys know!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I use spiral wraps on my 4 cables, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tidy-Kit-Meters-Wrapping/dp/B079Y6H95B/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=Cable+tidy&qid=1563468883&s=gateway&sr=8-20

Really fiddly to get on, but works well once on and cables will still curl up nicely for packing.
    Ok, that's another option. A bit 'office-y' but I could get on board with that!

Do they crack if you stand on them?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Braided sleeving is the way to go here - it's tough, and flexible.
  • Mike77Mike77 Frets: 14
    I went with a loom from @CustomPedalBoards a while back. More of an outlay initially but its great quality and it's kind of only one cable to pack/unpack.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    DannyP said:
    Ok, that's another option. A bit 'office-y' but I could get on board with that!

Do they crack if you stand on them?
    No they’re very flexible, as they need to be in order to wrap them around the cables.

Question about the braided sleeving, how do you get 4 x 3m of thick rubber cables with jacks on them through the sleeving?
    Maynehead said:
    Question about the braided sleeving, how do you get 4 x 3m of thick rubber cables with jacks on them through the sleeving?
    Typically, you put the plugs on *after* pushing the cable through the sleeving. :)

R.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited July 2019
    Maynehead said:
    Typically, you put the plugs on *after* pushing the cable through the sleeving.

R.
    Braided sleaving is very "expandable" - typically it expands to 2.5x its smallest diameter. Once the cables are threaded through, you pull it tight then apply the heat shrink to keep in place and then solder on the Jack's. See the picture above of one that I assembled.
  • I've literally just slung one of those neoprene sleeves as I couldn't find a use for it! 'sake!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Voice of experience...dont use gaffa tape.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Sommer Quantum 4 way multi core would be the neatest solution. 
    RobDavies said:
    I was hoping to get my amp footswitch cable involved which is a 1/4" TRS, so I don't think anything off-the-peg is going to help.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    I use the expandable braided sleeving- it comfortably fits four 1/4" cables (3 signal, 1 amp channel switching). It coils fine, but is obviously bulkier than a single cable. I opted for the sleeving over multi core cable partly because I'm tight, but also because I figure the cables are going to fail one at a time, so a method that lets me replace them one at a time is better in the long run.

Worth mentioning- as it expands the sleeving gets shorter, so depending on how many cables you want to bundle and how much cable you want exposed at each end, order accordingly. I bought 6m of sleeving for 6m cables and ended up with probably 30-50cm of cable exposed at either end.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    DannyP said:
    RobDavies said:
    I was hoping to get my amp footswitch cable involved which is a 1/4" TRS, so I don't think anything off-the-peg is going to help.
    Most multicore cable is 3 conductor ..... as generally it carries balanced signals so Sommer multicore or Van Damme Blue series is ideal
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    When I used a 4 cable loom, I bought cables of different colours, so I knew where to plug them in, and held them together with short lengths of heatshrink that I spaced out along the length. 

Do not use any sort of tape with a sticky side, it's a nightmare!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I used to use a Pedalsnake when I had an enormous rig. It worked well and consolidated seven cables into one. The plugs all ended up being rather bulky though but it was an otherwise tidy solution.

pedalsnake.com
    DannyP said:
    Hi 4-cable-methodists!

Do you use anything to keep cables together to create a sort of multicore arrangement?

I've been looking at various neoprene sleeves on Amazon, but not sure if they coil up nicely to go in a gig bag or flight case?

Something like this:

Meersee 3M Cable Management Sleeve Neoprene Flexible Cable Cover Sleeve Reusable Cable Tidy Cord Cover Wire Organizer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073RHL84X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZojmDbMST5RJF

Anyone have any experience? Or alternative ideas? I want to avoid spiky cable ties every 6"!

If someone on here who makes great quality, well-priced cables were to start offering custom looms, would you be interested?

Asking for a friend... :)

R.
    exocet said:
    Maynehead said:
    Typically, you put the plugs on *after* pushing the cable through the sleeving.

R.
    Braided sleaving is very "expandable" - typically it expands to 2.5x its smallest diameter. Once the cables are threaded through, you pull it tight then apply the heat shrink to keep in place and then solder on the Jack's. See the picture above of one that I assembled.

Out of interest, which size braid did you use for three cables?

R.