Buying a concrete house - pros and cons????

What's Hot
What's the deal with concrete houses? Went to see one yesterday which we were initially thinking of putting an offer on because we liked the location, the size, and there is extension possibilities. The price wasn't too bad either.

I met an estate agent a week or two ago who remarkably is actually sound. Came round and valued our flat and gave us lots of good mortgage advice and put us in touch with a broker and all that jazz. Seems to know his shit.

He's saying that he'd advise against buying a concrete house because of resale in the future. The estate agent (a different one) who has the house on the market says that:

As mentioned, all modern builds eg, in Colindale, are all concrete shells with partition inserts, hence why they build them so quickly! The ones with the brick work are actually externally built over the concrete frame or structure. This is a modern way of building.

I can put you in contact with a couple of mortgage brokers who can confirm to you that the concrete construction has no draw backs, if it was a steel or timberframe then of course we would advise you otherwise, none the less, I know that it can be concerning if you do not know much about it. I have copied in the below link for you which may help https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/non-standard-construction-insurance/concrete-home-advice

So not really sure what to think - anyone got any knowledge in this area?

Our price range is up to £500K if we sell our flat for £380K-400K, which is totally doable based on the area and the market rates, and we've had this confirmed by several agents now.

We're looking for a 3 bed house where I can build a studio in the garden. So ideally looking to pay around £450K and spend the rest on improvements and development.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Assume you're not planning of being there forever - if you can get a mortgage for it then the mortgage company sees no issue in re-selling it if you default - I'd say do it.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited July 2019
    We live in a concrete house (13 years) in Camden. Seems the same as any other to me. It's a terrace so stays warm all year round. Don't know if the concrete has an effect on that. 

A few points:

- putting in new electrical wiring is a biggie as channels need drilling in the concrete (but we've had it done)
    - our house has a flat roof. Good insulation helps keep it cool in summer. Insurance is a little more difficult for flat roof houses - some companies won't insure them but it's not "that" difficult to find someone who will.
    - moving walls etc is obviously a bit more involved with concrete 

Overall, I don't think it's a big deal at all. I never think about it.

Feel free to pm. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    Slightly more nuclear explosion-resistant than other types of house. Although best if also underground.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2427
    Concrete gets a bad reputation because it was associated with some poorly built blocks of flats 50 years ago, there's nothing inherently wrong with it as a building material, I'd probably prefer it to timber frame as far as long term durability goes.

I would however pay for a full survey to check for concrete cancer (yes, it's a thing, it's when the reinforcement steel bars rust and expand within the concrete)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Also, things like ceiling lights - you can’t just run a cable through the floorboards overhead as you would in a brick house or locate flush spotlights (we actually have suspended ceilings below the concrete ceiling covering cables and housing halogen spotlights and sprinkler pipes). So that’s a bit of a restriction. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    I lived in a concrete house in the early 80s. I thought it was okay but I was in a minority

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southgate_Estate

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    still a lot of love for  a prefab...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    What's the deal with concrete houses? Went to see one yesterday which we were initially thinking of putting an offer on because we liked the location, the size, and there is extension possibilities. The price wasn't too bad either.

Yup, I can help.

He's saying that he'd advise against buying a concrete house because of resale in the future. The estate agent (a different one) who has the house on the market says that:

As mentioned, all modern builds eg, in Colindale, are all concrete shells with partition inserts, hence why they build them so quickly! The ones with the brick work are actually externally built over the concrete frame or structure. This is a modern way of building.

I can put you in contact with a couple of mortgage brokers who can confirm to you that the concrete construction has no draw backs, if it was a steel or timberframe then of course we would advise you otherwise, none the less, I know that it can be concerning if you do not know much about it. I have copied in the below link for you which may help https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/non-standard-construction-insurance/concrete-home-advice

It is true that the UK has an irrational prejudice against anything that isn't brick or stone and that can affect resale.
    It is less of an issue than it used to be and less of an issue in London where there are more foreigners buying who probably won't be aware or care if they are aware.

Partition inserts are not an issue in my opinion and building a house quickly because it is poured concrete is an advantage, not a disadvantage. It doesn't mean it is inferior- it is just that pouring concrete takes less time than building with brick.
    Look at the price of an equivalent new 100% brick building- it will have taken 3-6 months longer to build and will be priced accordingly.

85% of Singapore is high-rise poured concrete- no-one gives a shit.

Timber frame isn't a problem either- half of America is timber frame but again the UK has a collective issue with anything not brick or stone.

We're looking for a 3 bed house where I can build a studio in the garden. So ideally looking to pay around £450K and spend the rest on improvements and development.

Two of our BTL's are concrete, no issue letting or insuring.
    No issue with mortgages or valuation- never tried to sell them but I don't think it would be an issue either.
    There might be other factors at play- a concrete building over a mineshaft might subside but that could happen with a brick building too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Major drawback being that if the earth was without oxygen for five seconds it would crumble to sand.. otherwise shouldn't be an issue..

I have a mate who lives in a concrete house, he loves it as (no idea if its true..) sound doesn't travel as well so he can play loud without disturbing neighbours..
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Post war PF (concrete) houses (WW2) up to late 1980s can have a lot of issues also PF flats from the same era.
      Concrete cancer/ coroded or missing (never installed) ties between sections- worst example please google 'Ronan Point'.
        More modern ones not so much.

I lived in a concrete flat in the 90s.
     It was warm but the walls transmitted sound to and from the neighbours VERY efficiently.
     Check that very carefully..........

Brick houses up to about 1976 tend to have much bigger gardens and rooms than later ones.

The market (for sellers) near your price range has been sluggish lately so some will be more amenable to offers.

Good luck geezer.
    When logic and proportion
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    half a mil is a lot of lolly for a 3 bed house well it is up Norf anyhoo, I know you love London and it’s all relative but I can’t help thinking you would get a lot more, Nice scenery detached and a fair plot of land if you moved out of the smoke. Not useful I know just thinking what I could get nearby for that much.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LuttiS said:
    Major drawback being that if the earth was without oxygen for five seconds it would crumble to sand.. otherwise shouldn't be an issue..

I have a mate who lives in a concrete house, he loves it as (no idea if its true..) sound doesn't travel as well so he can play loud without disturbing neighbours..

Our new build flat is not full concrete, but has concrete floors and stairs.

Silent. So fucking quiet. We do have a layer of sound insulation in our external walls, but even internally - we can use food processors and shag all we like, and the neighbours above us and next door have been putting holes in the walls and apologised for causing noise - that we didn't hear! 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    half a mil is a lot of lolly for a 3 bed house well it is up Norf anyhoo, I know you love London and it’s all relative but I can’t help thinking you would get a lot more, Nice scenery detached and a fair plot of land if you moved out of the smoke. Not useful I know just thinking what I could get nearby for that much.
    London prices are a joke but a lot of people are tied to the area because of work, so that keeps prices high. Catch 22. 

My stepson has actually just put his place on the market. 2 bed maisonette in a fairly crappy area of south London. It needs a fair bit of remedial work, has several damp patches, the layout is awful (for instance the stairs to the garden are in the bathroom). The best thing to do would be to gut it and start from scratch. Yours for a mere £425,000. Madness. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • half a mil is a lot of lolly for a 3 bed house well it is up Norf anyhoo, I know you love London and it’s all relative but I can’t help thinking you would get a lot more, Nice scenery detached and a fair plot of land if you moved out of the smoke. Not useful I know just thinking what I could get nearby for that much.
    No idea what I'd do up Norf apart from become an even bigger arsehole and alcoholic. Probably end up jobless too. And it would kill my band. Plus the wife has her sister here in London and the in-law's come over often enough and own a house around the corner too.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    LuttiS said:

Our new build flat is not full concrete, but has concrete floors and stairs.

Silent. So fucking quiet. We do have a layer of sound insulation in our external walls, but even internally - we can use food processors and shag all we like, and the neighbours above us and next door have been putting holes in the walls and apologised for causing noise - that we didn't hear! 
    that's some messed up sex right there.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18677
    ^ Yeah, we don't want you here, you lightweight shandy drinker, coming up here taking our arseholes places...
    Can't you just become a burden on your in-laws? 

Anyway, how are you doing generally?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Yeah, we don't want you here, you lightweight shandy drinker, coming up here taking our arseholes places...
    Can't you just become a burden on your in-laws? 

Anyway, how are you doing generally?
    Bout the same as when I made my vent thread. Counting the hours till I switch over to the 4 days a week thing. Got a lot of ideas for what I'll do with the 5th free day. Learning c++ being one of them.

Bye!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    WiresDreamDisasters said:

I'm amazed that no-one has yet asked.

Is it yellow, or green?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    WiresDreamDisasters said:

I'm amazed that no-one has yet asked.

Is it yellow, or green?
    It's not made of snow, so I'm not sure the relevance of the question ?

Bye!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    Colour is always the most important question.    Emp is my guide.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.