Coincidence?

What's Hot
prompted by other post about coincidences I thought I would tell you about this one. 
now being ex navy I have been in some places around the world and bumped into people from home town or know my parents etc usual thing for most people. 
But once whilst I was stationed at Yeovilton in somerset, I missed my lift home to Wales for the weekend. So raced out of gates and run to the Podymore roundabout on A37. not the fittest but a damn sight fitter than I am now, I got to A37 Bristol road and turned and stuck thumb out to hitch a lift. bearing in mind, I could have been faster and got another lift or a bit slower and missed first car. Literally he came off roundabout as I turned and put thumb out he pulled over. 
This is how conversation went!
Jumped in and he said 
where to? I said Bristol onto South Wales. Ok turns out he is going to South Wales. Result. 
Where in South Wales? Bargoed near Caerphilly area. Great he is going to Bargoed. Bigger Result, very lucky. 
Ok where in Bargoed? now I am getting a bit concerned, is he a weirdo? Usk Road I say. 
That's handy, just up from Bristol Terrace? Yes, getting spooked now, remember I was only about 18. 
which end? Mountain end, 
oh do you know such and such? I said yes, the youngest married my best mate? 
Well I am their uncle going up to stay with them

what are the chances?
Any others have strange coincidences?
1reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    1) Many years ago on my first business flight (to Egypt) I was listening to the in-flight entertainment as we flew over the snow covered alps. The track playing was "When you see a chance" by Steve Windwood. When I got home I bought the album.

Years later I had my first ski holiday in Meribel. On the last day my legs were knackered, so instead of skiing I wandered into the village to buy T shirts and souvenirs with some of my friends. As I walked down to the village with a group of friends I was overcome with the sound of the track "When you see a chance". I had been in the mountains for a week and had not thought of it, but as we walked down the hill it filled my head and I stopped and told my friends about when  had first heard the sing. They thought I was daft.

We arranged to meet in "Le Pub" at 11:00. I arrived a few minutes early, and what was playing but "When you see a chance". I immediately thought that they must be playing a tape that I'd heard earlier in the holiday and I'd heard it and made the connection, but at the end of the song (by which time my friends had arrived and had heard the song) it transpired that it was a radio show.

Spooky.

2) Last week my band was discussing new tracks to add to our setlist. I reviewed a number of tracks while travelling to a pre-season football match - the last track I considered was "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock. 

The first song played in the pre-game show was "All Summer Long".

Spooky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    prompted by other post about coincidences I thought I would tell you about this one. 
    now being ex navy I have been in some places around the world and bumped into people from home town or know my parents etc usual thing for most people. 
    But once whilst I was stationed at Yeovilton in somerset, I missed my lift home to Wales for the weekend. So raced out of gates and run to the Podymore roundabout on A37. not the fittest but a damn sight fitter than I am now, I got to A37 Bristol road and turned and stuck thumb out to hitch a lift. bearing in mind, I could have been faster and got another lift or a bit slower and missed first car. Literally he came off roundabout as I turned and put thumb out he pulled over. 
    This is how conversation went!
    Jumped in and he said 
    where to? I said Bristol onto South Wales. Ok turns out he is going to South Wales. Result. 
    Where in South Wales? Bargoed near Caerphilly area. Great he is going to Bargoed. Bigger Result, very lucky. 
    Ok where in Bargoed? now I am getting a bit concerned, is he a weirdo? Usk Road I say. 
    That's handy, just up from Bristol Terrace? Yes, getting spooked now, remember I was only about 18. 
    which end? Mountain end, 
    oh do you know such and such? I said yes, the youngest married my best mate? 
    Well I am their uncle going up to stay with them

what are the chances?
    Oddly I bought a house here in Walsall....in a place called Usk close, ...I later found out the builder was from Usk ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Many years ago I phoned a shop in the West Midlands, as they had a Space Echo for sale. They told me it was on consignment and that the guy who owned it would call me later.

Anyway, he phoned and said, "I noticed that you have an 01480 number. You don't happen to live in St Neots, by any chance?"

"Yes", I replied, "Eynesbury, to be precise."

"What a coincidence! My sister lives in Eynesbury and I'll be visiting her tomorrow. What street do you live in?"

"Howitt's Gardens"

"You're joking! My sister lives in Howitt's Gardens!"

And so I had a Space Echo delivered to me the next day by a lovely bloke who became a good friend. Weird how some things work out.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Mathematically these sorts of things have to happen every once in a while, but it is always surprising when they do.

I was with Mrs Oct in a restaurant once in Melbourne and the waitress looked at my forearm tattoo and said 'I like the design' and then showed me a tattoo she had done on her... upper chest area (which in itself was a treat).
    I took one look at the design and said 'That looks like an Annabelle Headlam design', who is a tattooist now based out of Austria that I knew from Sydney when she was living there.
    The waitress said 'Wow, yeah it is. I used to work with her in a bar in Sydney'.
    I said 'Would that be the Basement?' (A well known jazz club in Sydney).
    'Yes, it is' she replied.
    Well you must know [my best mate from those days and who I went travelling with through South America].
    'Yes, I do' she replied 'we used to date'.

So this woman is the ex girlfriend of my best mate who split up with him 6 months before I met him and we went travelling.
    He had talked about this ex on a regular basis but I'd never met her.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    A daughter of a friend of mine was in Trafalgar Square in the 90s watching some dancing Hare Krishna monks when a pigeon flew into her head which knocked her over. 

A couple of of months later she was in a pub in Gosport explaining the story to some friends when a man on the next table, who was messing with a camcorder, overheard and interrupted to say he was there filming the dancers and had the footage on the camcorder and showed them. 
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I've certainly met people I wasn't expecting to see, hundreds or even over a thousand miles away from where I would expect to meet them, but that was largely due to them working for the same company.

I was on holiday with my parents, in Cyprus, when we got into a taxi. The guy driving used to live in the same street as my mum.

I met an old school friend from Newport, quite by chance, in Brighton as I was walking home from the train station. That one was quite sad / poignant for me, because at 30 years old it was quite clear that I had drifted so far from the young carefree me, and was now a career man with attitudes far different from my friend, whereas she was still in perpetual student mode and was in Brighton doing "art and stuff". We exchanged numbers and I think we both knew that neither would call the other. It should / could have been a wake-up call for me, I was still child-free and largely responsibility-free.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Another funny one for me, in 2014 I went to Falklands Islands to do a 20minute inspection. 
    Flew out Sunday got there Monday, did inspection Tuesday rest of week off till I flew out Friday. 

So Wednesday popped into Port Stanley radio station for a chat as I also work on a radio station they said do a show if you want. So I did but had to wait in studio as another Presenter was in next studio finishing her show. waved through the window to say hi and that was it. 
    Back home in Sherborne speaking to landlord of local pub about it and he said our new barmaid is from Falklands, we were introduced where I found out presenter I had waved to was her mum!
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    About 20 years ago, we went to Fuerteventura with the kids for a break, and found a little pizzeria/bar which was quite nice. There were six people in there, other than us (it was quite early) and the bar owner. I went to order a drink and glanced at the couple at the next table. I said to the lady 'hello, I know you from the Greyhound at Yarlet Bank' - a pub I used at the time, near Stafford where we live. 

She worked there, and we chatted for a couple of minutes. I went to sit down and a chap at another table said 'that's strange, we live in Stafford as well'. 

I noticed the other couple in the bar smiling, and asked 'go on, don't tell me you live in Stafford as well', half-jokingly. 

'No, we don't - we live in Rugeley', was the reply. Rugeley's about six miles away. 

Call me Dave.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    edited July 2019
    I did a tour with four other players a few years ago, two of whom I knew well and the other two I met for the first time on the gig. We were away for about two weeks, during which time I had my birthday as did the two players I hadn't met before. On the same day!!

What are the odds?

So we were amazed and called the drummer's friend in New York who was a statistician/mathematician. Turns out it's highly improbably, I can't remember the number he came up with, but ridiculous. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    About 8 years back, family skiing holiday in Austria. Young daughter had lessons all week within a young Canadian lady teacher.  We met her in the last day when going to watch the ski school races.  While chatting I asked where she was from
    ... somewhere in Canada, but I’ve been living in England for the past couple of years.
    Me : Oh where ?
    Near Reading
    etc etc further questions getting geographically closer and closer, 
    until it turns out she had been doing her A levels 200 yards from where we live

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    And 25 odd years ago I bumped into my housemate in a tiny chapel on a hill in Athens.  They had gone on holiday to Crete, and just decided to do a boat day trip to Athens.  I’d gone interrailing and got the cheapest furthest outbound flight I could find, which turned out to be Athens as well
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Last year, we went to Florence. We'd booked tickets to see Andrea Bocelli in his home town of Lajatico in Tuscany - I suppose it was a two-hour drive south of Florence. We were queuing outside a museum (the one with Michaelango's David in it) and got talking to a couple of American women. 

The next night, we drove down to Lajatico for the open-air concert. I went to get a couple of drinks and standing next to me in the queue were the two American women again. We chatted again.

The next day, we drove across from Florence to Pisa to drop the car off and fly home. On the way to Pisa we thought we'd stop off at a very lovely place called Lucca, about 20km away from Pisa. We stopped by an ice cream van (it was bloody warm) - next thing, a tap on the shoulder and... yep. It was them.

We talked a bit more and I mentioned that I'd like to visit Lubbock, Texas (the birthplace of Buddy Holly) next year. Said the younger one of the two, 'I'm from Lubbock'. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    About twenty years ago I did a round-the-world backpacking trip with my ex. We were in Sarawak Borneo when we bumped into a girl my ex had worked with in England not long before. Neither had any idea the other was travelling to the Far East. Several weeks later we were in Penang and going up an escalator when the same girl appeared coming down the opposite escalator. What are the chances of that? We weren’t sure which of us was doing the stalking :D 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    entanglement..... spooky action at a distance  ...

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I've posted this before but can't find it.

My band played a marquee wedding in rural Staffs where the groom reformed his University band - they used our gear and played their usual 5 song indie set from the early 90s. I got talking to their singer (who'd been using my amp) and he told me he'd come down from Sheffield for the wedding and also that he was Bjorn in an Abba tribute. 

The very next weekend I went with my wife to her work colleague's 50th birthday party at her work's social club in Stafford. I was vaguely aware she'd booked an Abba tribute but imagine my (and his) surprise when it was the same bloke.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    edited July 2019
    One night a few years ago I was listening to music on my computer, with my iTunes on random shuffle for the whole library, which has well over 30,000 songs in it. It was getting near midnight, and David Bowie's Space Oddity came on... not only one of my favourite Bowie songs but the very first pop song I ever liked as a child - just because it was about space. I didn't think too much of it until two songs later (I don't remember what the intervening one was) it played Rock 'n' Roll Suicide - the song he wrote about the death of Ziggy Stardust. I thought this was a curious coincidence, and that it was an appropriate place to end the evening so I turned it off and went to bed. In the morning I woke up, looked at the BBC news and found that Bowie had died that night.

Bear in mind that the odds of playing those two specific songs out of over 30,000 is about one billion to one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I have to go to Sweden for work in August, flying into Copenhagen.

On the very same day the ex is flying to Copenhagen with the kids to visit her new partner in Sweden.

Just waiting to find out if we're going to be on the same flight.................

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Many years ago I phoned a shop in the West Midlands, as they had a Space Echo for sale. They told me it was on consignment and that the guy who owned it would call me later.

Anyway, he phoned and said, "I noticed that you have an 01480 number. You don't happen to live in St Neots, by any chance?"

"What a coincidence! My sister lives in Eynesbury and I'll be visiting her tomorrow. What street do you live in?"

"Howitt's Gardens"

And so I had a Space Echo delivered to me the next day by a lovely bloke who became a good friend. Weird how some things work out.
    eh? I expected this to be that you bought from yourself from a parallel Universe or that your Sister played guitar better than you and you were in total denial....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"Howitt's Gardens"

eh? I expected this to be that you bought from yourself from a parallel Universe or that your Sister played guitar better than you and you were in total denial....
    Everyone plays guitar better than me!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    57Deluxe said:

"Howitt's Gardens"

Everyone plays guitar better than me!
    I don't.