It was fifty years ago today...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
https://youtu.be/RMINSD7MmT4

Even now I still, very clearly, remember watching this. Sure I didn’t realise the significance though.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I remember watching it all happening as well. I was laid up at home recovering from glandular fever.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If you look carefully you can occasionally see the boom mic come into shot.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    lol like boom mics are real. Waaaaake up man. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    so they need a huge high powered thrust rocket to get there but then they can return to earth using this little farty pod thing yeah? oh right ok
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    tony99 said:
    so they need a huge high powered thrust rocket to get there but then they can return to earth using this little farty pod thing yeah? oh right ok
    Less gravity on moon. Lander only takes them to the return vehicle that’s orbiting the moon. I’m guessing you know this.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
      Brilliant stuff. I remember seeing it on TV when I was 10 and being enthralled by the whole experience. I even wrote a letter to NASA at the time asking for more information about them and they posted me a large booklet detailing their space programs. I treasured that for years.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited July 2019
    It only took 43 years from Goddard's first liquid fuelled rocket to Apollo 11. What also has to be acknowledged is the  role of German WW2 scientists and engineers who developed the V1 and V2.

Werner Von Braun's primary interest in rockets was for space travel. After the first V2 landed on London he is quoted as saying, "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    The lunar module descent in full, this is gripping stuff:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Stunning technical and human achievement.

Let's get to Mars next (much, much harder I know, before everyone chimes in).

I have heard that the mission involves spending two years isolated away from home, so far all applicants are married...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    If we hadn't spent 20 years messing around with the mistake that was the Space Shuttle we could have gone to Mars by now.

There's a brilliant what-if sci-fi novel by Stephen Baxter called Voyage which tells the alternate history story from the end of Apollo where the decision was made to go to Mars instead of building the shuttle. It's a fascinating look at what might have been.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    I was 9 - I recall we had to sit in the school hall on the floor - The headteacher brought in a small black and white telly and put it on the stage - So I have clear memory of this part  - But the telly would be to small to actually see anything especially from a few yards away - So I have a memory of the event - But I dare say all my images of the event are based on pics and news clips that we've all seen over the years

I vaguely recall a big fuss about Apollo 8 and later 13
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    If we hadn't spent 20 years messing around with the mistake that was the Space Shuttle we could have gone to Mars by now.

Wasn't the Space Shuttle designed to give easy access to the Space Station? A Space Station seems like a sensible first step to interplanetary travel. Perhaps with hindsight going straight to Mars by rocket would have been a good idea but the at the time the Space Station seemed like a logical progression and must have taught us a lot about the long term issues of living in space.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Landing on Mars isn't the difficult bit. Getting off is the problem.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I recall watching the moon walk on a big B&W telly in school. Total fan !!!!!!

Apollo 13 was brilliant "jazz" spacefaring - read Jim Lovell's book and watch Ron Howard's adaptation (made without any help or footage from NASA).

Wright Brothers to Apollo 11 took eighty years - we haven't really achieved a lot in the 50 years since Apollo 11 .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

Regardless of whether the Space Shuttle was a "mistake", I think we could all agree NASA learnt bucket loads from having persevered with it.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited July 2019
    Kilgore said:
    Landing on Mars isn't the difficult bit. Getting off is the problem.
    Matt Damon's already been there and done that. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Jalapeno said:
    I recall watching the moon walk on a big B&W telly in school. Total fan !!!!!!

Apollo 13 was brilliant "jazz" spacefaring - read Jim Lovell's book and watch Ron Howard's adaptation (made without any help or footage from NASA).

Wright Brothers to Apollo 11 took eighty years - we haven't really achieved a lot in the 50 years since Apollo 11 .....
    Well we HAVE, especially in computer technology, medicine has advanced a lot.

The problem is, as it is with many things, we are greedy, greedy people, and nobody wants to feel like they are PAYING for a mission to Mars.  It all comes down to money, sadly.

A trip to Mars would probably cost a trillion dollars and unite the world, at a time when the US are probably seriously considering spending a trillion dollars plus thousands of lives on war with Iran.

Sigh...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited July 2019
    I can remember staying up late to watch the moon landing. I’d somehow thought they would get straight out of the LEM and walk on the moon so was a bit disappointed when it was just lots of studio talk and no pictures. My memory of Neil Armstrong actually doing the first moonwalk was how disappointingly dull and grainy the pictures were. Looking back, I obviously wasn’t an easily pleased child.  o