Home Guinness drinkers

What's Hot
Anyone else shocked to find their supermarkets have replaced the Draught Guinness cans with Guinness Original (stout)

My local Tesco's & Sainburys have completely replaced the draught with these new satin black cans with very similar logo's.

The staff in both stores don't understand the difference!

Guinness must be really pushing this 'promotion' to the stores buyers, BUT it's a totally different drink FFS

Can't just be local to me, anyone else notice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I was always an export drinker. The Nigerian stuff is the best but I have had to make do with the West Indian stuff for years now.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Wouldn't bother me if Guinness disappeared completely.
    Repulsive stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    Very different drink.
    Of all the ‘draught’ style cans I prefer Guinness to any others.
    Of course it will never be as good as a decent pint from a good pub. And I’m also aware that the nearer to Dublin you drink a pint, the better it tastes - did the tour, poured my own. Even Mrs G enjoyed her pint at the Storeroom and normally she can’t stand the stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 548
    I've visited the Storehouse 3 times over the years and still laugh at the time my missus asked for a Stella in the Gravity Bar :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Guinness isn't a patch on what it used to be 30 years ago. The West Indian version is better and the extra Stout better still, but it's still a bit wappy. Brewed for a modern palate with lower bitterness. 

I have 19l of XXXtra Stout, 7.5%,  in keg maturing for autumn. It was great when it went in and will be brilliant when it mellows a bit. 
  • I remember a friend saying canned ones taste metallic - which is funny, because they're actually stored in plastic, like all other canned drinks.

I did a blind test of poured correctly vs not poured correctly, and couldn't taste a difference - the bubbles were a tad smaller on the many-minute wait one. So if you don't want to wait 119.53 seconds half way through the drink, just pour away knowing it tastes the same to 99 percent of people. I do like the theatre though - a beer for pretentious cocktail lovers :) 

Both still tasted good :) nice light beer. I think the only difference between draught vs original is the carbonation, so it's a bit weird if they'd stop stocking the draught one (which I'd imagine most people prefer?). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    FYI, it's not carbonated. It's served under nitrogen pressure, apparently that what give it the very creamy head (that and the grain types)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Draught Guinness is where it is at. Every thing else is competing for second place. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    hywelg said:
    I have 19l of XXXtra Stout, 7.5%,  in keg maturing for autumn. It was great when it went in and will be brilliant when it mellows a bit. 
    Who makes that?
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    Bought some from asda last night. Different can design but it was still draught.

Non draught guinness is disgusting stuff. I made the mistake of buying some a few months ago thinking it would be pretty similar to draught, but it wasn't. It was just horrible, I couldn't drink it. 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    The 7.5% brewed in Ireland export is a wonderful strong bottled stout, comes in 330ml bottles. 
    I really didn't like the Nigerian one.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    if you gonner go to the 'Dark Side' drink Mackesons!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Always thought Guinness Original was much the better drink anyway, myself.
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    I usually buy draught Guinness, from Aldi, but if they are out of stock there is always toilet duck as a backup!
  • I tried some Mena Dhu at the weekend, lovely stuff if you can get it!

https://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/mena-dhu
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Early on in the late 80s, early 90s, Irish stout makers tried weird plastic syringes to get the head right at home, then ultrasonic trays
    These were great to get English bitter from bottles to taste like pub bitter at home
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Guinness still use the surger unit for getting the head right. 

WezV said:
    Guinness still use the surger unit for getting the head right. 

that's the one
    I think we chucked it out when I had to stop drinking beer (coeliac disease)
    I wonder if I can find one for sale now
    everyone wants collector's item money for them now. Was £5 new, now £50 second hand