This Love (Maroon 5 Solo)

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So been playing this for a long time with an outro solo but never quite known what to play over it. 

Chord wise its C min, F min, Bb Maj, Eb Maj. Usually taking the safe road and sticking to an Eb min Pent but im sure theres something better out there for it.. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    Did you mean to say C min pentatonic?

Cm aeolian mode (which has the same notes as Eb major) seems to work. So you could add the 2 (D) and the b6 (Ab) notes to C min pentatonic.

It's not a competition.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    You're right, I did. I need to look at some Aeolian licks then. Thank you!
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    edited July 2019
    The only thing to add is that in the song they alternate between

i-iv-bVII-bIII (Cmin - Fmin - Bb - Eb), and

i-IV-bVII-V7 (Cmin - F MAJOR - Bb - G7) - * edit maybe that Bb is an Ab actually

When the IV is major you need to switch to C Dorian - at least for the Cmin and F chords, so sweeten that 6th with an A natural during the first 2 chords of the second line. (Or stick to C min penta which doesn’t care if it’s Aeolian or Dorian)

i love that song. It’s the only song I know that starts with a dominant chord 1st inversion. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    There should be a "Vizdom" button to click whenever you reply in this section @viz
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lol not really but fanku :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I meant to comment on this earlier but I forgot so apologies @viz ;

When we play it, we stick the F minor chord all the time, Ill have to have a re-listen as Id never noticed that before
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    viz said:

i-IV-bVII-bIII (Cmin - F MAJOR - Bb - G7) - * edit maybe that Bb is an Ab actually

When the IV is major you need to switch to C Dorian - at least for the Cmin and F chords, so sweeten that 6th with an A natural during the first 2 chords of the second line. (Or stick to C min penta which doesn’t care if it’s Aeolian or Dorian)

i love that song. It’s the only song I know that starts with a dominant chord 1st inversion. 
    Wait what... speak English my good man. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    viz said:

i-IV-bVII-bIII (Cmin - F MAJOR - Bb - G7) - * edit maybe that Bb is an Ab actually

Wait what... speak English my good man. 
    Ha ha I would’ve not understood that either before I took some lessons with @viz. I know exactly what he means now. Thanks Viz
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Nobody cares - but just have fun blasting away over it for your own benefit - I've realised very little of what you do at a gig is appreciated - people are more impressed by you playing a rock n roll lick over and over than using an Aeolian mode, a melodic minor arpeggio and applying any semblance of clever musical phrasing or time feel :)

That's not to say you shouldn't try to make things more interesting for yourself - that's what gets you through these gigs!

Vaiai said:
    Nobody cares - but just have fun blasting away over it for your own benefit - I've realised very little of what you do at a gig is appreciated - people are more impressed by you playing a rock n roll lick over and over than using an Aeolian mode, a melodic minor arpeggio and applying any semblance of clever musical phrasing or time feel :)

That's not to say you shouldn't try to make things more interesting for yourself - that's what gets you through these gigs!

I completely agree with both halves of that. It’s really rewarding to work at your music as well as rewarding to play rock to an audience, and they could be different things. 

Cheers @hotpickups!