Dual lock vs. Velcro

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
Those of you that use dual lock, do you still put a whole strip along each 'run' of a pedalboard, or do you just put it where you're going to need it, given that it's that much more grippy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I used dual lock for a long time and it is great if you never move your pedals about.

I move my pedals all the time, on an almost daily basis, so I went back to hook and loop.
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    octatonic said:
    I used dual lock for a long time and it is great if you never move your pedals about.

I move my pedals all the time, on an almost daily basis, so I went back to hook and loop.
    Same here, although I don’t move pedals quite so much...

I find the heavy duty Velcro is perfect. In my experience it holds the pedals just as well as dual lock but it’s much easier to remove pedals. Gotta be the proper Velcro though.

Even the smallest amounts of dual lock on pedals would on occasion, leave my fingers in bits. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    If you put a whole strip of dual lock on your board and your pedals they will NEVER come off. Small strips in the appropriate places is all you'll need.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I put full-length 25mm wide Dual Lock on the board. Pedals get two pieces on, which are the 25mm strip cut usually into thirds length-wise. Strymon-type things get four small squares or small strips.
    Grips fine and can still hold the board upside down with nothing falling off, and they come off easy enough as well.

Think there's two types of D/L with different numbers of sticky-up things and grip levels, so guess you have to be consistent buying it.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    I use 1/3 of what I use with other pedals. Dual lock is particularly good with the rubber base pedals, just have 4 20mm-ish squares on each corner.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 282
    I find dual lock can be made less grippy by running my fingers along the strips, just to bend the plastic grippy bits a bit and make them more malleable.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • Dual lock is easier to remove than heavy duty velcro if you can get leverage.

Dual lock across the top only - then it's easy to "peel" pedals off but they won't shift. A bit of velcro at the bottom for stability. 
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Standard velcro every time, unless you have one pedal board to rule them all! I used the dual lock and after 2-3 pedal moves, the dual lock came off my pedal leaving a horrid residue behind. Normal velcro is pretty darn suitable for the job and you can move pedals around without issue.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    edited July 2019
    Fluffy velcro on the board, then hooky velcro or dual lock on the pedals. I have an Atomic Amplifire 12 on my board which is secured with all of the above. Large hooky patches on the underside with a few bits off strategically placed dual lock around the edges.  Works well.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I think I'm off to tour the world so I used to use 3m dual lock. Its great stuff but if you change your mind like me and move stuff around 3m is a pain. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.