VI V I country turnarounds?

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10893
edited July 2019 in Technique
Anyone know a good VI V I country turnarounds?  Country blues I guess

May have been offered a country and western gig lol

In fact any country advice would be good, I can busk it but would be nice to add a bit of flair
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    You could use the classic blues turnaround xxx434 xxx323 xxx212 xxx100, or add bass (if you have a compliant bassist) 4xx434 x0x323 x1x212 x2x100 then finish off with a C9 to B9 slide.

Bends are important in country - you'll know the classic 2nd->maj3rd bend topped off with a 5th I assume?  Try following with an octave and then the 7th, gives a nice secondary dominant feel for moving to the IV chord.  Also double stops work nicely - 2nd-3rd, 4th-5th, 6th-7th are good, accompanied by the root or 5th.  Also try chromatic runs.  If I'm feeling adventurous I'll do a diminished run on the V chord (B7, D7, F7, G#7), which can work but is pushing the country envelope to its limit!

I could do a little video of this lot if it doesn't make sense!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    edited September 2019
    roberty said:

In fact any country advice would be good, I can busk it but would be nice to add a bit of flair
    Just seen this - if you want them I've got a couple of cracking country books in pdf - been doing country stuff with a few students over the last few weeks, really good fun. Some of it's stuff I'd never have thought of, but a lot of it is really easy to get under your fingers in an hour or two. 

edit: I've pinged you an email with them anyway. Sitting around waiting to see whether band is on/off so gave me something to do - enjoy :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:

Just seen this - if you want them I've got a couple of cracking country books in pdf - been doing country stuff with a few students over the last few weeks, really good fun. Some of it's stuff I'd never have thought of, but a lot of it is really easy to get under your fingers in an hour or two. 

edit: I've pinged you an email with them anyway. Sitting around waiting to see whether band is on/off so gave me something to do - enjoy :)
    Amazing thank you so much. I'll check it out. It's all about vocabulary I think, the chords are rarely ever tricky but there are so many ways to approach it
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    @vibetronic This is right up my street too. What books do you recommend? I’m on holiday just now without a guitar so some guitar related reading would be the next best thing. :) 
  • roberty said:
    roberty said:

Amazing thank you so much. I'll check it out. It's all about vocabulary I think, the chords are rarely ever tricky but there are so many ways to approach it
    You're welcome - there's a bit on 'oblique bends' which is my favourite, although there's loads of tasty licks throughout!

• camf said:
    @vibetronic This is right up my street too. What books do you recommend? I’m on holiday just now without a guitar so some guitar related reading would be the next best thing. :) 
    if you can ping me your email I can send them (if you're able to read .pdfs on a device wherever you happen to be?). 
    Excellent! The iPad awaits. Thanks very much. 
  • camf said:
    Excellent! The iPad awaits. Thanks very much. 
    Email sent, have fun :)
    Cheers sir! Slow download on rural French WiFi underway.
  • @Vibetronic I'd also be really interested in the names of the books. I'm just dipping a toe into Country and would welcome the possibility of learning Cheers

• @Vibetronic I'd also be really interested in the names of the books. I'm just dipping a toe into Country and would welcome the possibility of learning Cheers

No worries-just pm me your email and I’ll send them over  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camf said:
    "Slow download on rural French WiFi"
    That certainly *sounds* like a country song

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom