NAD ! Marshall SC20H LONG TERM TEST

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited August 2019 in Amps
My new amp finally arrived at the weekend.

Marshall SC20H . I'm a long time JCM800 user, so I was mega interested in these when the came out. Tried it with the other 20 watters at an open day a while ago but the order only just came.

first impressions?? Sounds great.Loads of bass if you need it, and the reduced headroom really works for getting the kind of drive you wish you could get out of the big amps plugged straight in.

I've got 2 practices and 2 gigs this week, so it'll be getting some decent real world testing!!

*****EDIT*****

Though I'd keep this thread going as a kind of "long term test" thing for anyone else who is looking at these amps.
I find that sort of thing really useful when I'm looking at gear.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited July 2019
    Congratulations! That's a good report. Something inside is telling me I need a big 2203, but the sensible side of my head is telling me I need an SC20H!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited July 2019
    Last night I used it for band practice , this particular band has a very hard hitting drummer , the hardest I’ve played with anyway . 
    I plugged into a Marshall 1960B with my les Paul custom , set the amp with everything on half , sounded fantastic . It definitely kept up with the drummer , but I’m not sure if I’d get much more volume out of it as once you get over half way it doesn’t get much louder , just dirtier. Mind you I’m not sure I’d need more volume .
    No pedals needed, sounded great , it sounded really clear in a band mix too . It didnt get mushy or squealy like my orange Brent hinds used to do at that volume .
    Ive for another practice with a different band and 2 gigs over the weekend with it . I’m pleased with it so far !
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Running around half volume is the sweet spot on the 20watters in my experience.  Glad you're liking the SC20H, I'll be picking one up myself at some point...
    Twinfan said:
    Running around half volume is the sweet spot on the 20watters in my experience.  Glad you're liking the SC20H, I'll be picking one up myself at some point...
    I've never had any of my full size JCM800's up to halfway , imagine!!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    At last!

I'm still loving mine. It's a great amp.

I've got single coils in my strat at the moment so I've got a few drive pedals with it.

The Guitarsystems Fuzztool Jnr has kicked my Thorpy Vet off my board at the moment, and my usual favourite the SD-1W has been bumped for an old Zoom Hyper Lead.

And my TateFX BMB (super Rat!) is still on there.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I don't need one, would never be able to turn it up to even halfway at home, but still drool over it!

A guitarist in a band we used to gig with had a full fat JCM800 and it was easily the best dirty tone I have ever heard. That tone at a (slightly) more manageable volume is very appealing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited July 2019
    I still quite fancy one even though I have a Jubilee and not even in a band at the minute! They sound great, glad you finally got one and it hasn't disappointed :)
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited July 2019

The Guitarsystems Fuzztool Jnr has kicked my Thorpy Vet off my board at the moment, and my usual favourite the SD-1W has been bumped for an old Zoom Hyper Lead.
    Ooh dibs on the fuzz tool if I may old bean?

Really keen to try the SC, see if it brings back the old 2203 days!
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i've run a JCM800 on half before for a laugh and it's brutally loud, literally shook the windows. A punchy 20w that is louder than drums at half volume sounds like a winner

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited July 2019
    These 20w Marshalls are the perfect rehearsal and gigging rock amps imo. Volume around 6 is plenty for rehearsal and micd gig, even with my jubilee through the combo speaker. This SC20H sounds immense through a Greenback 412
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    photek said:

The Fuzztool is the best Fuzz I have ever used. I must have had it for about 10 years

I'll be buried with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31586
    photek said:

The Fuzztool is the best Fuzz I have ever used. I must have had it for about 10 years

I'll be buried with it.
    Yes, but where? 
    :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yesterday I played 2 gigs with 2 different bands in 2 different venues using the sc20h. 

1st gig - punk/hardcore/crossover band with 2 guitars in a bar . Vocal only pa , big room . Marshall 4x12 cabs provided.
    i’d realised while i’d Been setting up that I’ve actually had the amp on the low power setting . So at 5 watts half up it’d played over a hard hitting drummer . 
    Unmic’d in a big room on full power setting 4 on the master volume was more than enough for the gig . No pedals needed . 

Next gig , open air festival with full pa playing in a punk covers band . Sc20h into a H&k 2x12.
    more than loud enough on 4 . No pedals needed , just used the guitar volume and pickup switch . 

Really happy with the amp . I need to think carefully about a cab as I didn’t think it sounded as good with the h&k 2x12. Don’t know wether it’s the v30’s or the cab . 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Marshalls always sound better with 4x12s. I accept my 2x12 won't sound as good for the ease of transportation - you have to compromise sometimes :)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    @riffpowers a 212 will sound a little better to the player if vertical rather than horizontal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Another couple of gigs done with the SC20H.
    Played a club gig with a 2 guitar hardcore band , full vocal PA in a big room. The SC20H plugged into a 1960b.
    MORE than loud  and powerful enough. I was on the high power setting and ended up around 3 or 4 on the master. I'm still surprised how loud these are compared to the other lunch box heads I've owned. The volume is there, and so is the power. It doesn't get squashy like the orange heads I've owned.

I've also been playing it a lot at home. I've noticed that it really brings out the different sound sin different guitars I have an LP custom and an LP studio. Both sound different through the amp. I always think this is the sign of a good amp

I still need to sort a decent cab for it. I've noticed that cabs make a huge difference to the amp. It sounds pretty thin and scratchy through the crappy rental room entry level marshall cabs they have there, and sounded a LOT better through the other decent cabs I've used. Still not sure what to go for, more testing needed!!.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not a big pedal user, but I've got a wah, delay, and tubescreamer on my board.

The wah is a dunlop 95Q.and sounds great all the way through it;s travel. Might try it without the built in boost engaged and see if there's much of a difference. 

The delay is a ibanez ad9 mini. I use it for playing dead kennedys songs in the covers band I play in. Ray used an echoplex into the front of his marshall JMP, this gives me similar results. Sounds great to me, I've not needed to put it in the loop.

I'm a big fan of tubescreamers, but haven't really been using them with the amp as I think it has enough drive, but I have been thinking about trying it for a bit. I just like the way tubescreamers sound with JCM800's. I tried a SD1 I have lying around, but it seemed to add noise.

• I boost mine with an OD808 and it sounds great. It just tightens the whole amp up a lot and get's you into more high gain territory.

I boost mine with an OD808 and it sounds great. It just tightens the whole amp up a lot and get's you into more high gain territory.
    Might start trying it,
  • Let me know how you get on, mate! Enjoy!