Mini hifi with CD player and DAB radio?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Can any of you fine folks recommend a mini hifi with CD player and dab radio for around £100 please? I've looked on eBay and there is a plethora of systems but I just don't know what's good and what's not! If any of you have any recommendations that would be most helpful, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Size room, how loud do you need it to go? 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Size room, how loud do you need it to go? 
    Small living room, not bothered with how loud it will go as long as it fills the room.
  • Denon and Marantz do brilliant minis but might struggle at £100 but you might get used on eBay
    Denon and Marantz do brilliant minis but might struggle at £100 but you might get used on eBay
    Thank you I'll check them out.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    edited July 2019

If you can stretch the budget a bit and don't need speakers, I'm selling a silver Denon RCD-M41 for £125 plus postage. 

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/compactsystem/bluetoothsystem/rcdm41dab

Cracking system, simply don't need the CD player or radio now so I've gone back to just a power amp with the audio interface and PC. 

EDIT: Actually hold off on that offer. Astoundingly my old and faithful NAD power amp had just started crackling! Aaargh! Can't fix it until Thursday sadly... 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7828
    At that size and budget, Denon. You'll get something cheap on eBay, but speakers on these systems usually suck.  Worth paying a bit extra for something decent.
  • Oo Oo Oo just remembered, Onkyo also do banging mini hifis.

And there is the Yamaha pianocraft stuff..

Also Yamaha have a current that a friend has in her dining room.. It is impressive but I feel will struggle in a living room.. Its only about £100 new nowadays 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

If you can stretch the budget a bit and don't need speakers, I'm selling a silver Denon RCD-M41 for £125 plus postage. 

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/compactsystem/bluetoothsystem/rcdm41dab

Cracking system, simply don't need the CD player or radio now so I've gone back to just a power amp with the audio interface and PC. 

EDIT: Actually hold off on that offer. Astoundingly my old and faithful NAD power amp had just started crackling! Aaargh! Can't fix it until Thursday sadly... 
    Thank you for the offer, I don't have speakers though unless my Alesis powered speakers for recording would work with it?

TheMarlin said:
    At that size and budget, Denon. You'll get something cheap on eBay, but speakers on these systems usually suck.  Worth paying a bit extra for something decent.
    Thank you for your reply, I'll see if I can stretch the budget.

Oo Oo Oo just remembered, Onkyo also do banging mini hifis.

Also Yamaha have a current that a friend has in her dining room.. It is impressive but I feel will struggle in a living room.. Its only about £100 new nowadays 
    Thank you I'll check them out, the living room won't be very big as it'll be a council flat so room will be at a premium and a gnats fart could probably be heard in there!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Oo Oo Oo just remembered, Onkyo also do banging mini hifis.

Another vote for Onkyo. 

I had a CD515DAB and it was bloody good.  They go for about fifty quid on eBay now.... budget another fifty for some wharfdale diamond 9’s and jobs a good un. 
    Would I be able to use my Alesis powered speakers if I bought a separate hifi unit? I'm not clued up on these things so any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
    Also does anyone have any experience with Blaupunkt hifi's? I've seen a decent looking one with speakers but don't know if they're much cop? 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    zepp76 said:
    Also does anyone have any experience with Blaupunkt hifi's? I've seen a decent looking one with speakers but don't know if they're much cop? 
    Bought one from Argos for £100 for a present in April. They are really happy with it, CD/DAB & Bluetooth, so you can stream music through it. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    edited July 2019
    Denon and Marantz do brilliant minis but might struggle at £100 but you might get used on eBay
    Here's a Denon mini with DAB/CD & USB.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-RCD-M39DAB-radio-CD-player-USB-MP3-Mini-HiFi-in-Black/352728587143?hash=item5220431b87:g:2G8AAOSwL31dOgUX

Add a pair of speakers from RicherSounds, like these classic Diamonds;
    https://www.richersounds.com/wharfedale-9-0-black.html

And that should keep you going for a fair old while.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-RCD-M39DAB-radio-CD-player-USB-MP3-Mini-HiFi-in-Black/352728587143?hash=item5220431b87:g:2G8AAOSwL31dOgUX

Thank you for the link, the speakers are reserved for me at my local store and I'll hopefully pick them up tomorrow. I'm hopefully sorted for the hifi, a Denon RCD-M41. I've gone way over budget but I should be set up for decent sounds for a while.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    Can't go wrong with a Yamaha system
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    zepp76 said:
    TTony said:

Thank you for the link, the speakers are reserved for me at my local store and I'll hopefully pick them up tomorrow. I'm hopefully sorted for the hifi, a Denon RCD-M41. I've gone way over budget but I should be set up for decent sounds for a while.
    You will be delighted.  I bought one of those compact Denon units for my daughter's 14th birthday (pre DAB).  She's 32 now and it's still in active service in her kitchen.  Still sounds very good.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    The Denon M39/40/41 series are great for the money. The CD tray seems to be a weak point. Load CDs with care! Currently been running a second room system of an M41 into Arcam Musos for 6 years at least with decent sound quality and reliable so far. Enjoy!  =)
    Thanks chaps. How important would a subwoofer be? The unit has the ability to connect one but I'm unsure of wether it is really needed or not? 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    zepp76 said:
    Thanks chaps. How important would a subwoofer be? The unit has the ability to connect one but I'm unsure of wether it is really needed or not? 
    I think I'd try it without one first, just to see how it sounds - let your ears decide whether it's necessary.