6v6's best buy?

What's Hot
mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 505
Any strong recommendations or are they pretty much of a muchness? I'm referring to modern valves as opposed to NOS etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 753
    edited July 2019
    It’s hard to go wrong with JJ power valves. Their 6V6s are pretty ‘big’ sounding - some commonality with a 6L6. Tung Sol also decent and maybe more of the softer traditional 6V6 tone.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    JJs are the most reliable of the modern power valves in my experience. Karltone do good prices on them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

JJs are the most reliable electrically, but I've had problems with filament rattle with them in combos.

However they are fine in many modern combos where the HT is well over 400 VDC.

Tungsols have a more traditional 6V6 sound, and don't seem to be prone to rattle, but I don't use these in amps with a high HT.

None of the other new production 6V6s are up to much in my view.
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 505
    Not entirely sure what ht is referring to? The amp in question is a tone king imperial. Also, I kind of dismissed the idea of nos based on am unqualified idea that they are expensive. Are there any that are worth looking at do you think without being £££££
    Cheers
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

HT is "high tension" ie the high voltage imposed on the valves. We've worked on a Tone King Imperial so I can probably find out this voltage for you.

NOS 6V6s aren't as expensive as some other valves eg KT66s. However unlike many valves there are a huge number of different types of 6V6 from all the major manufacturers, so it's very difficult to recommend any.