Small Cosmetic Mod

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Just changed the colour of the pickup covers on my Precision - I think it makes a huge difference, looks so cool now :D 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24162
    The black does look much better.
    Nice job! 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The black does look much better.
    Nice job! 
    Isn't it pretty cool that such a small change can affect the overall look so much?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed.
    Even swapping a lighter tort for a darker one, or just the knobs makes a massive difference.
    Maybe should start a thread (possibly on the guitar section since it's so much busier) about cosmetic mods and people can post their before and after photos like that one.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Er, which photograph is Before and which is After?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Er, which photograph is Before and which is After?
    Had to check with my mate to make sure it really was obvious which would be first lol.

I take it you did make the obvious assumption and are confused by the first reply? Make what you will of fretmeister's intent and sincerity, maybe when he reads comics he gets really confused about the order of the plot ;)

To clarify, as you probably expected, the left is the before and right is after. I just didn't bite in my reply to him because I think the big difference a small change can make is more interesting than anyone's personal preference.
    Actually it was nearly 1am and I had been drinking and I was being sarcastic.

Now that I'm sober I stand by my original comment! :D 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    Actually it was nearly 1am and I had been drinking and I was being sarcastic.

Now that I'm sober I stand by my original comment! :D 
    I actually prefer the black too - If the bass was a bit whiter, or the if the cover was a bit creamier, then I would prefer the latter.
    thegummy said:
    Make what you will of fretmeister's intent and sincerity. I just didn't bite in my reply to him because I think the big difference a small change can make is more interesting than anyone's personal preference.
    IMHO, fretmeister is attempting to overlook the anachronism of a Fifties style neck next to a black/white/black pickguard. Probably ought to be gold anodised aluminium.
    thegummy said:
    Make what you will of fretmeister's intent and sincerity. I just didn't bite in my reply to him because I think the big difference a small change can make is more interesting than anyone's personal preference.
    IMHO, fretmeister is attempting to overlook the anachronism of a Fifties style neck next to a black/white/black pickguard. Probably ought to be gold anodised aluminium.
    The stock pickguard was anodized gold but I never liked the look so had always planned to change it. Then when I got it the feel of it when my fingers, and especially nails, touched it gave me the heebie jeebies.

Changed it to white at first which I liked but then fancied a change so went to black. Then I saw the guy from wolf Alice's bass with the cream pickup cover and loved it.

The whole vintage correctness thing isn't something I'd ever think about, just what I think looks good.
    tort
    This.

Olympic White and vintage incorrect 4-ply brown tortoiseshell would do the business.

FWIIW, my Squier Silver Series P Bass is three-tone sunburst, with a USA red torty ‘guard and the AVRI ‘58 pickup that Fender erroneously installed in my AVRI ‘63. The upgrade bits are probably worth more than the host instrument.
    tort
    This.

Olympic White and vintage incorrect 4-ply brown tortoiseshell would do the business.

FWIIW, my Squier Silver Series P Bass is three-tone sunburst, with a USA red torty ‘guard and the AVRI ‘58 pickup that Fender erroneously installed in my AVRI ‘63. The upgrade bits are probably worth more than the host instrument.
    I've mocked up a Photoshop of the bass with a tort pickguard and a rosewood fretboard and it looks great but less so with the maple board.

I'm going to get another p bass at some point and one option I'm considering is to get a black bass with rosewood fretboard and swap the 2 necks (and put tort pickguard on this body) then this maple board neck on the black body would look like Roger Waters' (his actual bass, not his sig model).

Note: might not be able to tell from the photos but this bass is honey blonde which is quite a bit yellower than Olympic White.
    thegummy said:
    Nope.

cant stand the aluminium ones. Feel weird under the hands.
    thegummy said:
    this bass is honey blonde which is quite a bit yellower than Olympic White.
    In that case, single ply white would be the thing PLUS you need to drill the screw holes for where the bridge cover isn’t. ;)
    thegummy said:
    this bass is honey blonde which is quite a bit yellower than Olympic White.
    In that case, single ply white would be the thing PLUS you need to drill the screw holes for where the bridge cover isn’t. ;)
    Bridge cover = boke 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1202
    edited July 2019
    I much prefer the cream covers. Ideally the 'guard would be white or tort for me but it looks great as is.

I love cream/blonde/vintage-white guitars and basses. I think the new "buttercream" finish on the "Player" series p and j basses looks wonderful:

• RockerRocker Frets: 4975
    The OP went to all that effort just to change the color of the pickup cover. 

As they say, Jesus wept...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Rocker said:

Jesus was a bass player? Cool!
    Rocker said:

All what effort?
    Basher said:
    I much prefer the cream covers. Ideally the 'guard would be white or tort for me but it looks great as is.

I love cream/blonde/vintage-white guitars and basses. I think the new "buttercream" finish on the "Player" series p and j basses looks wonderful:

That's pretty close to what mine looked like when I first changed the pickup cover.

Then Fender came out with that and I was gutted they'd stolen my idea!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom