Sending bank details and address-any risk?

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 6770
I’m selling some kit on another forum. The buyer has asked for my full address as well as my bank transfer details. Never had to send my address before, so a bit wary. Can this data be misused and put my account at risk? Cheers.
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Alarm bell’s a ringing. He doesn’t need your address, so no need to provide it. But if you want payment, there’s no avoiding the bank account number.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited July 2019
    As a private seller presumably posting the item you do not have to give your address to a buyer.

If the buyer has requested it he’s probably just very risk averse/has doubts and wants information about you - if the gear doesn’t turn up he’s got a head start on coming to find you.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Iamnobody said:
    As a private seller presumably posting the item you do not have to give your address to a buyer.

If the buyer has requested it he’s probably just very risk averse/has doubts and wants information about you - if the gear doesn’t turn up he’s got a head start on coming to find you.
    That's what I would have thought. Don't like it though.. they don't need your address. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Give a fake address. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    On the photo forum I use the admins insist that everyone using the classifieds (buying or selling) has to supply their full address and a contact number. Presumably this is in case of any issues but I guess also to deter scammers. I’ve never had any issues with this system. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    The postal service usually want a return address anyway ..can he pay with PP?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6770
    Thanks for the advice, sounds like he’s just being cautious, which I can understand. I didn’t want PayPal as I’ve heard stories of people claiming funds back later saying account was compromised, so I’m being just as cautious.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Give him sort code and account number,  and tell him your address will be on the package, which it will if you use special delivery
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited July 2019
    Worth having a separate basic account for this type of thing that has a zero balance and no ability to have direct debits or standing orders set up.
    Move money out as soon as it's paid in.

I wouldn't give anyone i don't trust 100% my main bank details along with my address, ever.