Teeny Hi-Fi Amps

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17564
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I've currently got an old Denon mini system powering a couple of bookshelf speakers on my desk.
I'd quite like some kind of mini amplifier to replace it with ideally with a built in DAC.

Obvious contenders are the:

Source will be my Macbook.

Any thoughts on these or alternatives from the Hi-Fi enthusiasts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Possibly a bit basic for you but they get good reviews...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071Z81L6H/?coliid=IN89QB7AOGTY3
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27424
    You don't get more teeny than these

https://nanomesher.com/nanosound/

Although you might end up breaking your engineer habit
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    JezWynd said:
    Possibly a bit basic for you but they get good reviews...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071Z81L6H/?coliid=IN89QB7AOGTY3
    Worth it for the name alone:

• Is it just for when you are at the desk?

Mate has the Nad, corking little thing it is.. Personally though if spending that money I'd be looking at Sonos Amp for the freedom when not at desk.  So it might be worth considering 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17564
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I just want something to listen to rather than dick about with so I'd like a nice simple bit of consumer hardware. Also I'll be using it for Spotify anyway so laptop is better.

Is it just for when you are at the desk?

Mate has the Nad, corking little thing it is.. Personally though if spending that money I'd be looking at Sonos Amp for the freedom when not at desk.  So it might be worth considering 
    Yes it's purely for while I'm in my office when the laptop will always be on.

I have some Echo dots for multiroom in a few places.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27424
    TTony said:

I just want something to listen to rather than dick about with so I'd like a nice simple bit of consumer hardware. Also I'll be using it for Spotify anyway so laptop is better.
    Thus far it's required minimal "dicking", DAC is excellent, and plays local/USB/NAS/OneDrive - and Spotify - sources.  3.5mm output too.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4132

tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    TTony said:

Thus far it's required minimal "dicking", DAC is excellent, and plays local/USB/NAS/OneDrive - and Spotify - sources.  3.5mm output too.  
    I'm comparing it against sticking a cable into my laptop :)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Have been thinking on similar lines myself - i.e. a fairly compact one-box dac/speaker amp/headphone amp. I'm liking what I read about the Denon, especially that it includes a good headphone amp and settings for different headphone impedance values. Am I right to think that the "audio out" on the NAD is basically for headphones?
    tFB Trader
    I'm angling towards the Denon as it turns out the Mac I have lacks optical.

Why do Apple seem to deliberately make macs worse?
    tFB Trader
    Still pondering this.

From looking around it appears that there are some very nice USB DACs from a Chinese company called Topping that you can get from Amazon.

Anyone tried one?
  • Can you not just plug a couple of speakers into the mac? 
    tFB Trader
    Can you not just plug a couple of speakers into the mac? 

It depends what you mean.

I could get a couple of powered speakers, but then that's relying on the headphone output of my Mac although a bit of research suggests Macs of that era have Cirrus Logic DAC chips which are fairly decent.

Powered speakers with a USB input would be the tidyest solution, but it's quite common for the little calss D amps in them to go pop and then you just have an expensive paper weight 

The other thing that bothers me is that the amps in a lot of powered speakers are the same chips as you would get in a £50 standalone class D amp, but they add £250 to the retail price of the speakers.
  • Can you not just plug a couple of speakers into the mac? 

I could get a couple of powered speakers, but then that's relying on the headphone output of my Mac although a bit of research suggests Macs of that era have Cirrus Logic DAC chips which are fairly decent.

Powered speakers with a USB input would be the tidyest solution, but it's quite common for the little calss D amps in them to go pop and then you just have an expensive paper weight 

The other thing that bothers me is that the amps in a lot of powered speakers are the same chips as you would get in a £50 standalone class D amp, but they add £250 to the retail price of the speakers.

I meant just powered speakers - I don't know how much sound quality means to you, but sounding decent in a small space is probably possible with this sort of set up. Far from an expert though! 
    tFB Trader

I meant just powered speakers - I don't know how much sound quality means to you, but sounding decent in a small space is probably possible with this sort of set up. Far from an expert though! 

It's certainly something I'm considering. The Denon system has a pair of half decent Missions attached to it so I'd need to get reasonably spendy if I'm going to replace the speakers with something better.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    edited July 2019
    You can do just that.  But you will compromise the sound quality as the insides of a computer is a noisy place for a DAC and an amplifier (you will be using the headphone out).  Any device (DAC, amplifier etc) that can take a USB signal from your computer is almost always going to sound better than the headphone output.  And you don't need so called golden ears to hear the difference.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    You can do just that.  But you will compromise the sound quality as the insides of a computer is a noisy place for a DAC and an amplifier (you will be using the headphone out).  Any device (DAC, amplifier etc) that can take a USB signal from your computer is almost always going to sound better than the headphone output.  And you don't need so called golden ears to hear the difference.

Usually I'd agree with you, but a Cirrus Logic DAC is actually better than some of the DACs you get on low end consumer kit.

PC soundcards are however almost always totally shit.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Might be a decent enough DAC but it will be at the mercy of the noise and crud that will be all over the power rails and ground. USB dac can suffer from the same problem if it’s powered and probably not isolated from the usb ground and 5V.  
    tFB Trader
    Might be a decent enough DAC but it will be at the mercy of the noise and crud that will be all over the power rails and ground. USB dac can suffer from the same problem if it’s powered and probably not isolated from the usb ground and 5V.  

This is very true.

Apple are generally fairly good in that regard, but I'd imagine your average Acer will be terrible regardless of what's in it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    @Monquixote a DAC, however good it's name is, is not the same as a lightbulb.  Most DACs use the same or similar chips, it is how they are programmed that is the difference.  I would expect that DACs for computer installation use very basic programs.  And as has been stated: the amount of noise and crud from adjoining circuitry does not help.

To be fair, the built in DAC and headphone output combination into an old hi-fi amp plus speakers is good enough for replay of online videos etc.  Simply add an external DAC with USB into that same amp/speakers combination and you will hear a significant improvement in sound.  The headphone output will get you started though.....  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum