Replacement TV - OLED LG C8 or C9? advise please

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11878
we have a 4.5 year old LG 70 inch HD
I have always been annoyed at the noise reduction and textures, we had plasmas previously
Fortunately it's just stopped working, inside the 5 year warranty, so I get a £2k refund

looking around it seems that OLED is much better, but £4k+ for 70+ inch screens
However, there are 65 inch ones in my range

My favourites are:

LG OLED65C8PLA  for £1800 from richer sounds

LG OLED65C9PLA  for £2400 from Costco, I think I get £48 cashback

Both 5 or 6 year warranties

C9 is the 2019 version, C8 the 2018
C9 brings in faster processor, other features and HDMI 2.1 

Anyone have any expertise in these?
Is it worth getting the newer one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited July 2019
    I'm constantly amazed at Richer Sounds customer focus....just a much more refreshing retail experience (assuming you get the right staff of course...it's all about the people)......can't they / won't they get you a C9? 

OLED is stunning.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11878
    SRich said:
    I'm constantly amazed at Richer Sounds customer focus....just a much more refreshing retail experience (assuming you get the right staff of course...it's all about the people)......can't they / won't they get you a C9? 
    it's £400 more there, plus the cashback I get from costco
    Agree on RS customer focus, used them since the 1980s!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22697
    This is giving me 4K OLED gas....

But I rarely get anything new (guitars excepted) until the old one breaks, and my Panasonic plasma is still OK. 
    Philly_Q said:
    This is giving me 4K OLED gas....

But I rarely get anything new (guitars excepted) until the old one breaks, and my Panasonic plasma is still OK. 
    When our current TV failed, I had no idea when I got it
    I was so pleased to find November 2014 with a 5 year warranty

• wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I've got the 55" C7 and I love it.

Have a trawl of the in depth review sites like https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled
    to help make up your mind (or confuse you even more!)

This guy is highly regarded for his deep dive tech review of tv's (and his dry sense of humour) especially by Reddit subs like r/OLED etc...

C8 review

C9 review

It's a rabbit hole - sometimes some ignorance is a good thing!

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    ToneControl said: it's £400 more there, plus the cashback I get from costco
    Ouch....I didn't check if they stocked it before I replied to your post. Haven't I seen mention to price matching assuming there's a RS branch within 50 miles of the lower cost source?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    edited July 2019
    SRich said:
    ToneControl said: it's £400 more there, plus the cashback I get from costco
    Ouch....I didn't check if they stocked it before I replied to your post. Haven't I seen mention to price matching assuming there's a RS branch within 50 miles of the lower cost source?
    they are both close, but why bother? I suppose they have a 6 year warranty. I'd have it delivered
    Hard to explain my 2% cashback at costco though
    need to get a UHD bluray player too
    edited July 2019
    If I ever move up to a 4K TV I'll do the same, although I wonder if physical media will have died out by then....

I'll need a multi-region player, no idea where to get hold of one.  My Blu-ray player is a multi-region Oppo, but they've stopped making players - I only realised when they sponsored the Cricket World Cup and I thought let's have a look and see what they're up to. 

Philly_Q said:
    If I ever move up to a 4K TV I'll do the same, although I wonder if physical media will have died out by then....

I'll need a multi-region player, no idea where to get hold of one.  My Blu-ray player is a multi-region Oppo, but they've stopped making players - I only realised when they sponsored the Cricket World Cup and I thought let's have a look and see what they're up to. 

actually, looking at the prices of discs today, I can't see me buying any soon
     I might get a plain bluray player for now ~£50 rather than a UHD one at £110-£200+
    OK, I bought the LG OLED65C9PLA ,  from richer sounds, who even price matched the cashback
    got a matching UHD Dolbyvision 
    Lg UBK90 player
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2019
    I'd hold on a bit, if you enter the OLED game now you are going to be paying peak prices. I'm interested, but I'd rather wait until they become the new normal (not long in the TV world). The technology based companies always sting the mugs early adopters 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    Tv’s need valves/tubes... proper old school.. Surely that’s better than modern OLED rubbish  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    I'd hold on a bit, if you enter the OLED game now you are going to be paying peak prices. I'm interested, but I'd rather wait until they become the new normal (not long in the TV world). The technology based companies always sting the mugs early adopters 
    I agreed with the sentiment, but they come to collect the broken TV this week, I get a £2k refund
    OLED started selling in 2010 I think, so not really early adopting here - already ignored OLED when I bought the last TV in 2014, so although prices are falling why would I spent £1k - £1.8k on a non-OLED big TV now if I have the cash? 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2019
    Freebird said:
    I'd hold on a bit, if you enter the OLED game now you are going to be paying peak prices. I'm interested, but I'd rather wait until they become the new normal (not long in the TV world). The technology based companies always sting the mugs early adopters.
    I agreed with the sentiment, but they come to collect the broken TV this week, I get a £2k refund
    OLED started selling in 2010 I think, so not really early adopting here - already ignored OLED when I bought the last TV in 2014, so although prices are falling why would I spent £1k - £1.8k on a non-OLED big TV now if I have the cash? 
    I missed the bit about the refund, in which case you are not spending any money! I on the other hand will be waiting for the next round of price reductions. I like the Sony OLED TV which currently retails for £2,700, which is a bit steep in my opinion.

Enjoy your new TV 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    I'd hold on a bit, if you enter the OLED game now you are going to be paying peak prices. I'm interested, but I'd rather wait until they become the new normal (not long in the TV world). The technology based companies always sting the mugs early adopters.
    I missed the bit about the refund, in which case you are not spending any money! I on the other hand will be waiting for the next round of price reductions. I like the Sony OLED TV which currently retails for £2,700, which is a bit steep in my opinion.

Enjoy your new TV 
    yes, I expected this TV to last a few more years, then do the same
    the backlight has started to not work sometimes, not economical to repair it. Very lucky it happened now and not after November
  • I didn't realise you could get oled tvs! Mine is led, hdr and 4k smart telly, 50", they retail for about £4-500.

Oled, I presume, will allow for more effective dynamic range management but that will largely depend on the software that manages. Look forward to hearing what your beast is like :) 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17564
    tFB Trader
    I've been wanting an oled since they were only available as broadcast monitors for about £20k

I've got an ancient TV with huge bezels just hoping a decent oled hits £1k before it blows up.
    I think OLED TVs have been on the market about 6 years now.  Pretty sure Samsung and LG already had a couple of huge (and hugely-expensive) models available at the time I got my plasma.
    you can get a good LG C8 OLED 65" for £1800 now with 6 year warranty incl