Oh god I hate PCs - I'd forgotten how much

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
 my son's birthday present PC arrived (technically the 2nd one - first one was DOA graphics card - and having got it all set up it too another hour to Google why the refresh rate would not change from 60hz - it then wanted to do a load of Windows updates - which bricked it - it kept trying to recover itself on boot but no, now reinstalling / recovering windows 

FML 

Happy Birthday son! 
Red ones are better. 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    This reinforces my commitment to "Mac for everything else, console for games" approach (after years previously if being all in on PC) 

Keeping the machine working is not a hobby I need 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    What frequency does the monitor run at?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    144 (although none currently it's all dead) 

We did manage to solve that one - and will now have to do so again. 
    Red ones are better. 

Oh great 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26985
    In their defence, PCs are way better for MS Excel. I'm not even being facetious - Excel for Mac is crippled and absolutely does my head in. Thankfully I don't need excel often when at home
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    As. Much as PC’s have got better, I bought desktop for the warehouse last year and as always you find yourself buggering around to get something or other working.

back in the day my PC ’s used to be a hobby upgrading cards drivers etc now I just want a computer to get on with it and me edit,record or whatever my computer is a tool not a hobby.
  • What frequency does the monitor run at?
    yep.

and it has been known for peeps to plug HDMI into the mobo not the dedicated.... just checking
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    TimmyO said:

This. Many-fold !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    I had to use one a couple of weeks ago, I'd forgotten how terrible they are. 

I used to bin them every 3-4 years as they clogged up, but have now spent six happy years using a Mac for recording and a pair of Linux laptops for browsing, with zero maintenance or extra virus protection, with no slowing down or other issues whatsoever. 

So PCs aren't the problem really, Microsoft is.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    yep.

and it has been known for peeps to plug HDMI into the mobo not the dedicated.... just checking
    We were.plugged in to the card -
    Both HDMI and DVI - as I say that got sorted in the end but the whole thing decided to kill itself doing a Windows update after that 
    Red ones are better. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    TimmyO said:
    This reinforces my commitment to "Mac for everything else, console for games" approach (after years previously if being all in on PC) 

Unless you have an issue when a Mac bricks!  I had it when I had to update Safari.  Then when I tried to download the OS from the Mac Store to reinstall, the actual Apple OS was corrupted!  

IMO, all OS's have their pros and cons, and faults across the systems occur.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The reason I switched to Mac ? Whatever audio interface I plugged into it just worked. I no longer needed an hour to reconfigure stuff for recording, just plug in and play . What does infuriate me with Apple is the high price premium and their drive to hang everything off of hubs and cut down on the amount of integral interfaces
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    No rush for me to go back to PC from Mac....Mac at home fine, PC at work horrible

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7784

My PC hasn't caused me much trouble, although now I can't get Firefox updates (because I'm still using Vista) it is beginning to be harder keeping some things working (instagram won't show videos, for example).
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    I'm having to use a Mac for a project and it's driving me mad.
    I say this as a former Mac Fan Boy, but that was 20 years ago.
    I have my PC set up as I want, I know where everything is, I can get to see folder groups quickly to examine what's inside them. Lots of this I can do with my multi button mouse.
    The Mac is just very clunky on these features. Not good when "show all open folders" shrinks them and then you can't read the text. At least I can use my Windows mouse - the Mac mouse is arrogant in its uselessness. But who cares about mouses, it's all trackpads now .. aaargh.

But it's just what we get used to, isn't it?
    Changing to something else is a major readjustment and with every issue taking hours of Googling to sort out, it's no fun.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    On the other have, when I had a Mac Mini for a while, I only booted it up every couple of weeks to record stuff admittedly, but it literally needed updating every single time it came on, which also caused my wireless mouse and keyboard to lose their drivers every single time, which in turn meant that it would take about an hour to get to a usable screen. As I was relatively new to macs I just didn't have the time to learn it as five minute jobs would take an hour plus every single time

Plus two of my three audio interfaces would never work properly.

It's what you like it get used to isn't it ultimately
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    I'm having to use a Mac for a project and it's driving me mad.
    I say this as a former Mac Fan Boy, but that was 20 years ago.
    I have my PC set up as I want, I know where everything is, I can get to see folder groups quickly to examine what's inside them. Lots of this I can do with my multi button mouse.
    The Mac is just very clunky on these features. Not good when "show all open folders" shrinks them and then you can't read the text. At least I can use my Windows mouse - the Mac mouse is arrogant in its uselessness. But who cares about mouses, it's all trackpads now .. aaargh.

But it's just what we get used to, isn't it?
    Changing to something else is a major readjustment and with every issue taking hours of Googling to sort out, it's no fun.
    Yeah from.whqtbive heard folder manipulation in Mac OS has always been poor by default and folk end up having to use a paid utility to replicate anything as useful 

And I think the only people who say the Mac mouse is good have Stockholm syndrome 

But apart from that .... lol 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I do all the electronic repairs for a local PC shop ...DC sockets, LVDS connectors, USB ports etc. The revenue earned  from all this though is nothing compared to the money made from Win 10 updates failing, getting stuck in a boot loop and requiring a reload with data saved. This process cost £120 a time and is a constant source of income. With support for Win 7 ending in January this is only going to get better as everyone has top migrate to 10

So thank you Microsoft for having such a cruddy OS ... long may it continue :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    In their defence, PCs are way better for MS Excel. I'm not even being facetious - Excel for Mac is crippled and absolutely does my head in. Thankfully I don't need excel often when at home
    This.

Most of my day is in Excel. PC at my desk, but when I needed a laptop the only thing that would give a genuine 8 hours from a charge was a Macbook Air.

When it dies I'm going back to Win10 purely for excel reasons.
    edited July 2019
    This.

Most of my day is in Excel. PC at my desk, but when I needed a laptop the only thing that would give a genuine 8 hours from a charge was a Macbook Air.

When it dies I'm going back to Win10 purely for excel reasons.
    I use Parallels to run actual windows in the Mac for the very few times I need a Windows client for something 
    Red ones are better.