Advice on small multiFX floor unit

What's Hot
oktorocktooktorockto Frets: 86
Trying to sort some effects for a new band where I want minimal pedals. I don't want to go the whole Fractal/Helix route and something like the Boss GT series is a bit large. I would also prefer to get something 2nd hand. I have a few pedals I will want to use, my own Wah and volume pedal, a looping pedal and a freeze pedal (unless the multiFX has some sort of freeze function). So preferably I am looking at something about half the size of a GT100. I don't want to use the preamp in the multi FX but I suppose some decent overdrives/distortions are a plus. In the main I just want ti for effects like chorus, flanging, rotary speaker/univibe, tremolo, vibrato, decent reverbs, delays (preferably with some analog sounding ones). I would also like something that has accessible real time editing via knobs for at least a couple of parameters - perhaps a built in expression pedal. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oktorocktooktorockto Frets: 86
    Actually -  the Boss GT-1 looks like it could fit the bill and I could even ditch my looper or use it strictly for vocal looping. 
    Hmm - only downside of the GT1 is no MIDI I/O. That's another 'like' on my list of features.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    HX Somp sounds ideal, maybe a bit more than you were hoping to pay, but it really is brilliant
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TC Nova System. Still sounds great and can be picked up for around £150 secondhand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    The HX Stomp is a phenomenal bit of kit...
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Line 6 M9
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Zoom G3X or G3Xn
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited July 2019
    DiscoStu said:
    Zoom G3X or G3Xn
    Or Zoom G5. More effects (123 v 94 G3) much larger memory, 297 patches all fully programmable (G3 has100 user and 100 factory) and up to 9 fx at once rather than 6 with the G3. Plus it has z pedal and tube boost that G3 doesn't have. 

Avoid the G3n or G5n. Better foot switching, but very memory hungry and not as flexible e.g. looper, boost, drums take up a memory slot and amps take two slots plus one for cabs. In G3 or G5 the amp and cab is one slot and drums, boost and looper are global. In short, the 'n' were a backward move. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Had a good look at all those options:

HX Stomp - lots of money, I don't need the modelling. May be the perfect thing and will have to investigate. No spillover between patches.

Line 6 M9 - bit limited on the amounts of effects. I would truly go for the M13 but still only 4. I suppose I could add a delay pedal afterwards but kind of defeats the object. 

Zoom G3X looks just the ticket, especially with the mods available to allow easy patch changing and to connect an expression and tap tempo switch at the same time. But it doesn't do delay/reverb spillover or delay feedback. I especially like the expression pedal switch for the wah's etc. I can't expect something that cheap to do everything. G5 great, especially the Z pedal but same thing with revs and delays.

TC Nova looks very good and it might have to be that one - shame there is a delay between patch changing without the three button switch (which means no expression pedal) but with the amount of effects available in one chain and the different routing options I reckon I can just do what I need by changing patches between songs and turning individual effects on and off. 

I would get an old Boss GT10 but it is a bit wide - is still need to add a couple of pedals.

I like some of the built in loopers from above but feel they then limit what you can do with the effects when you are using them.

Thanks again for giving me some great ideas and more headaches! Probably OCDing it (over complication disease).

• JotaJota Frets: 463
    Boss MS-3 would be my choice.
    Only sold mine because I needed amp/cab sim so I got the HX Stomp.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653

I would also vouch for the Stomp. I use mine either completely on it's own with the overdrive/distortion blocks as my main drive, then delays etc, or I sometimes just run my OD pedals in front of it on my board.

I have even done gigs with JUST the Stomp, as the overdrives/amp blocks sound so good.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    Depending on just how many effects you need to change at once you may find that the Stomp's "snapshot" feature does all the spillover you'd need. It's really very powerful. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited July 2019
    Trying to sort some effects for a new band where I want minimal pedals. I don't want to go the whole Fractal/Helix route and something like the Boss GT series is a bit large. I would also prefer to get something 2nd hand. I have a few pedals I will want to use, my own Wah and volume pedal, a looping pedal and a freeze pedal (unless the multiFX has some sort of freeze function). So preferably I am looking at something about half the size of a GT100. I don't want to use the preamp in the multi FX but I suppose some decent overdrives/distortions are a plus. In the main I just want ti for effects like chorus, flanging, rotary speaker/univibe, tremolo, vibrato, decent reverbs, delays (preferably with some analog sounding ones). I would also like something that has accessible real time editing via knobs for at least a couple of parameters - perhaps a built in expression pedal. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    A bit left field and won't do everything you mention but ...

Have you considered the Mooer Ocean Machine - 2 delays plus reverb (16 varieties of each) plus looper, can be assigned in any order (on the fly), lots of tweakability (on the fly), spillover, freeze/hold on all delays/reverbs, assignable expression pedal input (on the fly), great sounds and not too big. Combined with something like one of the Zoom single stomp sized multi-fx (MS-somethingorother?) that would seem to cover all your bases in a pretty small footprint.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Helix HX/FX, these do pop up for between £250-£275 s/h
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    edited July 2019
    The Nova System is good but it doesn't do 4 cable which I found was a major drawback.

I'd go HX Stomp if you can run to it as it's small and will do everything you need. Other options might be the Nux Cerberus or the Mooer Red/Black Truck.
  • Just to update, I bought a Helix FX from @BusheySi ; and am extremely happy with it. Very powerful - some sounds could be better, could do with more in-depth parameter guide etc. but it is very user-friendly which I find the most important thing. Its implementation and layout remind me of some of the higher end digital mixing consoles I have used such as Digico.
  • Eventide H9 sounds perfect for this ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I love the fact I can go from presets with the HX FX to just having the six switches as individual pedals.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited November 2019
     Very happy with my MS3. Very small, a ton of function and very expandable (just realised I am a bit behind on this! )
  • Ms3 if you don’t need amp sims.