MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2010 MagSafe 1 Power cord frayed - options?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
The cord on this MagSafe 1 power adapter frayed at the weak point some time ago so I covered it with electrical tape. I took the tape off to check on it and the sleeve seems to have perished and looks a bit dodgy:

pc

I've covered it up with more tape, but I don't trust it for much longer.

A new one costs £79 from Apple so seems a lot for one cable failure.

Anyone tried 3rd party adapters? Or anyone got an old adapter for sale?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    The quality of the sleeve material on some of those L-plug Mk1's is awful.. the older straight-plug Mk1's were much hardier. Mine went the same way, but I got lucky with a wanted ad on a local forum just a few months ago. Paid £30 for a minter, but probably worth it... many stories about dodgy wiring and/or danger on the 3rd party ones. There's a vid somewhere showing their shonky internals. I'd say a used original is worth hunting out (the marks of a genuine one: light doesn't come on for a second after plugging in, since the Mac checks it and actually switches it on, and System Profiler shows the serial number, wattage etc).

Hopefully someone here can help out...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    You're going through the kit at a rate of knots lately  

The disintegration of the outer magsafe cable is fairly well known, sadly.
     Insulating tape as a fix deteriorates quickly & leaves a sticky residue, so the answer is to use heat shrink sleeve tubing.
    I think 3:1 ratio, 9 mm heatshrink tubing is suggested, as you need to get it over the magsafe end which is the widest point, then get it down to grip the cable. It will be stiffer than the original cable & could be a minor nuisance.

SUGRU apparently works well for small areas at points of strain, but I can't see it being good for longer runs.

I'm afraid the only PS's that I currently have spare are the pre magsafe co-ax mini jack type, sorry about that   :/

I haven't tried non Apple PS's, but they aren't ever licensed, so not a good idea.
     Second hand will be OK but eventually could suffer the same fate.

The mag safe cables from earlier & later MacBooks work fine (I'm using a second gen. one) but the later versions used a slightly smaller connector. Having said that, you can buy an adaptor to enlarge the head, so essentially you can use any version that supplies the right voltage/amps or better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    ^ A fair price for the 85W one. I might even get one as a spare  ;) :)
    Cheers :+1: 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    edited July 2019

I put Sugru on mine and it has lasted years, still works and is a 2012 MBP.

Wrap a bit a around the frayed wire and let it set. Mine was worse than yours in the pic.

https://sugru.com

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Have you tried taking it to an Apple store? If you get them in a good mood they'll just give you a new one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Have you tried taking it to an Apple store? If you get them in a good mood they'll just give you a new one.
    Hmmm...sounds like a good idea but the nearest Apple store is quite some way away.

I was thinking of following @Kittyfrisk 's advice and getting some large heatshrink tubing. But the replacement I linked to above seems reasonable and would also act as a spare for a couple of other Macs in the house.
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    I've used Sugru in the past. It was recommended by an apple guy and I must say it has prevented damaged leads for me.
    If it still works it might be worth trying to prevent further damage?
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I had the same problem. Bought a legit Apple one off eBay for about £40. Seemed reasonable. 
    I've just bought the one I linked to earlier.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ive just replaced the power supply on my 2015 MacBook due to the cord falling apart.  it does seem to be a weak point.  I've gone with a 3rd party supplier and it works fine, though runs a bit hot.

edited July 2019
    ^ I really can't condone the high prices Apple charge, but their chargers are definitely a cut above 3rd party.
    I genuinely hope that you are OK with your purchase, but my PS runs continuously & isn't even slightly warm..
    https://lifehacker.com/dont-replace-your-macbook-charger-with-a-cheap-knockoff-1825605569
    YMMV.