Acoustic preamp problem

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
edited July 2019 in Guitar
 I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Faith Neptune Trembessi which has the below preamp.

The guitar has been playing up recently whereby when plugged in, the sound keeps cutting in and out. I tried various things like different cables, batteries etc but tonight I worked it out. The circled button "EQ-S" seems to be the culprit. If I slightly touch it, the sound cuts out. Pressing it in or out doesn't make a difference. 

(To be honest I've never quite put my finger on what the button does) Does anyone have any idea what could be the solution to this? Could it be an easy fix or would it need taking to a luthier?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Anyone able to offer any advice?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Given that the pre-amp has dedicated Treble and Bass controls, the likeliest explanation for the EQ-S is a feedback cancelling notch filter.

If the guitar warranty has expired, your first move should be to unscrew to the pre-amp panel. Lift it out carefully. Inspect the underside for loose connections, dry solder joints or corrosion.

Spray Servisol electro-lubricant into the EQ-S contacts. Repeatedly depress and release the button to ensure that the cleaning is effective.

Plug in. Test the controls. If everything works, screw the control panel back into place.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Given that the pre-amp has dedicated Treble and Bass controls, the likeliest explanation for the EQ-S is a feedback cancelling notch filter.

If the guitar warranty has expired, your first move should be to unscrew to the pre-amp panel. Lift it out carefully. Inspect the underside for loose connections, dry solder joints or corrosion.

Spray Servisol electro-lubricant into the EQ-S contacts. Repeatedly depress and release the button to ensure that the cleaning is effective.

Plug in. Test the controls. If everything works, screw the control panel back into place.

Thanks. I shall give that a try and get some Servisol