Can we put this to bed now?

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
Just a minor point, but one which crops up in thread after thread where a public figure comes in for any kind of criticism, ie, some of us are NOT morbidly avaricious, bizarre as this may seem to some of the "career" types on here. 

I know some you don't and will never get it, but a few of us actually like our lives, we have family, good friends, live in a relaxed place on very little money and it's GOOD.

If we think Joe Bonamassa is a lovely guy but a bit over-exposed, or that Jacob Rees-Mogg is a prick it's NOT because we are jealous.

I genuinely and wholeheartedly would not swap my life theirs, so less it with the "chip on the shoulder" bollocks.

Thank you, that is all. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 37reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7097
    +1 on the rees mogg
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18652
    p90fool said:
    Just a minor point, but one which crops up in thread after thread where a public figure comes in for any kind of criticism, ie, some of us are NOT morbidly avaricious, bizarre as this may seem to some of the "career" types on here. 

I know some you you don't and will never get it, but a few of us actually like our lives, we have family, good friends, live in a relaxed place on very little money and it's GOOD.

If we think Joe Bonamassa is a lovely guy but a bit over-exposed, or that Jacob Rees-Mogg is a prick it's NOT because we are jealous.

I genuinely and wholeheartedly would not swap my life theirs, so less it with the "chip on the shoulder bollocks".

Thank you, that is all. 

Agreed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    Why else would you think Jacob Rees-Mogg is a pr1ck?
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    boooooom... have a wisdom!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    p90fool said:
    Just a minor point, 
    Actually it’s a major point for the moderation team. We don’t allow personal abuse of forum members. We also don’t allow personal abuse of public figures, and of the general public, who have no capability to reply.

Before anyone decides to imply bias in this matter let me say that I have been on both sides of this particular “avaricious career” fence.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    imagine if joe and rees mogg had a love child, it'd be an over exposed prick.

which reminds me, must call my lawyer. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    @Roland I totally get that, I really do, but the incessant implication that if we're not keen on an artist's new album we must be jealous, or if we disagree with a politician's priorities we have a "chip on the shoulder" because we weren't born millionaires gets really tedious. 

I like my life, have straddled the incessant touring/too many guitars fence and after weighing my life down with pointless crap in the past have literally no desire to live in a mansion, have "nanny issues" or wear a monocle. 

Not caring about or wanting those things does not make me bitter, unsuccessful or automatically some kind of loser. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Duuhh Op Is ClEaRlY jUsT jEaLoUs

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Christ!
    I've never heard of anyone more jealous of Bonamassa and Rees Mogg in my whole life.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm waiting for the Bonamassa Monocle to pop up on his online shop and the Rees Mogg Ray Bans on his.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11878
    ah, I see. So calling someone an "overprivileged, frankly sinister cunt" does not, after all imply any jealousy
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    ah, I see. So calling someone an "overprivileged, frankly sinister cunt" does not, after all imply any jealousy
    That right, it doesn't, it implies I think he's out of touch with ordinary peoples lives, not that I want HIS life. 

That's exactly what I mean about projecting your own avarice onto others, you simply cannot grasp that I don't share it and don't aspire to it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    No, because “overprivileged” doesnt mean someone who is “better” than someone else, it means someone blindly lauds their own abilities/skills/opinions (usually opinions) over others without any consideration of whether that is appropriate. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    FWIW I am currently undergoing a bit of “corporate career” thing and fully agree with the OP.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    totally with @p90fool on this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    its a convenient way to get people to minimise criticism
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
    "overprivileged, frankly sinister cunt"
    If we can't call Rees-Mogg that, what's the point in being alive?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    @stickyfiddle I'm in no way criticising that, I spent many years on the managerial ladder myself, and if it weren't for unrelated personal circumstances which effectively diverted me from it I'd still be there.

I did however, feel more and more hollow the more "things" I owned, and have never been particularly acquisitional since circumstances broke the habit for me. 

The sheer release of having fewer and simpler things is the reason for the OP, and the mild rant about jealousy is because it honestly couldn't be further from the truth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    This sentence says more about your jealousy.

I know one thing, I'm not jealous of odious, self serving greedy, detached, dispassionate people like Rees Mogg no matter how rich, posh or "intelligent" you find him. There are far better people in the world that I respect. It doesn't all come down to money with everyone.
    And I wouldn't wanna look like him, that's for sure.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395
    I don't actually know who the Ree's Mogg guy is .... I know I could google it but I can't be bothered.

I know who Jo Bo is, seen him live but don't remember much about it. 

@p90fool ;

I'm very much a man in your camp. I wouldn't trade my life with anyone else's ... it's one of the reasons I don't do the lottery 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom