Buying a car III

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537
I ordered a car on the computer. Then some time passed and last Friday a man from Bolton drove it down and parked it outside my house in Middlesex. Hope it’s not too soon, but still claiming my NCD.

https://i.imgur.com/ECFLlAu.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    edited July 2019
    Very nice. 276PS version? (Just guessing based on the wing mirrors). If so I bet it's faster than the official 0-60 time suggests (my GTD gets to 60 in 6.7s, well under the official 7.4s)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Ha not a chance. I’m long over powerful engines in today’s driving conditions. 1.5TSI, my first petrol for a few cars and it’s a peach.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    Nice, I've always loved VWs.  Even my 1986 golf which went through three head gaskets and a new engine didn't put me off!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    How did the man get back to Bolton - did you give him a lift?  :3

• Nice looking cars, I test drove one before I bought my Superb.  I almost got the 1.5tsi on that  but it just sounds so under powered - even though it clearly isn’t and even the dealers told me it isn’t!  I ended up with 280bhp Superb primarily because I had 15yrs in 2.0l diesels and wanted to swing loose for a while. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Dan,

They've forgot to put the number plates on... I'd get Emp Fab on the case...

Congrats mate !!
    Nice looking cars, I test drove one before I bought my Superb.  I almost got the 1.5tsi on that  but it just sounds so under powered - even though it clearly isn’t and even the dealers told me it isn’t!  I ended up with 280bhp Superb primarily because I had 15yrs in 2.0l diesels and wanted to swing loose for a while. 
    Really wasn’t convinced by the 1.5 on paper but test drove it and it’s fab. Don’t get me wrong it wouldn’t win many drag races but for day to day and motorway cruising it’s brilliant. I come from a 2ltr diesel and a Golf GTD before that and I’m so pleased to leave tractor engines behind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    I just bought a Kodiaq (aka mini bus) in the 1.5TSI. It’s not particularly quick or super fun to drive. But it’s a massive car and the 1.5 gives a surprising amount of kick if you drop the DSG into sport and put your foot down. Certainly enough to overtake. 

Was an absolute dream driving home on the motorway last night. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    dindude said:
    I ordered a car on the computer. Then some time passed and last Friday a man from Bolton drove it down and parked it outside my house in Middlesex. Hope it’s not too soon, but still claiming my NCD.

what model is that? 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited July 2019
    TimmyO said:
    dindude said:

what model is that? 

VW Arteon. It replaced the CC in their lineup, and effectively is the same as an A5 sportback (though more striking looking IMO)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11859
    It's like a car from Tron.
    They’re really great looking cars. Every time I see one it turns my head. Looks really luxurious. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27425
    Nitefly said:
    How did the man get back to Bolton
    Have you ever known anyone - who's escaped from Bolton - willingly go back???

strtdv said:

VW Arteon. It replaced the CC in their lineup, and effectively is the same as an A5 sportback (though more striking looking IMO)
    And a whole lot better because it's not an A5.  (IMHO, and written by someone who only bought Audis for 20years!)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What’s surprised me most, coming from a latest generation Passat, is how much nicer it feels - honestly thought it would feel much the same but just better looking, and whilst the interior is basically a Passat, everything about it seems a notch or two up, the hi if, the touchscreen, digital dials, refinement, handling etc etc. It’s a great car considering I have a wife and two very young kids (plus paraphernalia) to cart around - boot space is 2L less than an Audi A6 Avant!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    What’s surprised me most, coming from a latest generation Passat, is how much nicer it feels - honestly thought it would feel much the same but just better looking, and whilst the interior is basically a Passat, everything about it seems a notch or two up, the hi if, the touchscreen, digital dials, refinement, handling etc etc. It’s a great car considering I have a wife and two very young kids (plus paraphernalia) to cart around - boot space is 2L less than an Audi A6 Avant!
    We’ve just taken delivery of a Skoda Kodiaq. It’s ‘only’ the SE L model, so one up from their entry level, and although it has some plastic trim bits, it feels like a much more luxurious car. The state of the art digital cockpit, leather finished bits and fancy touchscreen nav system. 

When we looked at passats and compared to Superbs we were surprised how much nicer the superb interior was. The Passat really didn’t impress me at all. 
  • Isn’t SEL quite high on the spec levels? It used to be second only to L & K ? 
    Isn’t SEL quite high on the spec levels? It used to be second only to L & K ? 
    Not on the Kodiaq, I don’t think. In terms of their current pecking order it’s above the SE (which is lowest on the Kodiaq I believe) and below the Edition, Scout and L&K. 

But its got some great features and the optional extras this one happened to come with (full leather, digi cockpit, adaptive CC and a few other bits) were a nice bonus. 

But as standard it has things like heated seats, electric mirrors, keyless entry, electric tailgate, parking sensors and the infotainment system is seriously impressive (but I have had Lexus and Nissan systems previously, which are absolutely terrible and massively outdated). Apple CarPlay is an absolute revelation! 
  • I have Apple Car Play on the Superb L&K with Google Maps running in satellite view the screen looks really good. I guess it would the same Columbus system. 
    I have Apple Car Play on the Superb L&K with Google Maps running in satellite view the screen looks really good. I guess it would the same Columbus system. 
    Yea, I didn't do any route guidance or anything, but had a quick play around with CarPlay and Google Maps/Waze. Works and looks really good. I'm super impressed with the Columbus system so far too.
    As I've said, the ICE in Lexus' are famously outdated. The newer "premium nav" systems they seem to be putting into most cars as standard now is better, but still mostly terrible compared to the state of the art systems that most manufacturers use now. The columbus is like something from the future compared to what I've been using! :D 

I guess Lexus make up for it in the refinement of the rest of the car, but I'm already happier with a larger, more functional (and cheaper) 'workhorse' like car in the Skoda, which has better conveniences for day to day. the Infotainment bits are crucial nowadays for ease of driving long journeys as most in-built sat nav systems don't have live traffic and the like. 

As far as I know any of the VW/Skodas that have the updated entertainment system come with Android Auto/Apple Carplay as standard.

I see an Arteon shooting brake is on the cards too which would be tempting, although because they'll sell so few in the spec I'm interested in (280PS petrol) it'll be hard to get a nearly new one if the fancy takes me.