Found this weightlifting website- gives an indication of performance

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
in Off Topic tFB Trader
As per the title i found this really useful website that calculates your strength and ranks you in terms of performance against other people. pretty useful i think for those who are into lifting.

https://strengthlevel.com

Anyway, Im just getting back into fitness having had a torrid time when i herniated two discs in my back...... blimey its hard now I'm not 18 years old.

Anyone else into lifting/fitness etc?

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    What type of lifting are you doing, I loved doing weights, particularly leg workouts, squats etc, but my lower back is stuffed now so am limited to what I can do.
    Hardest part is building it up slowly so you don't injure yourself

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    Thats a cool site, bookmarked
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    What type of lifting are you doing, I loved doing weights, particularly leg workouts, squats etc, but my lower back is stuffed now so am limited to what I can do.
    Hardest part is building it up slowly so you don't injure yourself

I'm in the process of building up again... but im already back to lifting very heavy , which has pleased me no end. I've entered the 1000lb club with my combined deadlift, squat and bench press. However........ i have paid for a personal trainer to beast me so we mix the heavy lifts in with supersets, high reps, high intensity to burn fat as well...... so far so good, it seems to be both good for the body and is knackering.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I lift fairly light with higher reps, but recently found the TRX resistance training in the gym which is addictive..
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    It’s probably not a bad indicator of which movements a person is strong or weak in relation to their other figures.

made me laugh that one of my friends world record lift at masters age was classed at 95% as strong as other people of his age though. Sending him the screenshot later
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    I'm undergoing a passive weight training regime.

A longer cigarette and a heavier mug.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    It’s probably not a bad indicator of which movements a person is strong or weak in relation to their other figures.

made me laugh that one of my friends world record lift at masters age was classed at 95% as strong as other people of his age though. Sending him the screenshot later
    Yeah I imagine some people put inflated figures in too, so maybe not a perfect tool but a good indicator. What did your friend lift?
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    edited July 2019
    So I am squating (smith machine) 90kgs. I warm up with 10 reps of, 60kg, 70kgs and 80 kgs and end up with 3 sets of 5 reps of 90kgs. According to this site I am stronger than 35% of lifters my age and weight. I must say I'm disappointed.

Edit: I must ad that I'm 46, started working out 2 years ago and have a weak lower back. :-)
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • Gassage said:

Push yourself. 

A pipe will really stretch you, and make sure that mug is stoneware. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Thanks @ThorpyFX for sharing that website - it's a little gem. As a retired rugby player, I have always had an interest in fitness, and used to weight train four times a week in the off season when I was still playing. I now train once per week, and do a mixture of cardio, weights, planks, and stretches. I usually do 3 sets of 12 / 10 / 8 reps, to get a balance of strength and fat burning. Having had 3 knee operations, I need to be careful not to overdo it as I also must walk the dog for an hour each evening, and two hours at the weekend. I would like to fit another gym session in, but am struggling for time at the moment. I also used to do a lot of rowing on the concept rowing machines when I was younger. There was a similar website for that where you could compare your times for 2,000M etc. At 6'-4" I was quite good at that. Good luck with your 1,000lb challenge.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    fnpt said:
    So I am squating (smith machine) 90kgs. I warm up with 10 reps of, 60kg, 70kgs and 80 kgs and end up with 3 sets of 5 reps of 90kgs. According to this site I am stronger than 35% of lifters my age and weight. I must say I'm disappointed.

Edit: I must ad that I'm 46, started working out 2 years ago and have a weak lower back. :-)
    In all fairness, people into lifting are probably quite intense about it so the levels will be high. You would be better comparing yourself to the general publics average level of lifting ability, where you will probably be really high up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • By the looks of that website it appears the averages are based on people's self-reported PB's? Given people's propensity on the internet for willy-waving, ego-boosting exaggeration, you can probably deduct about 20% from those reported averages! ;)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I'm into fitness, but not really lifting.  Seems I have reasonably strong legs but not so great upper body.  But when in the gym I dont feel like I have particularly light weights.  The figures are probably for people who class themselves as body builders rather than general fitness.

Personally for me getting into too heavy weights is counter productive though, I play football and might go back to boxing and big weights can slow you down.  Plus most people I know who love a good deadlift end up with fucked backs as well, so it's something I avoid myself.  Trap bar lifts on moderate rate and things like high rep slam ball / kettlebell exercises are great.
    Boxing training was good, never heavy weights, but high fast reps, ropes, medicine ball exercises.  Some deadlifting but only 90kg, but again usually the trap bar.  After a minute on those circuits then a 5k run, then sparring, that's a great high intensity workout.

There are so many benefits to lifting weights and I can see why people get into it but heavy weights shouldn't be all you do.
    I say this mainly to justify my weakness of course ;)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    I started at the gym 8 weeks ago. I'd never been to the gym before and now have two personal trainer sessions a week.

According to that website i'm a beginner - which seems fair.

I'm doing 12-15 reps of each weight exercise i do and really enjoying it. The results are also noticable. I've sorted my diet so lost weight and i look a bit more toned already.

I should have joined years ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    Gassage said:

IMO, don't take on too much too soon. 

I'd recommend going for slim cigarettes and start with skimmed milk, before moving onto semi skimmed than full fat. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Looks like I'm better than everyone else my age and weight class. Especially at putting in imaginary figures. 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Can't squat or deadlift as knee arthritis. Had to stop running this year for the same reason.  Usually get an hours cardio in on a stair/elliptical. Always done weights 3 times a weight can bench 100Kg on a bar. Can rep 42Kg dumbbells at 11 stone 12.  The last year I have really increased my dip and pull up abilities.  Can do 22 pull ups, 10 with 20kg.  45 dips, 12 with 20kg.  However its a myth that you radically alter your muscle mass (% maybe as you lose your fat!)

Be careful with back exercises they always seem to end in disc disasters!
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    ThorpyFX said:

Yeah I imagine some people put inflated figures in too, so maybe not a perfect tool but a good indicator. What did your friend lift?
    160kg clean and jerk
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:

160kg clean and jerk
    That’s a tough lift! 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    axisus said:
    fnpt said:

In all fairness, people into lifting are probably quite intense about it so the levels will be high. You would be better comparing yourself to the general publics average level of lifting ability, where you will probably be really high up. 

I entered some figures and was quite disappointed, but when you put it into perspective like you have it makes it a bit better.

I'm certainly not competitive, only against myself, but it is nice to think that the effort you are putting in is worth it!