Gah - acoustic ding!!

What's Hot
Friend was round tonight and I picked up my Larrivee (and yes, I was playing my Avalon!) but banged it against the corner of the desk... sore one... really hurts me :( :( 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Urgh...That makes me worry about my Guild.

I don't like knocking my electrics, but for some reason bumping an acoustic is ten times worse (IMO). 
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    edited July 2019
    How bad is it? 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    It's actually two small dents in the lower bout toward the heel. Just really annoying. I intend to keep it but so annoying. 

Always used to put guitars in their cases but a total pain to put in and take out so I have a rack now. Just knocked the very corner of the desk, careless!! 
  • Been there. It's basically firewood now. Best get a new one :sad:
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4773
    It's actually two small dents in the lower bout toward the heel. Just really annoying. I intend to keep it but so annoying. 

Always used to put guitars in their cases but a total pain to put in and take out so I have a rack now. Just knocked the very corner of the desk, careless!! 
    The dings make it yours. (Or, at least, that's what I say to myself whenever I get the first one in my pristine new guitar...)

Just a word about my own tale of woe. I used to leave my L'Arrivee L-01 out on a stand because I played it more than anything else at home.  After a fairly warm and slightly humid summer (2012, London) I found the action had risen to the point of being unplayable - bellied top. It's been fixed without needing to reset the neck, just nut and bridge work, but it's never sounded the same. 

Solid top acoustics now live in their cases. And I'm very sorry...  :s
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12344

The dings make it yours. (Or, at least, that's what I say to myself whenever I get the first one in my pristine new guitar...)

Just a word about my own tale of woe. I used to leave my L'Arrivee L-01 out on a stand because I played it more than anything else at home.  After a fairly warm and slightly humid summer (2012, London) I found the action had risen to the point of being unplayable - bellied top. It's been fixed without needing to reset the neck, just nut and bridge work, but it's never sounded the same. 

Solid top acoustics now live in their cases. And I'm very sorry...  :s
    I've been thinking about this, I have recently picked up a guild all solid acoustic which is on a wall hanger in the lounge.  Luckily the lounge is north facing and is about the coolest room in the house but I'm right on the south coast and one of the warmest places in the UK.

Is it okay on the wall hanger?
    munckee said:
    <snip>

I've been thinking about this, I have recently picked up a guild all solid acoustic which is on a wall hanger in the lounge.  Luckily the lounge is north facing and is about the coolest room in the house but I'm right on the south coast and one of the warmest places in the UK.

Is it okay on the wall hanger?
    Dunno, mate. I'm just down the coast from you in Christchurch these days and I'm not prepared to risk a second one. 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Been there sadly. My Breedlove which has sentimenal value got two dings in it on two separate occasions...it hurts so I feel your pain!! 
    Hmmmmmmm....... 
    I just bought a stand for my Avalon, too..... 
    Maybe I'm best keeping them in their cases with humidipaks!? Hmm.... 
    Hmmmmmmm....... 
    I just bought a stand for my Avalon, too..... 
    Maybe I'm best keeping them in their cases with humidipaks!? Hmm.... 
    A stand is still good for when you're playing/practicing, so it's not a waste. It's somewhere safe to put the guitar when you want to write something down rather than leaning it against a desk and knocking it over. But I put the guitar back in its case when I'm done and don't leave cases anywhere that gets direct sunlight.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938

I keep my Martin on a lowish wall hangar, positioned so I can reach it sitting down on my office chair, the previous D28 I had took a knock as I span round with a Tele in my hand and smashed the headstock into it. The 2nd ding came when I was playing said D28 on the office chair and again span round to grab my mobile phone which was ringing on the desk and I clonked the guitar top into the corner of the desk.

I don't remember how the 3rd one happened and it stopped hutting after that and I grew to love the guitar, dings and all.

The current HD28 is ding free after 12 months with just a few swirl marks on the back where it sits against my body when playing, probably from zips or buttons.

Play through the pain, get another ding or 2 and your all set.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    There are two substances known to man which are indestructible - the headstock of an epiphanies jumbo and the ceiling hanging plastic / glass  lamp shade that it bags into every day I take the guitar from the hanger :)
    Do you guys do that with acoustics only (what about electrics) ? 
    I'm not sure hmmm.... I like having them on the stands now as I can pick up and play so easily and cases clog the room so badly. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    I'm not sure hmmm.... I like having them on the stands now as I can pick up and play so easily and cases clog the room so badly. 
    Acoustics get the dings from general clonks due to the large size, electrics tend to get screwdriver marks where I slip from undoing a cover plate, removing a pickguard or just adjusting intonation.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    Good acoustics live in cases for protection (mostly from fluctuations in humidity). Electrics tend to go back into cases to protect them from feral toddlers but if that wasn't a factor I'd have them out....I've not experienced any impact on electrics of temperature/humidity, only acoustics. Not to say there isn't an effect, I just haven't observed it.
    I'm no expert on this, but what I do is this...

Solid top acoustics - in their cases.
    Electrics - on a rack-style stand. I've got a Ric 330/12 and an ES-175 but their tops are ply, not solid, so they're safe to leave out (I think). The cases are in a cupboard somewhere else. 
    Resonator - on a stand. The top is heavy ply, but mainly the resonator itself, so... 

Nothing lives where direct sunlight can get them. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    RandallFlagg said:
    electrics tend to get screwdriver marks where I slip from undoing a cover plate, removing a pickguard or just adjusting intonation.
    Have you actually kept an electric long enough to know this is true?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Lewy said:
    Good acoustics live in cases for protection (mostly from fluctuations in humidity). Electrics tend to go back into cases to protect them from feral toddlers but if that wasn't a factor I'd have them out....I've not experienced any impact on electrics of temperature/humidity, only acoustics. Not to say there isn't an effect, I just haven't observed it.
    Electrics will drift out of tune and change their action as humidity varies, as the wood in the neck swells or shrinks
    If it gets very dry (i.e. in January in a modern house with the heating on), the fret ends may start to stick out a bit 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I hang all mine on the wall
    Humidity-controlled room, no direct sunlight
    and a lock for when feral kids visit
    Stuff it I've just put mine on the rack (and two separate stands for the acoustics). No direct sun in the room, radiator turned to low.