PayPal and local collection (eBay, reverb)

What's Hot
PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
Do you guys offer that as an option when selling gear (especially with reverb as they don't offer a cash on collection option)?

I'm thinking it's easier for both parties (no cash hoarding) but I'm a bit wary of the potential pitfall as a seller... Would a signed receipt of collection be enough to fend off potential claims down the road?

Ta
Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6626
    I say cash on collection in the listing and say I will refund any paypal payment for collections. It is too fraught with possibility for fuckoverability.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Nope - receipts, photos, videos, even a witness statement from God himself are not enough to fend off possible claims. PayPal ONLY accepts online (recognisable) courier tracking as proof of despatch. 

If they pay by PayPal, it has to be shipped, and if they collect, it has to be cash, zero exceptions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've bought & collected a couple of things where the seller insisted on PayPal even though I was there in their house with cash in my pocket.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    You could offer an in-person bank transfer via phone app. Although some of the luddites in the gear market are suspect of anything that isn't cash or paypal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    soma1975 said:
    I say cash on collection in the listing and say I will refund any paypal payment for collections. It is too fraught with possibility for fuckoverability.

Is Ebay/Reverb cool with that? From what I gather you have to offer paypal or reverb payments, even if it's collection only.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    soma1975 said:

Is Ebay/Reverb cool with that? From what I gather you have to offer paypal or reverb payments, even if it's collection only.
    You can also send the money back and cancel the transaction

Never take paypal without proof of postage
    bbill335 said:
    You could offer an in-person bank transfer via phone app. Although some of the luddites in the gear market are suspect of anything that isn't cash or paypal!
    This is fine too, but awkward when it's not instant... as it can take 'up to two hours' for faster payments, and it's happened to me where the guy was standing around for a loooong time until the payment cleared. 

soma1975 said:

I do offer PayPal, and if they insist on it then I insist on shipping it, even if the fee will be astronomical.

I never do 'collection only' because of that exact reason... 
  • Cash or paypal friends and family/ gift - if it's payment in person.

I did a bank transfer to someone at 7pm at night, in their house. It didn't go through till the next morning.
    Luckily I took screenshots of the payment process, otherwise I would have left with no guitar and down cash!

PayPal via ebay and then collection has a flashing no, but I've done it. But for me it depends on feedback - if someone has 800 feedback and seems genuine, I'll make a call.
    But you could be totally turned over, with the buyer saying item not received by post and you not having any tracking - so totally screwed. 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited July 2019
    This comes up weekly and the sentiment is always cash or bt on collection only. You're left too exposed to being scammed otherwise and it's all risk with no benefit.
  • I've done several collections and in-person deliveries with Reverb. There's a button on their app (on the buyer's account) to confirm receipt/collection. Make sure the buyer clicks this when they collect - it's confirmed immediately on the seller's account. Knowing Paypal, this probably only works with Reverb payments.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the input