Jacob Collier Tiny Desk Concert

What's Hot
digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
Wow...not really my bag but this blew me away...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Yeah, watched this the other day. Really unusual voice. It is all slightly odd, like you not really my thing, but there is no doubting that he is a very talented guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    All head, no balls
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Jacob's a genuine, bonafide once in a generation musical genius but his music (and voice) are Marmite to some. 
    I like most of his stuff, some of which is frankly mind-blowing.
    This Tiny Desk concert is fun to listen to.

Check out that little bass ukulele, the sound and depth of it is astonishing. If I'd not seen it being used I'd swear i was hearing an upright acoustic bass.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Clearly a talent. But not for me, found his voice unbearable. 

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Haven’t watched this yet and only really heard of this guy from YouTube videos where he’s explaining music theory and song structures but he’s one of the first people I’ve ever actually managed to learn theory from. He has a knack for describing complex ideas to idiots like me really easily. 
    How very rock and roll
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    WOW

I loved that. What a fascinating guy. I didn't really find the sound of his voice that challenging (other than the sound doesn't match what you're seeing), but it was the composition, and certainly all the quirky aspects that really captivated me.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I love his music and his talent- he's a modern day Mozart.
    I do find him annoying though, but I'd imagine I'd have found Mozart annoying too.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    It must have done his perfect pitched head in that his bottom string was out of tune on the first song.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Ahhh, it's just clicked that that guy is this guy and suddenly things make more sense. 

Clearly a fantastic musical mind but not the sort of thing I would choose to listen to. Might be better without seeing it at the same time - there's something about the facial expressions in this sort of thing (whatever that means in this context - I honestly don't know how describe it any better - post-jazz-ish?) that always irritates me for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRkgK4jfi6M 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
  • Yeah agree with Sticky, there's something about that kind of musical gurning that always puts me right off. 

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    I think I've always respected what he does but never enjoyed listening to him. That, however, was different - didn't just find it bearable - I loved it. Thought I should buy the album to give him a chance I probably wouldn't have otherwise.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 629
    It is like Aled Jones all over again. I suppose he will be getting a gong soon. Terrifying dress sense.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    From the descriptions I assumed he was one of those idiots who make up vowels like they've been living in the enchanted forest all their lives. I mean half the current crop of singer songwriters can fuck off as far as I'm concerned, they all seem to come from the same town by the sound of them. But it was quite nice, if maybe a little too "nice" for my tastes at the moment.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited August 2019
    Enjoyed that, thanks. I hadn't heard of him prior to this post, and after enjoying the linked content I decided to look him up on youtube, and have to mirror a comment above, in that I didn't enjoy anything else I watched that he's done (still more content to watch though). That set however was very enjoyable, and the guy and the people he surrounds himself with have talent.

At only 24, I think the future ahead is going to be full of some tasty moments from Jacob, and I for one look forward to enjoying them. Thanks for the heads-up.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited August 2019
    At first I thought, "So good music can be written"; but after the second and third track it got a bit tiresome and self-indulgent. No doubt a talented guy, but I don't think I could listen to those tracks again. (The female singer with pink hair was hot, though.)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    My kids absolutely love him especially his cover of All Night Long.

He's unbelievably musically gifted.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    On Jazz FM a few months ago they played to death his version of Lionel Ritchie's All Night Long. I found it overcomplicated and fiddly for the sake of it, even for the music on a jazz station. Put me right off him. 

Like others I also can't get past that voice. It always puts me in mind of Tim Nice but Dim. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited July 2020
    Watch him live. He is amazing. Seeing all those young people listening to and singing along to real musical genius gives me hope. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.