Fill the empty spot on my pedalboard...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
I’ve never felt the need for many pedals, but having just got rid of my MXR Carbon Copy I’m feeling the need to fill the empty space. So, currently there’s just... a Korg Pitchblack tuner, MXR Phase 90, and a Boss BD2, and a vacant slot. I mainly (attempt to) play blues (think three Kings), plus stuff like Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, perhaps a little Springsteen, fairly melodic (often American) type rock.

I’m thinking perhaps a more subtle, more transparent overdrive, or maybe just keep the empty slot, but am completely open to other suggestions. So, let’s hear them.

Thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    HAL9000 said:
    I’ve never felt the need for many pedals, but having just got rid of my MXR Carbon Copy I’m feeling the need to fill the empty space. So, currently there’s just... a Korg Pitchblack tuner, MXR Phase 90, and a Boss BD2, and a vacant slot. I mainly (attempt to) play blues (think three Kings), plus stuff like Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, perhaps a little Springsteen, fairly melodic (often American) type rock.

I’m thinking perhaps a more subtle, more transparent overdrive, or maybe just keep the empty slot, but am completely open to other suggestions. So, let’s hear them.

Thanks.
    Perhaps something like a Timmy would be good.  I pretty much always have a Timmy based drive on (Juansolo Enchanter) .  You can only just tell it's on when you dig in a bit, just takes the base tone from clean, to almost clean and adds a bit more dynamics.  A Marshall Bluesbreaker/POT type might be suitable also.  Or a rocket blue note.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    You could try out a Tubescreamer.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Tremolo of some sort. A nice throbby Fender amp-style thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    You need a Strymon Flint tremolo and reverb, someone had one for sale in the classifieds, now who was it again... : )
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    edited July 2019
    A boost to run into the bd2 so you have a bunch more gain options. 

EDIT: Oh I see what we are doing. A Marvel drive or Ventura Vibe, if they are for sale in the classifieds...
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited July 2019
    What was it that you didn't like about the carbon copy? A Boss digital delay would take you pretty close to dave grohl's setup.

Or maybe try a looper for something different?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    NelsonP said:
    What was it that you didn't like about the carbon copy? A Boss digital delay would take you pretty close to dave grohl's setup.
    Nothing wrong with it. Just wasn't using it, so moved it on. I don't feel any need for a delay on the board these days.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    menamestom said:
    ...a rocket blue note.
    Hadn't heard of Rockett before today but YouTube demos look rather good.
    Tremolo of some sort. A nice throbby Fender amp-style thing.
    Hmmm. Interesting idea.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Is this for home or gig use? If gig then I recommend space for your pint glass.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Maybe the T Rex Fat Shuga...combined boost and reverb.  Still reduced and in stock at Thomann.  Not tried one myself, but it sounds like it might work well for rootsier sort of stuff.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Full size TC Spark booster - clean transparent boost with eq and no or very slight gain, or 'mid' setting for tubescreamerish tone and more gain, or 'fat' setting for fuller gain. Almost 3 pedals in 1 all for £40 new.       (End of sales pitch.)
    Roland said:
    Aren’t I allowed a pint at home then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Roland said:
    Camel pack. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    In the other direction from transparent overdrives is the Boss/JHS Angry Driver -- which is your BD-2 plus an Angry Charlie in the same pedal.  Set it for either the BD-2 or the AC, or set it so it switches from one to the other, or set it so (either) one is going into the other.  I love going from the BD-2 as a base OD into the gutsy AC.  It's like having an extra channel on my amp.

Another fave American sound is the Catalinbread Formula 55.  If you had that as your base OD then the BD-2 would stack with that really nicely.

Or you get a groovy Fender-y spring reverb.  The FRV-1 is perfect but no longer cheap.  The EHX-Oceans 11, or Neo-Grail do very similar drippy springs too.
  • A fuzz?  The EQD Hoof would get my vote.

Or, how about an EQ pedal, either at the start to boost the BD2, or end of your chain for solos/always on.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Chase Bliss Mood... a game changer in creativity
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    what amp you using ?   doing a quick search on named influences - most feature some fender amplification  and a few add some vox in there too .. 

so if you've something fender voiced - consider a pedal that adds the vox type chime ?  Wampler do an Ace 30 and 30 something as examples  or an eq that would mimic the Vox chime in conjunction with your base tone ? 

A  reverb if you're amp is reverb less ?   

otherwise a delay pedal that doesnt have very dark repeats but sits discretely in your sound to add some ambience - Im using an old Ibanez DL5 atm and its there but not there .. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    HAL9000 said:
    NelsonP said:
    Nothing wrong with it. Just wasn't using it, so moved it on. I don't feel any need for a delay on the board these days.
    Try a DD-7. The Carbon Copy is a very particular take on delay, the Boss has way more options and length of repeats which can supply rhythmic riffs, lush soundscapes etc. And it's a 40 sec looper.
    edited August 2019
    Some nice ideas there @JMP220478 . Amp is a Blues Cube Stage which, soundwise, is very much in the Fender Tweed Bassman mould. It already has reverb so no need imho for a pedal 'verb. It also has a 'Tone' button which adds a little top-end chime so not sure I need anything else to make things more Voxy (look, I've invented a word).

I'm liking the idea of something that adds a bit of ambience so might look at some kind of (subtle) delay - despite lots of playing with the settings the Carbon Copy always seemed to stand out too much in a 'look, he's using delay' kind of way. Might have to try some out some different delays then.

Also, will definitely try out the Rockett Blue Note as suggested by @menamestom - if it's as good as the YouTube demos suggest then it could well replace the BD-2 (and not really help the empty slot issue!).