What the hell is going on here - Gibson destruction

What's Hot

Comments

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I believe the footage is from a few years ago and has been released by an ex employee. 
    What I don't understand is the method. It seems a huge length to go to rather than cutting them up/shredding them etc. 
    Can only think it was part of a PR stunt they later thought better of releasing 

Yes, yhe waste is dreadful whatever the method or reason 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited August 2019
    They were probably going to landfill anyway but they wanted to put people off trying to dig them up? Seems a little more sensible to use the tools you have I suppose. 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    edited August 2019
    paul_c2 said:
    How is this any different to a vintage guitar that hangs on a wall and is never played?

How is crushing something different from looking after it and keeping it in a good condition? I don't know, it sounds like those are basically the exact same thing.

I thought about getting some nice wall hangers for my favourite guitars but then instead I just drove over them with a tractor, a quicker route to the same result.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    edited August 2019
    JayGee said:
    My understanding is that this was a bunch of non-functioning examples with dead electronics.
    That takes the long-standing cliché about Gibson quality control to a whole new level.  They were all non-functioning?  There are hundreds of the fuckers in that clip.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    This has indefinately cooled any interest I had in Gibson. After the last few years shenanigans if I have money to spend on a guitar it certainly won`t be "Teh Authentics"............

It is really disgusting in this day and age. Just the wood itself......... Jeez.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    "How is this any different to a vintage guitar that hangs on a wall and is never played?"

Did someone actually post that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Tbh it's really a drop in the ocean. Not saying it's right but look at all the food we through away each year. At least they're not that toxic.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    The vehicle crushing them looks like a fake to me. Gibson had better watch out.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Just goes to show how little actual monetary value there must be in their guitars!

economy of scale n all that!... 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    It happens everywhere. The motor industry destroy hundreds of pre-production cars or cars that have been lent to the press for evaluation. After the war, they were flying aircraft straight from the factory to the desert for scrapping. Lancaster bombers were de-engined and flattened with wrecking balls and used as hard-core for field drainage.

Waste is a first world disease and has to stop whatever the product.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    This is an official response from Gibson about this video

https://i.imgur.com/9s2EJ5R.png
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited August 2019
    At what point does a 'custom shop' become a production line? That's all I think when someone talks about their CS Gibson/Fender. Even the 'Collector's Choice' was 300+ guitars per no. and there's was about 20 of em lol.

EDIT: Actually there's closer to 50 different 'Collector's Choice' models...Classic B.S.
  • They should have buried them in the desert next to the containers full of E.T. Game cartridges.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited August 2019
    It's like they are trying to actively piss people off. How much positive publicity would they have generated from donating them?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    DrJazzTap said:
    It's like they are trying to actively piss people off. How much positive publicity would they have generated from donating them?
    That'd depend on who they gave them to. 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I think the only issue here is how they disposed of them. Recycling would have been better.

As for donation, this would have been a bad move:

1. Gibson already have a donation programme (Gibson Foundation)
    2. If they had donated these models, how easily it could have been viewed/spun as "Tightwad Gibson donate non-working crock-of-shit guitars to poor, under-privileged kids". TGP would have had a field day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    Rabs said:

'Unsafe' components?  Really?

So there wasn't a single pickup, switch or bridge that could be removed and repurposed?  And not only that, these 'unsafe' components were finding their way onto guitars over a period of two years?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    What a bunch of twats. 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    CJonathangus said:
    Rabs said:

'Unsafe' components?  Really?

So there wasn't a single pickup, switch or bridge that could be removed and repurposed?  And not only that, these 'unsafe' components were finding their way onto guitars over a period of two years?
    Sounds like a cop out excuse to me as well but who knows.