Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Purchasing my first-ish guitar

What's Hot
LynxLynx Frets: 8
Hi everyone, before I start, please note that I will be talking about budget-ish guitars so please don't shoot me down regarding the brands. 

Here we go, I've been researching electric guitars for the past 5 to 6 weeks and trying to find the "right fit" for me. I can confidently say I prefer an LP shape. I owned a Pacifica when younger and didn't like it at all so Strats and similar are out for me. My father owns a '76 Gibson Marauder and I absolutely love the shape and feel (hope to restore it completely one day and make it my own). Having said this I've been researching several companies and trying to understand build quality, playability, component quality and value for money. So far one of the best choices I've come back with is a Harley Benton SC custom P90 (in black and gold of course). The guitar comes equipped with mahogany body, mahogany set neck, jatoba fretboard, Roswell Alnico P90's, Grover tuners, strap locks and d'addario 10-46s. The other companies I've been looking at are Epiphone, Ibanez (335 style) and ESP LTD.

Epi makes my absolute favorite guitar which is the Lucille BB King edition but that's slightly over the budget at the moment so will come at a later time. 
If any of you have any insight or recommendations please share. Keep in mind I will be learning on this guitar although I still remember some basics, my main interest is blues. Whichever guitar I buy will be run with a VOX Amplug 2 Blues edition and headphones (So i don't wake the kids)

Thanks for reading!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    You really cant go far wrong with an Epiphone Les Paul. Make a great modding platform too should you want to try some better pick ups in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12310
    I would also look at Vintage as a brand who do LP shape.  Epiphone are decent, I have a Harley Benton which was fine as it was and I've spent £150 on top making it really great, but you don't get that money back when you sell.

The issue with Harley Benton is that you can't try before you buy and some of them can be not very good apparently.  If you are buying by delivery the same can be said for most brands.

Have you tried a telecaster - in my view probably best all round guitar and squier's can be had very cheap and upgraded bit bit bit if you so choose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You really cant go far wrong with an Epiphone Les Paul. Make a great modding platform too should you want to try some better pick ups in the future.
    This is what I did with one I bought in 2012, back then it was £299 so very affordable. Changed the bridge pickup and a few hardware components and now it plays on par with a Gibson!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LynxLynx Frets: 8
    @munckee Thanks for your reply! Good to hear others are playing HB's. The specs on the one I'm looking to buy seem great and based on youtube reviews not bad at all. Definitely agree on the try before you buy issue. I was thinking about going to PMT and picking up one there but my options would then by either an Epi LP, an Epi LP slash edition (not crazy about it) or a Squier affinity Tele (assuming I like the feel). It may actually be best to do it that way but the look of that HB just drives me crazy. Decisions decisions....
    You really cant go far wrong with an Epiphone Les Paul. Make a great modding platform too should you want to try some better pick ups in the future.
    Thanks for your reply @BeardyAndy, I agree they look great and heard they're easily modifiable. But there are literally a million variations, which one would you recommend based on components build quality? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12310
    Lynx said:
    @munckee Thanks for your reply! Good to hear others are playing HB's. The specs on the one I'm looking to buy seem great and based on youtube reviews not bad at all. Definitely agree on the try before you buy issue. I was thinking about going to PMT and picking up one there but my options would then by either an Epi LP, an Epi LP slash edition (not crazy about it) or a Squier affinity Tele (assuming I like the feel). It may actually be best to do it that way but the look of that HB just drives me crazy. Decisions decisions....
    My Harley Benton was set up reasonably well, the frets were fine, the pickups were ceramic which to me don't sound as good as alnico but were okay.  The tuners were the weakest area and putting decent tuners on made a difference.  If you haven't done any modding at all changing tuners will probably involve drilling the headstock.

For a blues guitar a used epiphone dot would be a very good place to start as would any of the ibanez types.  I don't like les paul shapes so can't really help there.

If you buy a harley benton and there's something terribly wrong with it you can always return it.  More likely are slight bodges on paintwork etc which won't affect the sound.
    munckee said:
    Lynx said:
    My Harley Benton was set up reasonably well, the frets were fine, the pickups were ceramic which to me don't sound as good as alnico but were okay.  The tuners were the weakest area and putting decent tuners on made a difference.  If you haven't done any modding at all changing tuners will probably involve drilling the headstock.

For a blues guitar a used epiphone dot would be a very good place to start as would any of the ibanez types.  I don't like les paul shapes so can't really help there.

If you buy a harley benton and there's something terribly wrong with it you can always return it.  More likely are slight bodges on paintwork etc which won't affect the sound.
    I'm not too worried about the tuners on it as it comes with Grovers but yeah definitely not experienced with modding at all. I'm quite good with my hands as I've done precision work before (concept design etc) but never on guitars. The dot was also an option but I was afraid it would be too big. Guess I'll have to go and try one at a local shop :)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I'd say that just know would be as good a time as any to start learning how...or finding someone you can talk to and trust...to do a basic "setup".
    Good knowledge to have and can turn a poor guitar into a decent one. 
    Even before swapping pickups etc. No point in getting fancy pups if you don't know how to set them up to taste really. 
    I'd say that just know would be as good a time as any to start learning how...or finding someone you can talk to and trust...to do a basic "setup".
    Good knowledge to have and can turn a poor guitar into a decent one. 
    Even before swapping pickups etc. No point in getting fancy pups if you don't know how to set them up to taste really. 
    Noted! I believe there's quite a good tuner local to me in Warwick so definitely something I will keep in mind once I've chosen my axe :)
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    My advice would be to get down to a guitar shop, with no pre-conceived ideas and try as many different types and brands (even strats) as possible to see what suits you best. Once you have an idea as to what feels best, then you can zero in on that and focus on getting the choice down to 2 or 3 options, which will make it easier to decide.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Mark1960 said:
    My advice would be to get down to a guitar shop, with no pre-conceived ideas and try as many different types and brands (even strats) as possible to see what suits you best. Once you have an idea as to what feels best, then you can zero in on that and focus on getting the choice down to 2 or 3 options, which will make it easier to decide.
    Thanks Mark, seems like I'm moving towards exactly that
    Lynx said:
    Thanks for your reply @BeardyAndy, I agree they look great and heard they're easily modifiable. But there are literally a million variations, which one would you recommend based on components build quality? 

To be honest there's not much in it if your looking at new, i'd avoid the SL though.

There's no shame in going to your LGS and trying a few, i find the standard too much of a lump so for my money i'd look at a studio. I've actually been considering one for myself to mod for a while. They are essentially unchanged in decades so one you know what you like you can start to search the classifieds for a bargain!
    Lynx said:

To be honest there's not much in it if your looking at new, i'd avoid the SL though.

There's no shame in going to your LGS and trying a few, i find the standard too much of a lump so for my money i'd look at a studio. I've actually been considering one for myself to mod for a while. They are essentially unchanged in decades so one you know what you like you can start to search the classifieds for a bargain!
    Good point, I haven't thought about buying second hand. I'll take it step by step and try my LGS to start! :)
    Lynx said:
    Lynx said:

Good point, I haven't thought about buying second hand. I'll take it step by step and try my LGS to start! :)
    You cant go too far wrong second hand at this end of the market, most of what you find will be the classic "I bought this a couple of years ago but never use it" sales. Just stick to brands you know and when you get it have a set up done on it.
    Lynx said:
    Lynx said:

You cant go too far wrong second hand at this end of the market, most of what you find will be the classic "I bought this a couple of years ago but never use it" sales. Just stick to brands you know and when you get it have a set up done on it.
    Thanks very much Andy! :) 
  • A word of warning; buying a guitar based on its specifications alone can be a dangerous game. 

I once bought a guitar from a well known manufacturer with great specs; Seymour Duncan pickups, standard woods, Grover hardware etc. When it turned up it sounded like a strangled banjo and felt like I was playing a fence post.  

Just be aware that it can be a bit of a lottery what you end up with. Sometimes it can work out fine, others, not so much.

I would follow some of the advice here and go to a shop and try lots of different guitars to determine, for starters, what sort of neck profile will suit the size and shape of your hands.  Getting something that suits your personal ergonomics goes a long way to being happy with your instrument.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9653
    If the Epiphone Lucille is what you ultimately want then get one rather than buying 'stepping-stone' guitars which, in the long run, will only end up costing you more money.

Try one first of course.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650

There's plenty of good advice here already about trying as many guitars as you can without preconception, getting help with a setup etc so I'll just throw one more thing into the mix.  From the selection of perfectly playable guitars that you end up with - pick the one that you like the look of (or better still, love).  It takes time and effort to learn an instrument.  If you have a guitar that you want to stare lovingly at and which you can't pass by without wanting to pick it up then it will help.  I've just set a guy in the office up with his first electric and amp.  I was selling the amp but I gave him the guitar for free (a LP copy by Vintage).  He absolutely loves this guitar and he put in several hours practice over the first weekend (he's been playing acoustic for a couple of years).  If the name is important to you, get that name.   Colour to match your favourite team? If it matters to you then it's important.  This is your guitar, not anybody else's. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    A word of warning; buying a guitar based on its specifications alone can be a dangerous game. 

I once bought a guitar from a well known manufacturer with great specs; Seymour Duncan pickups, standard woods, Grover hardware etc. When it turned up it sounded like a strangled banjo and felt like I was playing a fence post.  

Just be aware that it can be a bit of a lottery what you end up with. Sometimes it can work out fine, others, not so much.

I would follow some of the advice here and go to a shop and try lots of different guitars to determine, for starters, what sort of neck profile will suit the size and shape of your hands.  Getting something that suits your personal ergonomics goes a long way to being happy with your instrument.
    Thanks very much for your input Red! I'm now a tad worried to be honest. I've gotta say I absolutely fell in love with the HB simply because of the looks. The lacquered black and gold is just divine. There is just so much choice online with brands I know and others I've never heard of that making a choice is so hard...often shops have preferences in brands as well so it's a bit hit and miss..the whole things kinda puts me down a bit but I'll keep on searching!!
  • Musicwolf said:

There's plenty of good advice here already about trying as many guitars as you can without preconception, getting help with a setup etc so I'll just throw one more thing into the mix.  From the selection of perfectly playable guitars that you end up with - pick the one that you like the look of (or better still, love).  It takes time and effort to learn an instrument.  If you have a guitar that you want to stare lovingly at and which you can't pass by without wanting to pick it up then it will help.  I've just set a guy in the office up with his first electric and amp.  I was selling the amp but I gave him the guitar for free (a LP copy by Vintage).  He absolutely loves this guitar and he put in several hours practice over the first weekend (he's been playing acoustic for a couple of years).  If the name is important to you, get that name.   Colour to match your favourite team? If it matters to you then it's important.  This is your guitar, not anybody else's. 

Totally this ^

I was going to say that if you really like the look of the Harley Benton then order one from Thomann; if it's a stinker you can send it back, but if you go for something else and keep it, at some point in the future you *will* look at it wishing it was the Harley Benton
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)