Thinline tele build thread

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
edited August 2019 in Making & Modding
Finally decided to do this - life is too short, and it's just an idea I had that wouldn't go away. So basically, a '69 style thinline tele, not least because I think that is a very pretty design) but with a humbucker size pickup in the neck. I already had a nice flame maple neck kicking around, bought from Northwest Guitars some time ago. Could not find a nice thinline body for sale with the specs I wanted, so I got in touch with @GSPBASSES, and this lovely thing has just arrived:

Am planning for some sort of transparent blue dye Tru Oil finish. Have got a GFS Surf 90 pickup to use in the neck slot, and a nice Mojo Broadcaster pickup for the bridge. Still need to buy a few bits including the bridge unit, which I'm thinking probably a Gotoh. Hardward will be nickel. Anyhow, build thread underway!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    Nice wood
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the body looks great
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    the body looks great
    Thank you - it is indeed very nicely made with some attractive grain and figuring. It's ash (obviously), and given it is a fully chambered thinline style, I asked for the wood to be somewhat on the denser side. All seems very good anyhow.

The project is off to a slowish start, but I did spend an hour or two yesterday widening the sides of the neck pocket - just used sandpaper, both hand held and with a small block. Got there in the end, and now the neck is a nice fit, which allows me to get some idea of the finished guitar. Still planning to dye the body a not too dark transparent blue and then a thin-ish Tru Oil finish over that. Must get the dye and the rest of the hardware ordered!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Lovely. Have you are a decision about pickups yet?
    DannyP said:
    Lovely. Have you are a decision about pickups yet?
    Thank you @DannyP ; - the bridge pickup is definitely going to be a Mojo Broadcaster type (alnico 3, about 11K) that I bought on this forum some time ago for (if I remember right) £25 - bit of a bargain there, I'm sure a great pickup, and it needs using. Re the neck, I was thinking of using a GFS Surf 90 that I have spare - not the most high end of pickups, but I once had this installed in another guitar, and really liked it a lot. On the other hand, that might be a bit on the bright side in this build, with the maple neck and ash body, so possibly some kind of humbucker size P90. I'll be hoping to get a good clean single coil kind of sound for jazz use from the neck pickup, without wanting to replicate the old school mellow archtop kind of sound. I guess I'll at least try the Surf 90 to start with, and see how that goes.
    Cool! Doesn't matter what the pickups cost if they sound good =)

Did you not consider having the GFS body routed for a regular soapbar?

Or are you keeping options open for a humbucker?
    DannyP said:
    Cool! Doesn't matter what the pickups cost if they sound good =)

Did you not consider having the GFS body routed for a regular soapbar?

Or are you keeping options open for a humbucker?
    Cheers @DannyP - I never had a GFS body, just the GFS Surf 90 pickup, which is a humbucker size. The body you see above (made to order by this forum's GSPBASSES) was always going to be routed for a humbucker size pickup - partly because that works for the Surf 90, and also because that gives me other options if I want to try them, including of course an actual humbucker. I think a full size P90 would be too wide for the 69 thinline-style scratchplate, and I did want to use that, if only for the look. But one day I may well wish to aquire some kind of guitar with P90s - that will be one for the future though. 
    So, just ordered:

Jack socket holder/jack (modern electro style, nickel)
    Nickel plated brass string ferrules
    Gotoh BS-TC1S telecaster bridge unit (vintage style, but with cutaway side walls, compensated brass saddles), nickel plate
    Staggered locking machine heads, nickel
    2 x nickel finish control knobs
    2 x 300K log CTS pots
    Scratchplate fixing screws, nickel
    Nickel finish neck plate & fixing screws
    Crimson Guitars Phthalo Blue dye
    Small bottle of Tru Oil

Used Axecaster where I could, the rest from Axesrus, apart from the dye and Tru Oil. Any other bits needed I already have, but still comes to about £140 - these things do add up unfortunately...
    Sorry GSP not GFS, getting confused!
    DannyP said:
    Sorry GSP not GFS, getting confused!
    I figured that was what you meant - easily done anyhow, no worries, and cheers for your interest in the build. :)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2393
    Be aware that blue stain will go a teal ish colour under Tru Oil, I think its a beautiful colour but you may not. 
    Sarge said:
    Be aware that blue stain will go a teal ish colour under Tru Oil, I think its a beautiful colour but you may not. 
    Cheers @Sarge - that did occur to me, and I don't mind really as long as I end up with something one would call a shade of blue - if it ends up green, then that wouldn't be so good. I will try to keep the number of coats of Tru Oil on the low side also.
    Megii said:
    Sarge said:
    Cheers @Sarge - that did occur to me, and I don't mind really as long as I end up with something one would call a shade of blue - if it ends up green, then that wouldn't be so good. I will try to keep the number of coats of Tru Oil on the low side also.
    I doubt it could go green as Tru Oil only has an amber tint, here's a Westone Thunder body I did in blue stain before and after Tru Oil... 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mxKNzPuTDVpFBYzb7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1EERCLFHWVYdf5oRA
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sarge said:
    Megii said:
    Sarge said:
    I doubt it could go green as Tru Oil only has an amber tint, here's a Westone Thunder body I did in blue stain before and after Tru Oil... 

That looks fantastic to the extent I might want to copy it - may I ask what dye you used there @Sarge ? Appreciate the photos, helpful and reassuring also, cheers.
    Megii said:
    Sarge said:
    Megii said:
    Sarge said:

That looks fantastic to the extent I might want to copy it - may I ask what dye you used there @Sarge ? Appreciate the photos, helpful and reassuring also, cheers.
    No problem buddy, I used Bolgers water based, I find it to be very decent and vibrant enough, plus a little goes a very long way. 

https://bolgers.co.uk/products/bolgers-water-based-wood-dye-500ml
    Sarge said:
    Megii said:
    Sarge said:
    Megii said:
    Sarge said:

No problem buddy, I used Bolgers water based, I find it to be very decent and vibrant enough, plus a little goes a very long way. 

https://bolgers.co.uk/products/bolgers-water-based-wood-dye-500ml
    Top man, thank you, that's great! :)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Pleased to see you back on the build, @Megii ; :)

It's going to look good!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    Nice work and unlike the single coil and P90 combo
    Pleased to see you back on the build, @Megii ; :)

It's going to look good!
    rze99 said:
    Nice work and unlike the single coil and P90 combo
    Thanks guys, really still in the easy planning and getting the parts together stage re the pics above, but should be good. @Andyjr1515 as you know I am just a putter-togetherer of parts and have very limited woodworking skills, unlike yourself, but doing these kind of things still gives me the feeling of creating something, and  I do appreciate the welcome back to the building scene - I guess I couldn't stay away from it forever.

Anyhow, just a little more work on the build today - bridge fitted, and neck heel positioned and marked for the fixing screw holes with a couple of outside strings fitted to check alignment. I am going to have to do a bit of filing to the scratchplate, and possibly just a slight enlargement to the right side of the neck pickup cavity to be able to get the best positioning for the neck pickup. But you can see the look of the GFS Surf 90 pickup - it's kind of a vague variation on a Dynasonic kind of thing, with big alnico 2 polepieces. I bought a set of Axesrus's staggered aluminium locking tuners for this build, and am highly impressed by the quality and look of them - really great tuning machines. The bridge unit is a Gotoh, which has compensated brass saddles, and cutaways in the side walls of the ashtray, to give unhindered picking access - it seems nice I must say.

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    It's looking cool in natural ash!