Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 2511
    Oh, that looks interesting. Not a band with a lot ‘out there’ about the history and inner workings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 8225
    edited August 2
    I think it’s an official/ authorised release so I suspect we may not be much the wiser at the end of it but I’ll watch it. 

We usually get a lot of ‘ it’s just three chords and I don’t get it ‘ type responses to anything about ZZ Top on here but for a successful/ mainstream US rock band they have been quite radical in some ways ( not now, they are a group of pensioners living off former glories but Billy’s art school sensibilities have never gone away). The documentary I’d make about ZZ Top would be downplaying the lil ol boogie band from Texas shtick and asking about their visuals, the hidden in plain sight type approach to publicity, use of effects, experimental approaches and synthesisers, dabbling with rap and Latin music, learning the saxophone, stage design, work with Rainer Ptacek, how they look now at songs like Mexican Blackbird... although I suspect we’ll get the Hendrix and Pearly Gates stories, how everybody loves them, wow Billy has a lot of guitars and boom go buy the latest compilation. 
    Who invaded Spain in the eight century?
    The Moops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 6099
    edited August 2
    Wis’d ^  there's an awful lot of smoke and mirrors where the band are concerned. Billy G ostensibly talks a lot about himself but I suspect most of it is homespun bullshit, made to entertain. Even the Pearly Gates story, although maybe based on a grain of truth, smells too much of Good Ol Boys awhoopin’n’ahollerin’ their way through life. They’re quite a private band really... all you hear about Dusty is his various illnesses. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an interview with Frank (well, discussing himself rather than drums). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RearWingRearWing Frets: 33
    A great band and nice guys too. I had dinner with Frank in 1983, a dry humour you could shave with, a good time was had by all.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 2201
    If they could make a documentary explaining how Billy G. got that filthy overdrive on the opening chords of Jailhouse Rock from the live side of Fandango, I'd watch the hell out of it.

Love early ZZ, grew up listening to Tres Hombres.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 5650
    They're still a great little band.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 15816
    edited August 3
    I love ZZ Top but as with most bands, I don't really want to know much about them. I just wanna listen to them.
    Does not caring about bands make me a bad person?

I once read Slash's autobiography, it put me right off guitarists for a long while.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 6099
    randella said:
    If they could make a documentary explaining how Billy G. got that filthy overdrive on the opening chords of Jailhouse Rock from the live side of Fandango, I'd watch the hell out of it.

Love early ZZ, grew up listening to Tres Hombres.

Yup the early material is way better, although there are the odd gems in their later albums. I quite like Recycler for instance and Rhythmeen has some great tracks (including even more filthy overdrive on the title track 
    :) )
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 1586
    Sassafras said:
    I love ZZ Top but as with most bands, I don't really want to know much about them. I just wanna listen to them.
    Does not caring about bands make me a bad person?

I once read Slash's autobiography, it put me right off guitarists for a long while.
    thats how i feel,. i want to just enjoy the magic without knowing whats behind the scenes. Same with films, if i see a great film i dont then want to watch the outtakes or watch interviews with the actors on set.