Psa; £1 fees weekend on fleabay

What's Hot
MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
Yep

£1 fees weekend again. Get all your crap... I mean surplus items on 

Lol

Is it me or is ebay a bit shit lately... used to sell guitar bits in minutes sometimes... haven't sold owt  for weeks  (even useful stuff)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    MLten80 said:

Is it me or is ebay a bit shit lately... used to sell guitar bits in minutes sometimes... haven't sold owt  for weeks  (even useful stuff)
    Try reverb.com instead.

Ebay has been shit for about the last ten years or so. They only have themselves to blame. Once the "go to" place online for buying and selling, but they got too greedy with their fees, and brought in too many changes that were unfair to sellers. Sellers wanted an alternative, and eventually it came in the form of reverb.com and facebook marketplace.

Got a message in my ebay inbox today "did you know people get 2.7 times more money for things on ebay than on facebook marketplace" yeah whatever ebay. Keep trying. Good luck getting your sellers back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    I did well out of a £1 weekend recently - sold a Charvel in a matter of hours for asking price. Might try again this weekend with the Tokai and Deluxe Reverb I have on here (purely for the increased exposure) but they will be collection only and Ebay's stance on making Paypal mandatory for these doesn't fill me with confidence... I'll state cash only but the option of Reverb with sensible fees and seemingly more seller-friendly policies is increasingly tempting.

I'd never bother with Ebay outside £1-fee weekends anymore.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited August 2019
    ^ starting to think that too

I try & offer free/cheap p&p when theres no fees

I've only got 2x 1/2 guitars left to sell, I might try reverb as suggested next week if I've not biters by then  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited August 2019

Is this £1 listing fees or final value commission fees? I get free listing anyway for some reason.

It's not the listing fees that are expensive, it's the 10% commission and the 3.4% PayPal that kills you.

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    No, it's just £1 commission on the sale price. I'll put two or three up for sale, I think - I only do it when they have a £1 commission offer. I always state 'collection' and 'cash/transfer'. I won't do it any other way - which makes some sales a bit more difficult, but at least it a) gives people the chance to try a guitar or amp and b) gets the deal done without having to worry about PayPal issues etc.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    Keiko said:
    MLten80 said:

Try reverb.com instead.

Ebay has been shit for about the last ten years or so. They only have themselves to blame. Once the "go to" place online for buying and selling, but they got too greedy with their fees, and brought in too many changes that were unfair to sellers. Sellers wanted an alternative, and eventually it came in the form of reverb.com and facebook marketplace.

Got a message in my ebay inbox today "did you know people get 2.7 times more money for things on ebay than on facebook marketplace" yeah whatever ebay. Keep trying. Good luck getting your sellers back.

Overly negative, I think. When they do the £1 fvf offer it's a great way to sell high value items for peanuts, particularly if you insist on cash on collection. 

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    Nope, eBay good these days... sold more on there on the last 12 months or so, than on here sadly
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited August 2019
    Ebay has been good for me too recently. Sold a couple of old Boss pedals for a good price and a Baja tele neck with a £1 listing fee. I always put stuff on for a slightly optimistic price but open to offers and will turn on easy pricing after a while if things aren't selling. Seems to work well.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    edited August 2019
    Keiko said:
    Got a message in my ebay inbox today "did you know people get 2.7 times more money for things on ebay than on facebook marketplace" 
    Aye but then they have to pay the difference to Ebay.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I find reverb a waste of time.
    Prices are absolutely silly imo... 
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    Ebay has been good for me too recently. Sold a couple of old Boss pedals for a good price and a Baja tele neck with a £1 listing fee. I always put stuff on for a slightly optimistic price but open to offers and will turn on easy pricing after a while if things aren't selling. Seems to work well.
    ^^ This.  Works very well for me too.  Put it BIN at optimistic price, never know, someone may be looking for exact same and will pay top dollar so nobody gets it before them.  If your item isn't getting a lot of interest then adjust asking price accordingly.  If collection only, then cash or bank transfer, definitely NO PayPal.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    Unfortunately, our forum is very slow sales-wise at the moment...

I've just been selling 6 pedals; 5 of them were sold on eBay with the £1 offer.
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    eBay have put mine up to £2 fvf I'm not going for that lining their of their pockets
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Nope, eBay good these days... sold more on there on the last 12 months or so, than on here sadly

Ditto. Sticking to the £1 deals but I’ve sold a lot of stuff and at good prices
  • The fees on ebay have *never* been the problem---the market on there is so big that its worth it. 

The "problem" with eBay is the weighting of their policies towards buyers. But that's entirely separate to the fees. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    The fees on ebay have *never* been the problem---the market on there is so big that its worth it. 

The "problem" with eBay is the weighting of their policies towards buyers. But that's entirely separate to the fees. 
    I’ll never sell on eBay now. Too risky  :(

Other methods available for selling stuff nowadays 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Yamaha77 said:
    eBay have put mine up to £2 fvf I'm not going for that lining their of their pockets
    £2 to sell something worth hundreds of pounds is an absolute bargain in my eyes. The platform has its issues but where else can you sell to such a large population for £2?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    Yamaha77 said:
    £2 to sell something worth hundreds of pounds is an absolute bargain in my eyes. The platform has its issues but where else can you sell to such a large population for £2?
    Methinks he was being facetious...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Whitecat said:
    Yamaha77 said:
    Methinks he was being facetious...
    The old sarcasm has got me again...
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    Still not sold shit 

Even offered free postage last weekend 

Meh