Recent NGD: Martin OM-42 Acoustic "Tribute"

What's Hot
Hi all,

Last year I bought an R9 from this forum as a tribute to my Dad who died suddenly at the end of September. 

At the time I thought I would also buy a nice acoustic as a tribute to my Mum who had died a few years before.

I went to PMT in Manchester and tried the OM-28, OM-JM and the OM-42. In the end I settled on the OM-42, the OM-JM actually felt underwhelming, and I always had that "fanboi" thing in mind, which, given I would be 739027 years old before I was close to being as good as JM I avoided the signature.

Only sad thing about the whole experience was that the strings on the 42 were quite old and tired looking, I would have expected them to offer a set FoC for the purchase of a £5295 guitar, but they didn't and in fact charged over the odds for the Martin strings I got. Never mind. Guess the larger chains don't really care about customer service...

Anyhow, question; I'm thinking of putting a pickup in it, what do we think, LR Baggs Anthem? Anthem SL? Lyric? I'll be keeping the guitar forever as it's a tribute anyhow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KtGktkBFBfoQBiRQ9

Thanks for reading!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    nice, and yes you are right to expect they'd at least put decent strings on it, if only to help sell. One of my bugbears in guitar shops are expensive guitars with manky strings. It's akin to going to buy car and finding them all unwashed with yesterdays maccie d's in the passenger well.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @VimFuego wiz awarded for creative wording, great metaphor! =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow awarded for the guitar, wisdom for the grump about grotty strings. I mean, it's not as if the profit margin on a guitar that pricey will be less than a fiver, will it?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well done. The OM-42 is a great guitar. I similarly have tribute/memorial guitars for my parents.

In my D18-GE I gave an LR Baggs Lyric which I think sounds superb. Just like the guitar itself to my ears. If you want the ability to blend a pickup and a mic then a Lyric Anthem would be good if an under saddle pickup is an option. It’s not on the D18-GE because the saddle is glued in.

Happy hunting. Do let us know what you decide on.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @TheOtherDennis Great point! Also, LOL awarded for the signature =)

@FunkyGibbon Thanks! That's useful! I know the saddle isn't glued in and there is a beginnings of a small hole at one end of the bridge, so I think with appropriate sanding of the saddle it should be possible to get an under saddle in concert with the mic. 

Yes, really intrigued with the Lyric, I'll have to listen to more clips, thanks for the answer, will keep you all posted!
  • Looks brilliant! I agree re strings!
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited August 2019
    @stephen.wood125 Ta for the lol

Can I recommend a look at the K&K pick ups? Their Ultrapure (I think it is) is fantastic. Don't know how easy it is to instal, mind, because the only one I've heard was on a Brook Tamar fitted by Brook, but god it sounded lush. Utterly beautiful sound. How much of that was the Brook and how much the pick up is a matter for debate, but it made the Tamar sound like melted chocolate.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, thanks! I'll take a listen.  :)
  • JonPJonP Frets: 48
    I have an OM 42 with L R Baggs Anthem - truly fantastic plugged in sound - highly recommended 
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    +1 for a K&K
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)