Rome

What's Hot
So I nearly strated a thread on here couple weeks ago - things to do when in Rome. 
Somehow - I didn't... and I just got here today. Rome for 5 days and then one week in Pescara - east coast.

I wanted to ask for best places to eat, what is worth seeing, what not necessarily so... 

But blimey! I've just went for a quick stroll and got myself a kebab as I've eaten airport salads until then - damn... that was proper! I never thought I'll appreciate that kind of street food.
The whole city smells of garlic and in general within a hundred yards from my hotel there is so many restaurants that I won't be able to visit even 10% of then during my stay...

It's stupidly hot in here too...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    edited August 2019
    I’d recommend you check out Dark Rome for their tours - I took a couple last year after someone here recommended them. and was very impressed.
    I’m heading to Florence tomorrow if anyone had recommendations?
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Thanks - will look into that... 

I will happily just walk the streets and get some of that vibrant feel from the city. I'll visit few "must sees" like Colosseum etc.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Do a tour of the palace grounds and the Forum, cheap and brilliant. Then go walk on the blank spot where the chariot races were:

Ice cream here is awesome and you can walk along the riverside after 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/71RkQnU1N2xzxpT46

This is a popular spot and nice in the evening with diners

Piazza Navona

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Do a tour of the palace grounds and the Forum, cheap and brilliant. Then go walk on the blank spot where the chariot races were:

Ice cream here is awesome and you can walk along the riverside after 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/71RkQnU1N2xzxpT46

This is a popular spot and nice in the evening with diners

Piazza Navona

Lovely. Exactly my kinda thing - thank you.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    I did the Colosseum tour via an independent agent, they have access to the underground level and the arena itself which you don't get with the normal entry ticket.

Do a Segway tour as well! Bloody brilliant. We used Rex Tours who were ace.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I've been to Rome about a dozen or so times- it is my favourite city- but I'll never go again in August.
    Way too hot.
    October is my favourite month, or April/May.

Do all the tourist stuff first, 5 days is just enough to get a taste, do more on your second trip.
    St Peter’s Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps etc.

On your 3rd trip come back and ask for recommendations, but a few less common things to explore are Basilica de San Pietro in Vincoli, Basilica Santa Pudenziana Rome, Via Urbana, Keyhole to the cupola Aventine Hill, Piramide di Caio Cestio, Ostia Antica are all worth checking out.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    So I nearly strated a thread on here couple weeks ago - things to do when in Rome. 

I think you're just supposed to do what the Romans....

I've already got me coat..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Rome is my favourite city too. I’d just wander round if I were you... it’s a pretty compact place and you’re never far from the next thing. Set aside at least a day for the Vatican and definitely pre book. Enjoy!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Rome is great.  We asked the staff at the hotel where they ate and was recommended a tiny backstreet restaurant a few streets away.  Very unimposing and ordinary.  food was stunning.    Take a trip to teh catacombs if you get a chance  - We did St Sebastian's,  very interesting, though we did go february and it was reasonably quite.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6774
    We did a Segway tour from near the forum around the sites, great fun and a great way to quickly get your bearings and see what’s worth spending more time at.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Visit the ossurary underneath the Capuchin monk museum, the "English Cemetary" (the pyramid is real, and take coins for the cats), and look through the keyhole in the Knights of Malta doorway.

Never pay more than 1.2 Euro for a coffee.
    Thanks for the tips @MattBanshee ; - I will have a look at the pyramid tomorrow. 
    Heat is immense though - 36°C when I was queuing up in Vatican- I went for a morning run too and the crowds at 8am were already intense - along with the temperature... I prefer to be hot rather than cold - but I don't think I boiled so much even in Tobago or Cuba... I like the city though. 
    ...but its dirty. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26921
    We'll be there next week. It's absolutely brilliant.

Also went a few years ago. Highlights were catacombs, via appia antica and surrounding area (we were staying out in that direction), baths of caracalla plus the obvious central stuff - colosseum, pantheon, trevi fountain, spanish steps, etc. And go to the Vatican to marvel at a collection so valuable they could have a good stab at solving world poverty just selling the stuff on the floor and in dusty cupboards.

Mostly it's about the food though. I highly recommend the guys at romanfoodtour.com if you want a guided evening at some awesome places. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    do you plan to visit the Vatican museum?
    If so there's a sneaky trick to bail out from the Sistine chapel straight to St Peter's without having to queue 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    most unexpected pleasures:

Garden Room Fresco

they have restored all 4 walls of this, it's amazing to sit in the middle and think how old these paintings are:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_of_Livia#/media/File:Villa_di_livia,_affreschi_di_giardino,_parete_corta_meridionale_01.jpg
    , they have been reinstalled in the Palazzo Massimo.

Underground tour:
    https://www.palazzovalentini.it/domus-romane/index-en.html#visita ;

• John_P said:
    I’d recommend you check out Dark Rome for their tours - I took a couple last year after someone here recommended them. and was very impressed.
    I’m heading to Florence tomorrow if anyone had recommendations?
    Yep, certainly check out Dark Rome's Crypts and Catacombs tour if you have time, very impressive and educational.

I found it quite odd when visiting the Forum, thinking "This is actually where Julius Caesar was murdered!"

Loved my visit and certainly plan to go back soon.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    All visited and great tips here guys. Loving my stat here and yes... in a foodie so enjoying that very much. 
    I went to Travestere tonight and dined in one of the lovely side street restaurants... our food was great, so was the service and surrounding night time displays etc... loved the vibe. At 11pm it's still over 25°C but I love it...