NGD Update - Avalon Ard Ri - S7-OAKC lefty

What's Hot
GTCGTC Frets: 261
edited August 2019 in Acoustics
I took delivery of this little beauty a couple of days ago.

It is  a small-bodied Avalon 12-fretter - Sinker redwood top, bog oak back and sides with a cutaway, 46mm nut width and a tree of life 12th fret inlay.

TIme from order to delivery was around 11 weeks with an updated photo library to keep me informed of progress along the way.

Even as a brand new guitar out of the case it sounds fantastic - with a much louder, more resonant and more complex tone than I was expecting - like no other guitar I've played before.

To maintain domestic harmony I had to part company with my beloved Avalon L2-20 lefty - but this more than makes up for it.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    Looks great
    Why did you choose a small body?
    And did you consider a Florentine cutaway?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is there an advantage going for one type cutaway over another? 

How do you find it compared to the jumbo? 

Looks brilliant!! Sound clips!!
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Looks great
    Why did you choose a small body?
    And did you consider a Florentine cutaway?
    I thought a small body would feel more comfortable for my light fingerstyle playing. Having said that, my old L2-20 jumbo felt remarkable comfortable for fingerstyle. This guitar certainly doesn't sound like a small body.

Regarding the cutaway, I personally preferred the rounded lines of a conventional cutaway to a Florentine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • it just clicked it's a 12-fretter with cutaway. 
    Does cutaway really give you better access to the higher frets? @ToneControl was telling me a 12-fretter with cutaway is probably preferable to a 14 fret full body in terms of sound. How do you find it? 

I am REALLY surprised just how much sound the L bodies produce. I mean, it's so loud I actually think it could damage my hearing ... ! :lol:

I want to see and hear more of this! :)
    Is there an advantage going for one type cutaway over another? 

My choice on the cutaway was purely aesthetic. I've heard some suggestions that a rounder cutaway gives a deeper tone and that Florentine cutaways make it easier to access the higher frets - but most think it makes no difference.

It feels a little different to the jumbo but they are both equally comfortable. As you'd probably expect, this is more comfortable in standard classical position (which I frequently employ using a Neck-up support or a Dynarette cushion). 

Sound clips may follow in due course if I'm feeling brave! 
  • Would love to hear - thank you!

So many Avalons lately!
    So many Avalons lately!
    Northern Ireland's best kept secret methinks;)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    GTC said:

I thought a small body would feel more comfortable for my light fingerstyle playing. Having said that, my old L2-20 jumbo felt remarkable comfortable for fingerstyle. This guitar certainly doesn't sound like a small body.
    Superb NGD. 

What is the width of the guitar at the lower bout?  Some superb guitar makers coming out of NI right out.  I'd say Avalon are quite well known but IMO Ciaran McNally seems to be the best kept secret for now, but I can't see that being the way for that much longer. 

it just clicked it's a 12-fretter with cutaway. 
    Does cutaway really give you better access to the higher frets? @ToneControl was telling me a 12-fretter with cutaway is probably preferable to a 14 fret full body in terms of sound. How do you find it? 
    12 fret vs 14 frets have their pros and cons aside from the obvious (ie more/less frets).  I myself wouldn't put one above another for being better sounding, each design has occasions where it is better or worse suited and it's about finding the one that suits you the best.  I have nice 00's in 12 and 14 fret configurations, and I find myself preferring certain guitars for certain pieces.  
  • Just checked McNally guitars. 
    Man, there are just too many good builders. 
    I very rarely GAS but when I do starts, I find it hard to stop. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GTC said:
    Is there an advantage going for one type cutaway over another? 

My choice on the cutaway was purely aesthetic. I've heard some suggestions that a rounder cutaway gives a deeper tone and that Florentine cutaways make it easier to access the higher frets - but most think it makes no difference.

It feels a little different to the jumbo but they are both equally comfortable. As you'd probably expect, this is more comfortable in standard classical position (which I frequently employ using a Neck-up support or a Dynarette cushion). 

Sound clips may follow in due course if I'm feeling brave! 
    I use a Dynarette with a bit of this on top:
    https://4.imimg.com/data4/KF/FN/MY-12342495/phone-pad-slip-mat-500x500.jpg ;

I don't normally use the Dynarette for the Dreadnoughts though!
    I use a Dynarette with a bit of this on top:
    https://4.imimg.com/data4/KF/FN/MY-12342495/phone-pad-slip-mat-500x500.jpg ;

I don't normally use the Dynarette for the Dreadnoughts though!
    For smaller guitars I use a folded towel under the Dynarette for height adjustment. You can't get a lefty Dynarette but it is quite stable just turned round. I prefer the Neck-Up but the simplicity of the Dynarette is so much more convenient when swapping guitars.
    GTC said:

Superb NGD. 

What is the width of the guitar at the lower bout?  Some superb guitar makers coming out of NI right out.  I'd say Avalon are quite well known but IMO Ciaran McNally seems to be the best kept secret for now, but I can't see that being the way for that much longer. 

12 fret vs 14 frets have their pros and cons aside from the obvious (ie more/less frets).  I myself wouldn't put one above another for being better sounding, each design has occasions where it is better or worse suited and it's about finding the one that suits you the best.  I have nice 00's in 12 and 14 fret configurations, and I find myself preferring certain guitars for certain pieces.  

Lower bout width - 370mm (upper bout - 272mm)

The bridge on 12 fretters is pushed back to accomodate the scale length thereby increasing the string vibration length above  the soundboard. This can provided a more rounded tone and improved bass response. The effect is more noticeable on smaller body guitars due to the proportional impact on a small sounboard area. A cutaway certainly improves the access to the higher frets - that 's what it is there for. Personally I can't see any difference in high fret access between a Venetian (rounded) or Florentine (sharp) cutaway
    GTC said:
    GTC said:

Superb NGD. 

Lower bout width - 370mm (upper bout - 272mm)

The bridge on 12 fretters is pushed back to accomodate the scale length thereby increasing the string vibration length above  the soundboard. This can provided a more rounded tone and improved bass response. The effect is more noticeable on smaller body guitars due to the proportional impact on a small sounboard area. A cutaway certainly improves the access to the higher frets - that 's what it is there for. Personally I can't see any difference in high fret access between a Venetian (rounded) or Florentine (sharp) cutaway
    I ordered a Florentine for the appearance, I'm not expecting any other benefits
    I've been asked why I selected this tonewood combination. Well - there wasn't much science or comparison with other options involved but I remembered being impressed with the tone and appearance of a Lowden in similar woods. I also love the mystique and romance surrounding 3,500 year old bog oak - and sinker redwood complements it beautifully. What I've received has exceeded my expectations in appearance and tone.

I wasn't actually looking for another guitar when I ordered this one (I've already got a custom Brook Taw being built), but when I heard Avalon had some nice bog oak sets there was no stopping me.

There was some worry about breaking the news of another guitar to Mrs.GTC which is why I've reluctantly sold my Avalon L2-20 - which is probably the finest all-rounder workhorse I've played, but not irreplaceable like some of my other guitars. 
    I nearly went for the same woods, but then decided to go for cheaper woods that were closer in sound to BRZ

I'm wondering about African blackwood now
  • Blackwood... doesn't TE use Asutralian blackwood? 
    Or maybe I'm talking BS.
    Blackwood... doesn't TE use Asutralian blackwood? 
    Or maybe I'm talking BS.
    they do use that

African blackwood is the next most expensive after Brazilian rosewood
    "700" is the code
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited August 2019
    I did see that in the booklet.. damn.. fine woods..

This is such a compact looking guitar, given the 12-fret nature and the smaller body. OP has gone from a jumbo to an S! 
    I'd love to try an S-model..!!
    Just an update on my S7-OAK lefty  demonstrating terrific customer service from Avalon.

I was delighted with the guitar (to put it mildly) but was concerned about some minor scuffing on the oak back. This appeared to have been caused by the case being slightly oversize and the guitar sliding about in transit against the document pack underneath.

I e-mailed Avalon on a Sunday evening about this - before 10 am the next day they had organised a DPD pickup that day for return. On the following Thursday, I had a call to say the scuffing had been sorted and they were returning the guitar to me. The batch of six S-body cases they had received from Hiscox were of the wrong model and the correct replacements had been ordered but they were on a six week lead time. So - the Managing Director shipped the guitar back to me in his wife's S-body case and this is a perfect fit. A swap will be arranged when the new Hiscox cases come in.

It should be noted that both the final inspection and packing of guitars for shipment are normally carried out by the MD, Steve. However, my original shipment was one of the rare occasions when he wasn't able to do this for understandable reasons. I understand that steps have now been taken to ensure something like this doesn't happen again

The guitar is now back with me and looks and sounds even better than I remembered it. Well done Avalon!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom