Grow lights for chillies?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    They produce a lot of light that isn't needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They produce a lot of light that isn't needed.

Any ideas on a more efficient one that’s also affordable? I’m not sure what terms to look for...
    They produce a lot of light that isn't needed.

Any ideas on a more efficient one that’s also affordable? I’m not sure what terms to look for...
    For vegetative growth "cool white" around 2700k is ideal.
    I don't have much experience with LEDs. There are so many out there claiming different things. It's a bit of a minefield. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I got something like this:

It's basic, but enough to start a couple of seed trays of various plants. I build a box of white cardboard around at night and open to the daylight in the spare room during the day. I turn them off when I go to bed, 24 hour growing is not required.
    For home gardens that should be adequate, if you plan on semi commercial scale growing you need more. Oh and the neighbours will suspect your up to no good with grow lights showing ;-)

• ESBlonde said:
    I got something like this:

It's basic, but enough to start a couple of seed trays of various plants. I build a box of white cardboard around at night and open to the daylight in the spare room during the day. I turn them off when I go to bed, 24 hour growing is not required.
    For home gardens that should be adequate, if you plan on semi commercial scale growing you need more. Oh and the neighbours will suspect your up to no good with grow lights showing ;-)

Haha yes I can imagine. I'm intending on using a box lined with paper in our cupboard, so during the day they'll sit on the windowsill and then in the evening they'll get a few hours bonus of light without freaking the neighbours out. There is even a tiny, low wattage, energy efficient space heater fitted as it's supposed to be an airing cupboard! 
  • I got a something like the above but a bit more powerful - claims 75 watt but it's not, more like 50.

Pretty hefty, but if it's just to keep them ticking over, rather than getting them to fruit, I reckon it'll do... 
    Watch it doesn't get too hot. There'll be a bit of heat from the lamp. 
  • Watch it doesn't get too hot. There'll be a bit of heat from the lamp. 

Okay. I'll probably not have the heater on to begin with. The lamp has a timer as well, so it won't be on for more than a few hours. 

I'll perhaps invest in a thermometer and make sure it doesn't regularly hit 30 degrees. My chillies last year did well indoors at about 22-24 degrees. In hot weather they got a bit sad. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    If you want to actually grow them then you need more than the first unit with 100 x o.2 watt leds at best 20 watts.

look for something like a 50 watt hort COB if they are all trimmed back to be dormant then you don’t want a hot airing cupboard or a load of light only when you start briging them back do you need heat and light if you want to early crop them so putting them under a couple of months of lighting before moving them out.

if it a supplement then a cheap clip on to extend the photo period in winter you might get away with the little clip on but they are nothing in terms of the kind of light to grow them.

• If you want to actually grow them then you need more than the first unit with 100 x o.2 watt leds at best 20 watts.

look for something like a 50 watt hort COB if they are all trimmed back to be dormant then you don’t want a hot airing cupboard or a load of light only when you start briging them back do you need heat and light if you want to early crop them so putting them under a couple of months of lighting before moving them out.

if it a supplement then a cheap clip on to extend the photo period in winter you might get away with the little clip on but they are nothing in terms of the kind of light to grow them.

I have this on the way... 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Relassy-Indoor-Plants-Dimmable-Function/dp/B07JB7DRKP&ved=2ahUKEwj-wbGl3O3jAhXCQkEAHYIOB-QQFjAAegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw2s6jv7i872SNRQ0iMZjvHN

Which sounds like it might have enough whack to keep them green and ticking over winter. Will be an interesting experiment for sure, I'd love to have a successful super hot chilli. I saved 4 seedlings so that's 4 chances to succeed (plus I have some purple jalapeño, Bulgarian hot carrot and a couple of compact sweet pepper seedlings I'll try at the same time). 

I'll keep them all in 9cm pots to avoid them getting too needy, and aim to pot out next Jan or Feb I reckon. Just need to line a cardboard box with some paper to get that reflectivity. The walls are matt white also, so it should be relatively efficient for a small, cheap set up. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Personally I'd try a south facing window sill, chilli plants are pretty tough as long as watered and kept away from frost.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Personally I'd try a south facing window sill, chilli plants are pretty tough as long as watered and kept away from frost.

I will do that for my mature plants this year, but as these are seedlings I think they'll need help as their roots will probably rot otherwise, even in near-dry soil. 

Mature plants I have are mohawk f1 sweet peppers, purple jalapeño and a mini bell pepper plant. I may also have an anaheim chilli plant, but that's grown really quite big so would need it's root ball to be trimmed smaller to get in a house friendly pot.

Sounds like I'll be ready to open a shop next year! 
  • Just an update so far one this.

I had seedlings transferred into individual 9cm pots once germinated, varieties were: komodo dragon, purple jalapeño, sweet banana, candy cane f1, Bulgarian hot carrot. 

They were initially sad by the transfer (quite normal) but soon settled. 

I also left some in the propogator pots, now with no heat. All on the same west facing windowsill. 

The grow light supported plants receive about 4-5 hours of grow light per day (an hour in the morning, the rest extending the evening for them). They are all green, healthy and despite one being knocked down by the curtain, all appear to be doing well.

The ones left to their own devices were all incredibly leggy - falling over of their own accord. A couple I transferred that have not had a grow light are not leggy, but they are a fair bit smaller than the ones supported with the grow light. 

Amazed already - doubt there is enough light to support them over winter, so may need to invest in a second when there is more foliage. For now though, pretty good given the crap summer we're having.