Need to enlarge trem cavity just a bit

What's Hot
The trem I want to install in this old Fernandes needs to just a little more width in the cavity to function - the opening from the top of the guitar is slightly smaller than the main cavity, creating a sort of lip at the top (see photo looking from the cavity). I basically want to just remove that lip so the cavity & opening are all flush, in a way that doesn't look too bad (reasonably neat and low damage to the finish).

So far it I'm thinking options are;
  • Sanding - slow but less risk of major damage
  • Files & sanding - as above but a bit more efficient
  • Dremel with barrel sander
  • Dremel with router bit 
  • Proper router 
I don't actually have any of the above so need to keep in mind what's needed vs reasonable cost for an occasional DIY'er. My trusty old dremel died so I've been wondering about replacing that anyway.

Curious for any recommendations or warnings etc :)

I realize I need to fill and redrill the trem mounting screw holes too which are disappointingly wonky.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I would strike the dremel off your list - impossible to do a clean job with a barrel sander, and a dremel router is a real hazard.
    If it was me I would use a scalpel to score a deep groove in the finish and the wood at the required distance, and then work to it with chisels and / or files and finish with sanding.
    This should hopefully stop the finish from chipping further back although that’s still a risk.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Proper router job. Can you borrow one if you don't have one? Ideally make a template for the job and use a bit with a bearing, but I have done freehand routing myself at times - you need a steady hand!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    Or a router bit with bottom bearing so no need for a template

But the real question is why do you need to?  The lip is normal and doesn't usually get in the way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    Just to clarify, its the very top bit of the lip (top of the first pic), not the full width. Its to fit a vega trem - it just needs a bit more space width-ways to fit in the cavity - see pics, currently its right up against the top E side (where the lip is) meaning the strings are all slightly too far towards the bottom E side.

• bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    Turned out just some sanding did the job fine after all - I thought it would be a more intensive thing.