Player vs. Vintera Modified Strat

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
I asked this question at the end of an old thread but there weren't any replies, perhaps for that reason, so posting as a new thread hoping for some insight.

When comparing the Player Strat to the Vintera Modified Strat, so much of the specs on paper are identical.

The only differences in the specs listed on the Fender website are:
  • Frets: 21 vs 22
  • Truss Rod: Neck Heel vs Headstock
  • Tuners: Locking Vintage vs. Standard
The neck shape are both listed as "modern C" but I'm not sure if they're identically shaped or if there is a subtle difference.

The pickups are apparently different but they're both alnico and neither are branded or Custom Shop.

So are they essentially very similar guitars with the Vintera just having a more vintage look about it? If so, the price difference is quite big just for the addition of locking tuners when there are some functional downsides too, in the name of vintage correctness.

Or are the specs misleading and there's more differences than I've mentioned?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    I recently posted about my new player strat (shell pink). I have had classic player strat in the past, which is effectively the rebadged vintera modified.

I don't think the player is worse/inferior to my old classic player, just a slightly different vibe. Despite the modern appointments of the vintera modified, I think it's still trying to retain an element of the vintage vibe. The player isn't, it's very much a modern day take on a strat I guess, much like the the American standard and pro. I suppose it might be like comparing the American pro and American original lines. You may get a little more care and attention with the more expensive line I guess.

Personally I think the player is a steal at 500-550, nothing needs changing. I think the 200-250 jump to vintera is a bit too steep for me, based on my classic player (as nice as it was). 

That said I'm sure the vintera is absolutely wonderful. I think the Mexican lines now are brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I took a very quick look at a Vintera in PMT the other day, looked nicely done and the PF fretboard was darker and had more grain in it than I have seen before. Really nice. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I don't know what pickups are in the Player series but I do know the all the Vintera models have Tim Shaw designed pickups to match the supposed vintage year of the models.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    Isn’t the body contouring/carving on the Vinteras supposed to be more vintage correct? (Mind you, I guess that anything to do with contouring won’t apply to Teles.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    HAL9000 said:
    Isn’t the body contouring/carving on the Vinteras supposed to be more vintage correct? (Mind you, I guess that anything to do with contouring won’t apply to Teles.)
    I wasn't aware the contouring had changed over the years.

Has it got more or less contoured as time went on?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    thegummy said:
    HAL9000 said:

Does it really matter unless you are a corksniffer?
    crunchman said:
    thegummy said:
    HAL9000 said:

Does it really matter unless you are a corksniffer?
    If the bodies are contoured differently then it answers the question of what makes them quite different guitars.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Yeah but really they're not different guitars, I'm so Fed up with fender being out the same strat and tele and just doing some minor tweeks , their is nothing new at all woth these vintera, it's just marketing bullshit. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Can't speak for the Strats, but I compared the outgoing Baja Tele with the new Vintera Modified Tele at PMT a couple of weeks ago. New pickups are much better and the satin neck is also much easier to play. Small changes that made a big difference. 
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    Can't speak for the Strats, but I compared the outgoing Baja Tele with the new Vintera Modified Tele at PMT a couple of weeks ago. New pickups are much better and the satin neck is also much easier to play. Small changes that made a big difference. 

I'm not a huge fan of satin necks.  In that case I'd probably go for a Baja second hand and change the pickups.  The Baja I had a year or two back sounded good with whatever the stock pickups were anyway.
    Yeah but really they're not different guitars, I'm so Fed up with fender being out the same strat and tele and just doing some minor tweeks , their is nothing new at all woth these vintera, it's just marketing bullshit. 
    So are you saying that the body contours aren't different?

timmypix said:
    Just to clarify, I'm comparing the Vintera Modified to the Player model rather than the Classic Player (Baja) line it replaced.
    crunchman said:
    timmypix said:

I'm not a huge fan of satin necks.  In that case I'd probably go for a Baja second hand and change the pickups.  The Baja I had a year or two back sounded good with whatever the stock pickups were anyway.
    It's only the bridge pickup that's changed anyway and not to one that's "better" in any objective way, just a different one.

Surprised you don't like satin necks, is that a look thing or feel?
    edited August 2019
    thegummy said:
    crunchman said:
    timmypix said:

It's only the bridge pickup that's changed anyway and not to one that's "better" in any objective way, just a different one.

Feel.  They improve over time and smooth out with a bit of playing, but I don't like them - with the exception of whatever PRS do on their S2 Satins.

Gloss can be a bit sticky to start with, but once they are worn in a bit, they feel a lot nicer.

I don't like the heavy relics with all the finish sanded off either.  Much prefer it with finish on.

crunchman said:
    thegummy said:
    crunchman said:
    timmypix said:

Feel.  They improve over time and smooth out with a bit of playing, but I don't like them - with the exception of whatever PRS do on their S2 Satins.

Gloss can be a bit sticky to start with, but once they are worn in a bit, they feel a lot nicer.

I don't like the heavy relics with all the finish sanded off either.  Much prefer it with finish on.

Cool man.

I've always found glossy necks a minor annoyance but just got on with it but then I decided to sand down the glossy neck on my bass and it's much better. I did wonder if some people like the feel or if it was just for looks.
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 359
    edited August 2019
    If the quality control is good, can’t see what more you (hah well I)  could want with the vintnera modifies telecasters! Custom shop pickups, modern radius, vintage vibe, satin neck - all perfect for me! 

Edit! I’ve just decided what would make it perfect for me, the 50s modified but with 9.5-12inch radius. So basically the custom shop post modern tele specs! 
    If the quality control is good, can’t see what more you (hah well I)  could want with the vintnera modifies telecasters! Custom shop pickups, modern radius, vintage vibe, satin neck - all perfect for me! 

Edit! I’ve just decided what would make it perfect for me, the 50s modified but with 9.5-12inch radius. So basically the custom shop post modern tele specs! 
    It's the Strat I'm looking at.

I'll be replacing the pickups anyway so I'm actually thinking what more could I want about the Player model.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I suppose the real question is are Fenders just slightly upgraded Squiers these days ?  I tried a Players Strat and  me like .
    rossi said:
    I suppose the real question is are Fenders just slightly upgraded Squiers these days ?  I tried a Players Strat and  me like .
    Isn't it basically always been the case, or at least for a long time, that at an arbitrary point in the Fender pricing structure, instruments have the Squier logo rather than Fender?

Is there anything apart from the logo that's definitively either brand?
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited August 2019
    Why are people upset to the point of anger that Fender have done some slight changes and rebranding to a midrange line? These all look great to me, maybe upgrades are small or trivial but Mexican guitars generally keep going from strength to strength so I can’t imagine they’re not an improvement on the standard line from a decade ago!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3896
    The pricing gap between standard and more vintage specs is there across the board - Squier Standards are cheaper the Classic Vibes, Player Series are cheaper than Vintera, American Professional are cheaper than American Original... maybe there is a reason, or maybe it’s because they know people like the vintage style and specs so they cash in.

Personally I like vintage Fender specs and I’ve just bought a Vintera Jazzmaster. It’s a brilliant guitar, the pickups sound great, it’s nice to play and the fit and finish are spot on. Well worth the money in my opinion.