Azure devops

What's Hot
Anyone an azure devops expert? 

If you managed a small team covering multiple varied software dev products covering categories of customer solutions,  internal business applications and infrastructure how would you structure it? 

Single project,  each product is an area path, custom field for categories

Single project,  categories are area paths,  custom field for products

One project per product

Something else

I'm erring on side of single project because I need overall visibility of all activity at any one time and because that's Microsoft's recommended approach,  however I can set draw backs to it. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    This is an English forum, please have the decency to use the English language on it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Ah yes. 

Oooh arrrr m'hearties, I be looking for a map that marks the spot where the Azure ops of dev be laying.   I be paying 1 wiz for ye troubles.  Arrrrr.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'd do the first. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No still can’t understand a word, is it something to do with chickens and eggs?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Yes. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Took me a while to realise you weren’t talking about a devops expert for the Azure cloud computing platform, but the actual software development management tool called Devops!

Anyway, have you considered a single project containing a hierarchy of areas, with top level areas representing categories, sub-divided into child areas for each product in that category?

Custom fields don’t seem necessary for what you’re trying to achieve.
    @Maynehead ; that's a nice idea but some times if a category is "infrastructure" it could apply to multiple products so would be a bit admin intensive to reconfigure the child areas for each product area.  Maybe a category could be a business area or even a tag.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I work in DevOps and I'm not sure I understand the question...

(Mind you, I focus on AWS.)
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited August 2019
    @Maynehead ;;; that's a nice idea but some times if a category is "infrastructure" it could apply to multiple products so would be a bit admin intensive to reconfigure the child areas for each product area.  Maybe a category could be a business area or even a tag.
    So I think one Area per product is probably a good idea, that way you can encapsulate the backlog of work for each product and allow you to track their individual statuses.

As for categories, if there is little intrinsic value to them other than a label, then have them as a custom field, and create all the project Areas as a flat structure. But if you want to leverage the extra management capabilities that an Area provides for each category (historic stats? Dashboard widgets? I'm just guessing here as I've never used Devops) then it might make sense to have a hierarchy of Areas. It's up to you.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Put your inter-project / external dependencies in the project backlogs to make sure they aren't forgotten
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'd go for "something else". I just don't know what it is yet.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Ok thanks for thr help.   I will be going with areas for products,  exactly as a neat container for all work items so I don't need to faff with holding open portfolio items forever.   I think it will work well.  I'll have categories as a custom field purely as a reporting dimension.