Dimarzio HSS wiring diagram

DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
 I've got a tone zone for the bridge and then fast track and air Norton rails pickups for middle and neck. I've been on the dimarzio site and can't find any diagrams for this configuration. The section where I thought they might be is just blank.

Please would someone be able to point me towards a page with diagrams, so I can get an idea of the options I can go for?
I've got a push pull pot, and either a standard or super switch to go in there.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

There are diagrams out there, it depends to some degree what you'd like to achieve. e.g.

WDU-HHH5L11-01

httpswwwseymourduncancomwp-contentuploads201505SCHSCHSCH_S5W_1V_1Tjpg

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Would it matter if the bridge pickup is a full size humbucker? Or is the wiring the same either way? I've been googling 'dimarzio hss wiring diagram'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    What sounds do you want? The simplest thing to do is to wire all three as series humbuckers and use a standard 5-way switch giving the stock Strat settings, but it sounds as if you'd like something more complicated.

The push-pull doesn't need to be used for coil splitting either, at the simplest it could be used to give the neck+bridge combination in either or both those positions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I'm not sure on the technical names for what I want, but something like

Bridge humbucker 
    One coil of bridge with the middle pickup (or 1 coil of?)
    Middle pickup
    One coil neck with middle 
    Neck as a humbucker

Then I imagined that id pull up the push pull and it would have them all as single coils, with the switching being like in a strat.

That can be done if you use the Ibanez RG wiring, with the pull-switch to manually split the bridge and neck pickups, but the balance between the pickups in the 2 and 4 positions might be a bit odd.

It would be very easy to have them all as humbuckers or all as single coils with the pull-switch and a standard 5-way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

In humbucker mode what would the in between positions do? Just both on, like the middle position of a Les Paul?
    Yes, or more like the middle position on a 3-pickup Les Paul - which is bridge and middle pickups together - the same sort of phase cancellation as a Strat but less thin and quacky.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    DefaultM said:
    Would it matter if the bridge pickup is a full size humbucker? 
    No.

The only things that matter are the conductor wire insulation colour codes and the physical orientation of the pickups. (DiMarzio glues the bar magnets into some of their pickups, making them tricky to flip or change.)

DefaultM said:
    I've been googling 'dimarzio hss wiring diagram'.
    The DiMarzio web site Support section insists on "helping" punters to find their required diagram by a sequence of menus. Unfortunately, not all of the possible destinations appear in the selection menus. 

Also, at the time of this writing, not all of the destinations are physically present. :scream: 
    Be seeing you.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Both the Seymour Duncan and Irongear websites have a good selection of wiring diagrams (I prefer the Irongear ones). You need to check the colour coding on your pickups and translate accordingly.