Shipping a dismantled bolt-on

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
I’m looking at shipping a bolt-on type guitar and considering doing so in component form, i.e. removing the neck and shipping in a smaller box (no case). Has anyone done similar? I suppose one downside is that the buyer may have trouble when reinstating but it should be fairly straightforward....and a smaller box must be less prone to the common headstock / neck joint breaks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    I had my Aria 'Strat' shipped to me from the US like that - the seller put it in a box long enough to take the neck diagonally, lined up over the longest dimension of the body and separated with several layers of cardboard, and the whole thing wrapped and packed very well in a second box - so the outer box was much shorter and slightly thicker than a normal guitar box, and is definitely less prone to damage. The bolts and neck plate were in a jiffy bag in the biggest clear space inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I sometimes take bolt on guitars in my luggage this way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Ok, time to get the measuring tape out then :)

Thanks all
  • That's how I sent my Performance to Rich for refinishing... no problems
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6861
    I had a buyer ask me to send one in bits once. 

So first I sent the bolts. 

Then the strings. 

etc etc.. 

He was pretty miffed but over the course of a fortnight it all arrived. 

Safer not to put all your generals in one boat I said. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    I got a guitar posted to me like that. By the time I’d EmpFabbed about putting it together I’d bought something else and it was surplus.

I bought it and sold it without ever putting it together.

It seems a great way to post unboxed guitars and I used the same method when I sold a different bolt on on here. I had less success with the Les Paul I sawed in half...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom