HH Strat - 3rd Knob Suggestions

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
I always prefer a master volume and tone so for a normal SSS Strat, the third knob is good for the blender mod.

But that isn't applicable for a HH setup so any suggestions for possible uses for the 3rd knob apart from a variable coil split?

Could always just leave it disconnected as a dummy knob or even have a pickguard made with only 2 holes for knobs but maybe there are some interesting uses that I haven't thought of?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Kill or blower switch 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Bass cut tone control.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DGT wiring is a flexible option 
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Active boost? Not that you really need it with humbuckers 
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    Cigarette lighter
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Eric Clapton (passive) mid-boost mod
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    No such thing as a passive boost. Just sayin'. :)

Devices such as the Clapton mid booster and EMG-SPC require a +9v supply.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168

Devices such as the Clapton mid booster and EMG-SPC require a +9v supply.
    You’re absolutely right - brain fart! I was thinking active along the lines of the EC Strat, but the wrong word came out... 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Some pedal steels have 70 degree tone knobs, I've quite fancied that idea on a guitar for swoopy tone swells. I understand that I am largely alone in this thought. 

Strats, even HH ones, always look slightly odd without that third knob.The current Squier HH has two knobs ( effectively removed the middle one) which looks gappy and odd.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Strats, even HH ones, always look slightly odd without that third knob.The current Squier HH has two knobs ( effectively removed the middle one) which looks gappy and odd.  
    I think they look much better with two knobs, if the volume is lower down - roughly halfway between the original top two positions. I always think the volume looks (and is, as well) much too close to the strings on a 3-knob one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    ICBM said:

I think they look much better with two knobs, if the volume is lower down - roughly halfway between the original top two positions. I always think the volume looks (and is, as well) much too close to the strings on a 3-knob one.
    Yeh, I think it’s better if it’s properly  rearranged. If you keep the three knob template but simply don’t include one knob ( like the Squier) it definitely looks odd. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:

Think I'd agree with that last sentence if I was seeing one for the first time just now.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Well my Strat Plus Deluxe doesn't have batteries and it has an original TBX mid boost, just sayin' (you're talking crap) ;) 

Modern Fender drop-in kits DO have batteries.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Neck volume?

I sometimes like to have my neck volume rolled down so that I can switch between a clean and dirty tone using my pickup selector.
    Jalapeno said:

Well my Strat Plus Deluxe doesn't have batteries and it has an original TBX mid boost, just sayin' (you're talking crap) ;)
    The TBX is not a mid boost. It's not even a bass and treble boost.

It's a passive tone control from 0 to 5 combined with a low-impedance load, which is progressively removed when turned up from 5 to 10, making the sound appear to become more lively, but in fact it's still less so than with a no-load tone control at 10.

• thegummy said:
    I always prefer a master volume and tone so for a normal SSS Strat, the third knob is good for the blender mod.

But that isn't applicable for a HH setup...

Excuse the (potentially very) stupid question, but; Why can't you blend two humbuckers?
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    thegummy said:

Excuse the (potentially very) stupid question, but; Why can't you blend two humbuckers?
    On a SSS Strat the blender mod blends in the neck if you're on the bridge and vice versa. It's not like a blender knob from a 2 pickup bass, for example.

But now that you mention it, having exactly that - a knob that blends between both pickups being full on to one being partially on is a good idea to add to the list of potential uses.
  • thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

On a SSS Strat the blender mod blends in the neck if you're on the bridge and vice versa. It's not like a blender knob from a 2 pickup bass, for example.

But now that you mention it, having exactly that - a knob that blends between both pickups being full on to one being partially on is a good idea to add to the list of potential uses.
    I've not actually got around to doing it myself (yet), but I've always thought a blend pot between a bridge H/B and a coil-tapped neck H/B would be a great idea.

Anyway; Happy experimenting!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • I'd personally keep it simple. I love Strats but hate the position of the volume knob and constantly hit it. To that end, for my regular Strats (SSS not HH) I've bought some pickguards which don't have the pot holes drilled, and I've drilled 1x tone and 1x volume, the latter moved to a position closer to the (missing) tone control. The walnut coloured Strat on the right has one of these guards fitted:
    https://i.imgur.com/CyYmUFV.jpg

If you are fine with the 3 knobs, then why not 2x volumes plus master tone (or master volume and 2x tones)? With the former you have a lot of tonal shades by relative levels of the two pickups. On Les Paul style guitars I prefer a bright neck pickup, and often leave the neck volume around 5 so I can switch rhythm to lead with the pickup selector. 
    edited August 2019
    ICBM said:

I like the way it's done here: